How do you keep yourselves occupied? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
Pete and I had our first Winter away last year, in Spain and Portugal, and loved it.

However, the drive down was, at times, a little boring especially on some of the less attractive roads.

This year, we will be leaving Calais on the 27th Dec, and aiming to be in Spain by New Year's Eve (weather permitting - last year was pretty hairy at times!), so want to get plenty of miles under our belt each day.

I like 'listening' to books, but find them distracting when driving, but as Pete does most of the driving, and he doesn't like them, they're not an option.

We're wracking our brains to remember how we kept our children entertained when they were small - in the days before DVDs etc in cars, but are stumped, hence my question to you guys.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks, Di

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dump the talking books on to an IPOD .. You can listen all you want without bothering old misery guts over there !

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Here are some of the things our parents used to keep my brothers and I occupied on long journeys

Memory games eg
I went to the shop and bought ....................

each person has to add one item to the list but has to remember everything already on the list.

I spy

Name that tune - one would hum a tune someone had to guess it

Guess the item - someone would describe an item giving one clue at a time.

A-Z games using different topics going through the alphabet trying to name eg animals with the letters of the alphabet

We also used to sing songs too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The longest we've been in the MH so far was in May. Wakefield to the I.O.W. about 5 hours .
It flew by , even though we hit some road works on the way down. We stopped only the once , before the ferry . We usually have some good Cd's to listen to. The kids look out for other MH's play a few games until they start to fall out .:RollEyes:
Then they watch DVDs or listen to Ipods , play with Psp's , ds's.. teenagers :Doh:
When they were younger we got away with nursery rhyme tapes , I spy , numberplate games etc not any more.

When we go to Aviemore over the New year it will take approx 6 and a half hours. Without stopping .
We may stop off at Glasgow to see Ralph's uncle Bobby. Stay overnight on their drive to break up the journey.
If not I'd probably end up spending the last couple of hours telling the kids to "pack it in "
as after 4 hours they usually start with the ,
" mum hes looking at me "
"mum her knees on my side "
"mum tell him "
etc etc
Oh to be bored with the peace and quiet:ROFLMAO:
Bev

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Here are some of the things our parents used to keep my brothers and I occupied on long journeys

Memory games eg
I went to the shop and bought ....................

each person has to add one item to the list but has to remember everything already on the list.

I spy

Name that tune - one would hum a tune someone had to guess it

Guess the item - someone would describe an item giving one clue at a time.

A-Z games using different topics going through the alphabet trying to name eg animals with the letters of the alphabet

We also used to sing songs too

fine for a young family Gail but just as distracting for the driver, if he/she is joining in, as listening to audio books or talking on a mobile....concentrating on other things except the road.

i'v tried audio books when i'm 'johnie-no-mates' driving to meets but find my mind wanders and i stop taking in whats being read out so i stick radio 2 on and it doesnt matter if i miss a bit then :winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Try talking to each other! It works for us!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I gave up marathon driving journeys years ago, we take plenty of breaks and don't drive more than a few hours each day .. sometimes only an hour or so to the next aire..

I appreciate you have given yourselves a tight schedule .. needs must etc.. but it wouldn't be me.. as it says in my signature ...

OP
OP
Blondi
Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the replies so far - we do talk to each other, and thoroughly enjoy it - honestly!!

Some good ideas, and Pete reminded me - any card players out there, try scoring a crib hand using number plates.

Thanks, Di

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
As far as we're concerned, the journey is all part of the holiday. We've taken a week to get to Scotland before now, and it's only about 200 miles above us.
When we visit our son in Didcot it's exactly 228 miles door to door, could be done in about 4 hours or so no stops. We usually take around 10 hours.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
When Emily was younger the cd's were a god send, then as she got older we played I spy, I describe ( where you describe an object and the others guess), something beginning with?? and its usually outside on the road or in the car/motorhome. The best bit is when she falls asleep and we can listen to what we want on the radio :roflmto:. I then keep Graham wide awake by saying "slow down", watch the edge of the road or they're braking, there's a crossing ahead, then he whacks me across the head and I fall alseep ( only joking ), but I do fall asleep and hey presto we're at our destination :ROFLMAO:

wintercamper

Free Member
May 15, 2010
Lancs
Funster No
Learn a foreign language, a friend of ours does this on long trips. Says it can be quite funny and keeps them amused for hours. We intend to do this for our trips abroad next year.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This year, we will be leaving Calais on the 27th Dec, and aiming to be in Spain by New Year's Eve (weather permitting - last year was pretty hairy at times!), so want to get plenty of miles under our belt each day.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks, Di

Have you seen my Spanish Job rough costings ? I really think that the Santander ferry is the most economical route now. It would be interesting to hear your views.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Just stop every so often and have wild passionate sex.

Then try it with each other...........................

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With our 'sealegs'? No chance I'm afraid - Eurotunnel with Tesco vouchers everytime.
Di

There are ways !

I was working in Dublin a few years ago. First crossing there was a southerly gale. All I could do was stand on deck grip the rail and think of England. I was not alone. How I didn't throw up I do not know, it was close.

First job over there was visit a chemist. They sold me some Kwells. So return journey I popped one and even though it was *rough*, no problem. Repeated this the following week.

Then there was the Newcastle - Norway trip. I clung onto the edge of the bed for hours, just to stay in it, then...... ever so up tight and personal with the porcelain. They must have heard me all over the ship. So when I was near death I staggered down to reception and begged "anything that will either kill or cure me, I don't care which, but kill seems ever such a good idea".

So this pretty Norwegian girl said "it is too late for pills, you must use this suppository, you understand, you must not put it in the mouth". Pure magic. I was cured instantly. On the return I bought a pill at reception, bit drowsy but I ate a meal and slept.

So there are ways and means. We'll be taking that pack of Kwells with us.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As sad as it sounds, we put Simply Red on and sing our socks off. She knows all the words and is gifted with a voice that is difficult to distinguish between Mick and herself. Me, I just smile at the bemused passersby and remember they can see but they can’t hear me.:Cool:
Great way to pass an hour or two and it really perks you up.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As sad as it sounds, we put Simply Red on and sing our socks off.

The moderators have removed your message, in future please remember that this is a family forum and the content will be read by children. This sets a very bad example to young susceptible people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back