Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi all we have just returned from the first trip in our own van in France. We had a great time but suffered lots of problems. Just call me "Black Cloud",
On arrival at the tunnel credit card at the ready and booking reference number in hand, the terminal greeted me by name, said I was 4 hours early and gave me the option of paying extra to go on the next available train or take the one after for free. well having booked the cheapest rate at 1.30am being able to travel at 10.30pm was a big bonus, my credit card was not required and the gremlins managed to hide it on the floor whilst I gleefully pressed numerous buttons on the terminal. Strange experience the tunnel, so quiet, no clackitty clack from the rails and so smooth we failed to notice when we moved. So arrival in France no problem at all, even remembered to drive on the correct side of the road. Straight down the road toward St Martin stop for fuel, ah yes automated 24hr service. Great just what the weary traveller ordered. Open wallet, no credit card, damn I thought must have left it in Barnstaple when I filled up before leaving, ah well get it when I get home. I have a spare card that I use for online transactions. Oops no pin number can't use it I never bother to set one as didn't need it online. so there we were early hours of the morning dark, and fuel Gauge reading empty, no idea what that means on this van so stay the night on the forecourt. In the morning I am directed to another station that takes real money (of which we have precious little) so fill up and go find a bank. Try to phone and cancel my credit card, phone will not work, it is a PAYGO, so maybe not allowed. right set up the satnav to the next aire, "please find the nearest road" but I am on a road, sugar, the French maps are corrupt, no satnav. Aires book relies on satnav, our map crap and sue know where we are going but not where we are so when a junction presents itself there is a problem. I get out the laptop for which I have a plug in GPS, it refused to boot, the hard drive is knackered. by this time I am ready to turn around and go home. Four days later when I had calmed down a little my mind remembered I must have had the credit card with me so I go to the front and search, there it is The gremlin had hidden it under my guitar. We had to backtrack a few times because of low bridges and didn't know the height of the van. We only found one cyber café, tried to log into fun only to be told i am not a member and have to pay, yeah right, never in a million years must be a virus and someone trying to con me so I just switched off. It was only when I got to Frankie's, that I was told the truth of it. We had a fantastic time Frankie treated us like Royalty and truly made it the best holiday of our lives, THANK YOU. However I now have to sort out the silly things.

1) So what satnav and I will be looking secondhand will allow POI input, lat and long input as well as postcode. Must of course have street level Europe maps. Anyone updating to the latest all singing all dancing jobbies?

2) I don't use a mobile phone so pay monthly or contract is out of the question how do I get around roaming?

3) The laptop is a dell Latitude what is the largest hard drive I can squeeze into it.

4) where can I get a new memory chip for my brain?????????

5) nearly forgot, the satdish failed to tune anything but Hotbird. And the inverter constantly overheated (no built in fan)

6) also forgot the windscreen, massive stonechip on the first day there and spent the rest of the holiday waiting for the screen to shatter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
1) So what satnav and I will be looking secondhand will allow POI input, lat and long input as well as postcode. Must of course have street level Europe maps. Anyone updating to the latest all singing all dancing jobbies?

TomTom One XL Europe .. ticks all the boxes :thumb:

2) I don't use a mobile phone so pay monthly or contract is out of the question how do I get around roaming?

Activate roaming on your PAYG BEFORE leaving UK , call your provider

3) The laptop is a dell Latitude what is the largest hard drive I can squeeze into it.

can't help

nor here

5) nearly forgot, the satdish failed to tune anything but Hotbird. And the inverter constantly overheated (no built in fan)

practice tuning in the uk .. buy new invertor

6) also forgot the windscreen, massive stonechip on the first day there and spent the rest of the holiday waiting for the screen to shatter

call Autoglass

hope that helps Roger .. hee hee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
hi all we have just returned from the first trip in our own van in France. We had a great time but suffered lots of problems. Just call me "Black Cloud",
On arrival at the tunnel credit card at the ready and booking reference number in hand, the terminal greeted me by name, said I was 4 hours early and gave me the option of paying extra to go on the next available train or take the one after for free. well having booked the cheapest rate at 1.30am being able to travel at 10.30pm was a big bonus, my credit card was not required and the gremlins managed to hide it on the floor whilst I gleefully pressed numerous buttons on the terminal. Strange experience the tunnel, so quiet, no clackitty clack from the rails and so smooth we failed to notice when we moved. So arrival in France no problem at all, even remembered to drive on the correct side of the road. Straight down the road toward St Martin stop for fuel, ah yes automated 24hr service. Great just what the weary traveller ordered. Open wallet, no credit card, damn I thought must have left it in Barnstaple when I filled up before leaving, ah well get it when I get home. I have a spare card that I use for online transactions. Oops no pin number can't use it I never bother to set one as didn't need it online. so there we were early hours of the morning dark, and fuel Gauge reading empty, no idea what that means on this van so stay the night on the forecourt. In the morning I am directed to another station that takes real money (of which we have precious little) so fill up and go find a bank. Try to phone and cancel my credit card, phone will not work, it is a PAYGO, so maybe not allowed. right set up the satnav to the next aire, "please find the nearest road" but I am on a road, sugar, the French maps are corrupt, no satnav. Aires book relies on satnav, our map crap and sue know where we are going but not where we are so when a junction presents itself there is a problem. I get out the laptop for which I have a plug in GPS, it refused to boot, the hard drive is knackered. by this time I am ready to turn around and go home. Four days later when I had calmed down a little my mind remembered I must have had the credit card with me so I go to the front and search, there it is The gremlin had hidden it under my guitar. We had to backtrack a few times because of low bridges and didn't know the height of the van. We only found one cyber café, tried to log into fun only to be told i am not a member and have to pay, yeah right, never in a million years must be a virus and someone trying to con me so I just switched off. It was only when I got to Frankie's, that I was told the truth of it. We had a fantastic time Frankie treated us like Royalty and truly made it the best holiday of our lives, THANK YOU. However I now have to sort out the silly things.

6) also forgot the windscreen, massive stonechip on the first day there and spent the rest of the holiday waiting for the screen to shatter.

Well that sounded like fun (NOT).
Glad Frankie was able to soothe your fevered forehead.
Really must pay her a visit sometime. She's a delight on the Forum.

You don't need a new brain, Roger - just Jim's Checklists. ::bigsmile:

John

PS What's Hotbird, or shouldn't I ask (in which case it sounds like fun). :RollEyes::Blush::Smile:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well that sounded like fun (NOT).
Glad Frankie was able to soothe your fevered forehead.
Really must pay her a visit sometime. She's a delight on the Forum.

You don't need a new brain, Roger - just Jim's Checklists. ::bigsmile:

John

PS What's Hotbird, or shouldn't I ask (in which case it sounds like fun). :RollEyes::Blush::Smile:
Hotbird is another satellite, we found an English spearking Japanese program on there, plus a good horse channel (Italian) for sue and an interesting Polish channel. Well multinational.
As to the checklist I have one, it is in the van and never remembered to consult it once, however I didn't forget anything it was all in the van just couldn't remember where, hee hee.
Frankie is coming to shepton Mallet show so get booked and come and meet her.

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Hi Wildman.

That doesnt sound like a enjoyable start to the trip. Well done for making the most of it.:RollEyes:
We spent June in France and travelled to Montpillier on the south coast from Dover. This was our first trip abroad in the buggy and we used a Tomtom GO730 with european mapping. It worked a treat for avoidng tolls and got us to all our destinations problem free using long & lat. I use it a lot for work driving around Antwerp and Rotterdam to find different ports of loading. God send:thumb:
We also had the ACSI dvd which had the choice of downloading all the sites to sat nav or it will print of the routes for you prior to departure.
Mark

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Bless!

I cannot go on holiday without forgetting summat, and can't really relax until I know what that thing is, this time! It might just be meaning to get a new packet of adhesive plasters and totally forgetting to, or it could be summat important, you know - like having bought new loo roll and putting it in the hall ready to put in the van - and having walked straight past it!

Glad you enjoyed it despite the glitch!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Roger you wouldnt be happy if you didnt have a glitch or two - go on admit it those glitches allowed you to have a moan or two :swear: and allowed you to impress Sue with your ability to cope under stress:shout:
:Blush::Blush:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Roger you wouldnt be happy if you didnt have a glitch or two - go on admit it those glitches allowed you to have a moan or two :swear: and allowed you to impress Sue with your INability to cope under stress:shout:
:Blush::Blush:
slight correction Maggie

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi Roger

When we had to work for a living and a member of staff said things were not going to plan we always said well the PLAN must have been crap then
go and re-write it.

Glad it all came good in the end though, it really is all part of the FUN

Alan

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
:ROFLMAO:Thanks for the tips on what might or might not happen when we go next week

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well Roger there is a simple solution - just get yourself this side of Exmoor there is some excellent cider - may not help you sort your problems out but after a few pints of Somersets best scrumpy you won't remember what they are:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
go on the tomtom site and have a look at the refurbished ones they sell they are cheap I do not know how long the warranty lasts tho

Link Removed

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Sounds like that Holiday you will always remember for all the wrong reasons :Doh:

We have a basic Tomtom One europe, it does all you want. We used it all around France in April and then again in June and never had any problems. Glenn just put in the GPS co-ordinates and we got to the aires and camp sites with very little trouble....it was only His shortcuts that made things tricksy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If you think France is "interesting" you want to try driving through the centre of Madrid at rush hour:Angry:

Glad you both made it back safe and sound

Tina

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hotbird is another satellite, we found an English spearking Japanese program on there, plus a good horse channel (Italian) for sue and an interesting Polish channel. Well multinational.
As to the checklist I have one, it is in the van and never remembered to consult it once, however I didn't forget anything it was all in the van just couldn't remember where, hee hee.
Frankie is coming to shepton Mallet show so get booked and come and meet her.

Hello Roger,
Yes I heard she was being chaperoned by JJ.

Unfortunately we'll be on our way back home from Austria and Bavaria at the time of the Shepton Show (not in the MH), but we may call in for a day to have a look, and meet some Funsters.

John

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
but we may call in for a day to have a look, and meet some Funsters.

Oh do hope you can manage it !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bubbles

Free Member
Feb 21, 2010
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have just returned from France and boy am I glad none of those things happened to us as we had 3 small kids with us. There would have been divorce before we got home.

Glad it all worked out tho.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back