So motorhome guru's... (1 Viewer)

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
At long last I'm in the market for a motorhome, so, what models have overcab doubles and a U shaped rear lounge that can be a double or two front to back singles ( i.e. room for a fold out cot inbetween )
I guess I'll be talking six berth even though I only need four ?

tks
PS just subscribed so have had to go for the cheap wine tonight :)

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Welcome to the Fun and with all the tips you get on here you will get your subs back so will be back on the expensive stuff before you know it :ROFLMAO:

Sorry I cant suggest a vehicle suitable because if your gonna want space for a cot another Funster will no doubt be able to recommend one. Good luck in your search.

Da;e

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
I've seen plenty that fit the bill but they have the table combo for the extra double mid way down the van, hence the 6 berth and extra expense, Ive a reasonable budget but I'll need seatbelts to so I may end up going the six berth route and just leaving the table permanently up

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Not a guru, but here are some we looked at that you may consider.

All described as 6 berth. Not 100% apart from the sundance/ Bessacar if they can have two singles at the back.

Autotrail Apache 700
Swift Sundance 630L
Bessacarr E495
Swift Escape 686
Ellddis Autoquest 180

The middle three are all Swift group and very similar layouts, but comfort levels differ.

There will be more that others will chip in about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Autotrails look well finished

John,
budget anywhere from 25-35k for the right van
as for location.... the frozen north::bigsmile: Aberdeen

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
SWIFT kontiki 640L.

approx sizes....

rear 'U' lounge which makes two 6ft x 2ft 6in singles or a large 6ft x 6ft 6in double.

overcab double..6ft 6in x 4ft 6in though really only big enough for kids or smaller adults due to lowish headroom.

four seat dinette which makes into a 6ft x 4ft double .

Just so happens mine may be for sale in the next two or three weeks.:winky: :thumb:

OH! and 3 point belts on the forward facing dinnete seats.

Upvote 0

jg147

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
new
Hi and welcome, you know the expensive wine is overrated::bigsmile:

We bought a Swift Kon Tiki 645 (08) this is a 5 birth/4 seat belts. It has now been replaced with the 649 that is a tag (twin wheel) and much bigger.
Not sure you would fit a cot at the back, but in ours we do not have a dinette at the front it is 2 forward seats to travel with belts and then just a long sofa (clear as mud:ROFLMAO:) This gives us more space at the kitchen and the driver/passenger seats swivel round. This would offer more room for a cot. I know the Swift voyager do this layout without the sofa part as a bit smaller on length, it might be worth a look and the benefit of both is a seperate shower. A front dinette takes up space and the kids do not have as good a view. Ours also have a tv point so our son can watch whilst travelling as it runs of 12v. Once we arrive it then offers us an extra tv for his games whilst we relax in the back with a movie ect if the weather is wet

We also looked at the Autotrail Scout and Apache700? but we decided the Swift looked more stylish and suited us. Of course this is personal as both will have loyal followers.

Hope this helps and happy searching.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have a Swift Kontiki 640. The rear lounge bed is brilliant and flipping huge. Or you could sleep in it as two singles with space in the middle for a small cot. You will get a good one within your budget.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I guess I'll be talking six berth even though I only need four ?
PS just subscribed so have had to go for the cheap wine tonight :)

You won't go far wrong if you assume that 4 berth = 2, 6 = 4 until you can prove the last two are not just suitable for kids.

Once you are a true FUNster you'll easily cope with cheap plonk. I've heard €1 per litre mentioned, multi-purpose fluid, drink it and wash you feet in it. The real hardened FUNsters wash their feet in it and then drink it.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I reckon if your going for a coach built the bigger the better really. There are only 2 of us in our 6 berth. Loads of space for long trips and more storage than we need.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You won't go far wrong if you assume that 4 berth = 2, 6 = 4 until you can prove the last two are not just suitable for kids.

Once you are a true FUNster you'll easily cope with cheap plonk. I've heard €1 per litre mentioned, multi-purpose fluid, drink it and wash you feet in it. The real hardened FUNsters wash their feet in it and then drink it.

Which is only slightly better than drinking it and then washing your feet in it eekkk yucky.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Ahhh
Memories of the Italian Job. Lake Gada, Bardolino €1 a litre
What more could a man want?

Welcome to the Funsters

:welcomefunster:flyingwelcome
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Memories of the Italian Job. Lake Gada, Bardolino €1 a litre

That was the expensive stuff Chris.:winky:

What more could a man want?

Bill's Vino Collapso at €3 for 5 litres.:whatthe:

Welcome to the Fun.:thumb:

Brisey

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Not a guru, but here are some we looked at that you may consider.

All described as 6 berth. Not 100% apart from the sundance/ Bessacar if they can have two singles at the back.

Autotrail Apache 700
Swift Sundance 630L
Bessacarr E495
Swift Escape 686
Ellddis Autoquest 180

The middle three are all Swift group and very similar layouts, but comfort levels differ.

There will be more that others will chip in about.

Out of the makes listed above , which would you put at the top and bottom of a build quality/finish quality league table ( lights blue touchpaper and retires to safe distance ) :Smile:

Upvote 0

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I don't think the Eldiss can have two singles in the back, but not sure. Re quality, all probably much of a muchness in the sense that you can get good ones and bad ones. My impression is that Swift/Bessacarr probably has the best after-sales support, but new ones do seem to have their fair share of problems (or is that just because more of them get sold?)

One vital ingredient - maybe the most important of all - is the dealer you buy from, and some research on here will help you identify the heros and villains.

Overall advice is go for it, it's a great lifestyle and you've picked our favourite layout which works well for two, four or six.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
I suspect I will probably buy privately but would obvioulsy consider a dealer for the right van at the right ( slightly/largely inflated to cover overheads/warranty/spit'n'polish ) price..:roflmto:

It would be a right pain in the @rse taking any motorhome back to the selling dealer for work from Aberdeen when the bigest population of motorhome dealers ( and thus choice ) are in Englandshire

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

John,

Whatever you do don't go to i wont mention there name based in perthshire i have dealt with Knowpark caravans for over 20 years and i have found them to be the best

Bill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
could that be one a dual carraigway between the city of roundabouts and Perth ? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
nice call on Knowpark, thet've just got in a BESSACARR E700 E795 2.8 JTD that looks ok, just arrived though so not much detail...

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
nice call on Knowpark, thet've just got in a BESSACARR E700 E795 2.8 JTD that looks ok, just arrived though so not much detail...

I have the Bessacarr E765s fixed 2.8 fixed bed at rear no problems to date Ask for young Robert and tell him that Bill from Airdrie says that you have to get the best deal

Bill:Cool::Cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
I'm sure there'll be significant discount for no trade in to a fellow Scotsman like myself ( Ok I'm from Lancashire ) :Doh:

Upvote 0

Porche040

Free Member
Jul 30, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
Sundance 630L

We have a Swift Sundance 630L which would be perfect for your needs. My eldest son (age 11) sleeps on the overhead cab bed and my youngest son (age 9) sleeps on the dining area bed and my husband and I (no age declared!) sleep on the rear bed and our dog Rascal sleeps by the door.

The rear u shape lounge on our 2009 model is bigger than some of the newer 2010 models as the bathrooms have been made slightly bigger in the newer models. The rear area on our model can also be used as to single beds and a cot would fit in between.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

John,

Your a bit far away from us but have a look on our website, there is a good selection of all sorts on there with pictures. at least it will give you some ideas.

Pre Owned Motorhomes

Look in the Sold section as well for lots more

Sold

Good luck

Peter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Not neccesarily so, cash deals are not that attractive as there is nothing to 'go again with'

Peter

but surely there's an element of 'uplift' in the price to make the person with the trade in happy too ?

This looking for M/H's is a pain with an AB15 postcode ! I've quickly discovered there's a low probability of something turning up within a 50 mile radius :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back