Camos Dome (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Guys been thinking in getting a dome fitted i have had a quote of £1,400.00 to supply and install is this about right

Bill :thumb::thumb:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Guys been thinking in getting a dome fitted i have had a quote of £1,400.00 to supply and install is this about right

Bill :thumb::thumb:

Sounds like a good all in price, i have been considering getting one as well and was quoted £1600 or maybe I was just being completely fleeced.

Who is offering it at that price?

Cheers
Gary

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Sounds like a good all in price, i have been considering getting one as well, who is offering it at that price?

Cheers
Gary

The local mh dealer (Knowpark Caravans) i forgot to say that is a 40cm dome regarding the price i don't know if that is his standard cost or cost to me as i have had 2 motor homes and 4 c/vans over the years

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When getting a quote make sure it is 'like for like' there are four models of Camos domes..
Prices from around £1200 up to £1700

30cm and 40cm static

30cm and 40cm in-motion

For the UK the 30cm is more than adequate .. further afield the 40 cm would be advisable.

Unless you plan to watch on the move, buy a static..

Installation is very straightforward requiring only one coax cable, run from controller to dome.. Bear in mind you need a satellite digital box, not included in price

£200 to install seems a little steep, should take no longer than a couple of hours for a competent installer.

Apologies if you know all this already ..

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
When getting a quote make sure it is 'like for like' there are four models of Camos domes..
Prices from around £1200 up to £1700

30cm and 40cm static

30cm and 40cm in-motion

For the UK the 30cm is more than adequate .. further afield the 40 cm would be advisable.

Unless you plan to watch on the move, buy a static..

Installation is very straightforward requiring only one coax cable, run from controller to dome.. Bear in mind you need a satellite digital box, not included in price

£200 to install seems a little steep, should take no longer than a couple of hours for a competent installer.

Apologies if you know all this already ..

Thanks for that the quote is for a 40cm static does not include the box. question the control box is it 12 volt or 240 or both

Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for that the quote is for a 40cm static does not include the box. question the control box is it 12 volt or 240 or both

Bill

Hi Bill .. 12 v ... according to Camos "The system runs on any voltage between 10V-30V and uses less than 2 Amps when searching and none at all when the satellite has been located."

full specs here Link Removed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don't forget that the VDO and Camos system come out of the same factory just a different sticker stuck on, and the VDO domes are cheaper!

The 40cm static retails at around £1149.00 and you can normally get good deals on installation!

Just a thought

Eddie

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Leisuretech in Clitheroe did mine about a year and a half ago for I think £1350 and it included a Max view free to air box and they made up an adaptor for my little flip top DVD player / tv. I think the free to air boxes are only about £50 but I wanted the whole lot doing properly and wanted to see it working before I left. Its all 12v including the free to air box.

Its a brilliant system. Ours has never let us down and worked well all over europe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
An alternative

I think the best thing about the Dome is that it isn't affected by the wind .. something nearly all conventional dishes suffer from ..
my Maxview crank up was particularly sensitive to this and had to be cranked down in windy weather.. just at the time when you are most likely to need it.. :Doh:

For those on a tight budget I think the the Camos crank up flat is a worthy contender, has had great reviews in both ease of operation and stability in wind.. it would be my choice if buying again..

Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Has anybody got a Neta satellite dome, I have been offfered one by LCS Leisure, just wondered how they performed

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I think the best thing about the Dome is that it isn't affected by the wind .. something nearly all conventional dishes suffer from ..
my Maxview crank up was particularly sensitive to this and had to be cranked down in windy weather.. just at the time when you are most likely to need it.. :Doh:

For those on a tight budget I think the the Camos crank up flat is a worthy contender, has had great reviews in both ease of operation and stability in wind.. it would be my choice if buying again..

Link Removed

Jim at present i have free standing Maxview dish works fine the reason for the dome is that it is fully automated but i have to consider the price of 2 min of my time to set this up as apposed to pushing a button

Bill

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Link Removed

I agree,

Weve had the flat sat plus for a while now and its spot on. I coudnt justify a fully automated system when I can tune in the flat sat so easily.

Jim

:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I agree that its a lot of money just to watch tele when you can get a suitcase system for £60. I think it depends on how much you are going to use it. We spend a lot of time in the van including all over winter, I got sick of trying to tune in the crappy status ariel. We do watch a lot of tv when the weather is not great and can spend a lot of time in the van. I get frustrated very quickly if stuff just doesnt work so for us the Camos has been worth it. The only downside is it meant last summer no matter how many countries we went to I couldnt get away from Big Brother! Mrs D is an addict. Yep I know a bit sad. Equally it meant I could watch Top Gear etc anywhere.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree that its a lot of money just to watch tele when you can get a suitcase system for £60.

indeed, but there is middle ground, the suitcase jobies are fiddly to set up, I had one and wouldn't recommend.. unless you have the patience of Job.

A crank up is less than half the price of a Dome, easy to align and has no electronics to go wrong .. as they do, I like things you can fix with a hammer and gaffer tape. :roflmto:

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
Totally agree with Jim, Camos crank up the way to go, well engineered piece of kit, also stands up to fairly strong airflow which a few other makes suffer from.

chriscoate

Free Member
Jul 13, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Facing the same dilemma, i eventually went for the Camos Plus Flat Sat with the slightly bigger 'dish' and twin LNB - this was a real 'must' for me with the HD+ box and something that further escalates the price of domes. The Glomex looks good value but doent seem to have a twin LNB model at present . After a few set-ups I can now find good old Astra 2 really quickly.
Having just returned from Denmark I was amazed that we could still watch BBC HD (hence Footie, tennis etc) on the west coast (Esbjerg) although not in Copenhagen. However, Sky sports and Movies were accessible for the whole trip.
Rgds,
Chris.

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
if you want to wait me and smith 123 are traveling through europe together for a month and we can do a like for like review on reception etc as i have the camos dome and he has the camos crank up plus

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
if you want to wait me and smith 123 are traveling through europe together for a month and we can do a like for like review on reception etc as i have the camos dome and he has the camos crank up plus

I would be very interested in your review of the Camos crank up plus, as we are wanting a system which will work in Spain, north of Barcelona.

We have also been trying to find out about the Glomex system, which also looks very good, particularly in terms of the footprint. The only trouble is I keep asking questions and nobody comes back with the answers from Outdoor bits.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on the Glomex system ie whether they do a twin LNB and where I can get one fitted.

Ginny

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
not sure where you will get the info on the glomex system but will be more than happy to review both our systems on return

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Facing the same dilemma, i eventually went for the Camos Plus Flat Sat with the slightly bigger 'dish' and twin LNB - this was a real 'must' for me with the HD+ box and something that further escalates the price of domes. The Glomex looks good value but doent seem to have a twin LNB model at present . After a few set-ups I can now find good old Astra 2 really quickly.
Having just returned from Denmark I was amazed that we could still watch BBC HD (hence Footie, tennis etc) on the west coast (Esbjerg) although not in Copenhagen. However, Sky sports and Movies were accessible for the whole trip.
Rgds,
Chris.

Hi, Could someone please explain - in simple terms - why a satellite will pull in sports and movies (pay channels) but not normal BBC etc?? A friend of ours in Santa Suzanna had a dome fixed to his new van and was assured it would work fine north of Barcelona. No chance, he could only pull in news and rubbish programs on his free view box, BUT when he rang and complained to his supplier, he was told if he had taken his Sky+ box he would have no trouble watching Sky 1, movies and sports, all the pay channels. This does not make sense to me, either you can fix on the satellite or you can't, what difference does the channel make??

Ginny

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
Hi, Could someone please explain - in simple terms - why a satellite will pull in sports and movies (pay channels) but not normal BBC etc?? A friend of ours in Santa Suzanna had a dome fixed to his new van and was assured it would work fine north of Barcelona. No chance, he could only pull in news and rubbish programs on his free view box, BUT when he rang and complained to his supplier, he was told if he had taken his Sky+ box he would have no trouble watching Sky 1, movies and sports, all the pay channels. This does not make sense to me, either you can fix on the satellite or you can't, what difference does the channel make??

Ginny

not 100% but they may have to lock on to the southern astra 2 if its a camos system like mine you just press a white button and it locks on.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Because they are on different beams. UK FTA channels (BBC / ITV C4 etc) are broadcast on Astra 2D which has the narrowest beam / footprint. These channels are supposed to be available only in the UK but we motorhomers benefit from the satellite's overspill. Sky subscription channels are broadcast on Astra 2 North and South beams. These have much wider coverage (most of Europe). You can also get BBC News, CNN and Sky News on the South beam, but not the general programmes.

I am on a steep learning curve (sitting in Bavaria) with a relatively new Camos 40. I cannot get UK FTA here, but the news channels (and radio) can be pulled in on Astra 2 South.

Philip

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I found the range of our Camos Dome 40 for all the UK channels to be as far east as the edge of Bavaria, Northern Italian lakes, all along the med and just into Northern Spain on both the med and atlantic sides. At these extremes any bad weather such as heavy rain would break it up but otherwise its very good. You can of course tune it to other sats quite easily so it will work all over but mainly foreign rubbish

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
I found the range of our Camos Dome 40 for all the UK channels to be as far east as the edge of Bavaria, Northern Italian lakes, all along the med and just into Northern Spain on both the med and atlantic sides. At these extremes any bad weather such as heavy rain would break it up but otherwise its very good. You can of course tune it to other sats quite easily so it will work all over but mainly foreign rubbish

did you have to change any settings? we set off friday and have never used it so far down yet

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Because they are on different beams. UK FTA channels (BBC / ITV C4 etc) are broadcast on Astra 2D which has the narrowest beam / footprint. These channels are supposed to be available only in the UK but we motorhomers benefit from the satellite's overspill. Sky subscription channels are broadcast on Astra 2 North and South beams. These have much wider coverage (most of Europe). You can also get BBC News, CNN and Sky News on the South beam, but not the general programmes.

I am on a steep learning curve (sitting in Bavaria) with a relatively new Camos 40. I cannot get UK FTA here, but the news channels (and radio) can be pulled in on Astra 2 South.

Philip

Hi Phillip,

Yours was the best explanation of this problem I have read, thanks.

Can I ask a supplementary question. If you are paying for say, the Sky 1 package and movies you can get them on the north on south beam - yes? Does that mean that Sky have separate beams for the pay channels and the normal BBC etc? To be honest I could do without FTA as long as the SKy 1 package and movies worked!!

Ginny

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Last year I used a freestanding dish for sky on my trip round France. Most of the time I could find the signal but sometimes I could have thrown the lot away because of frustration at it.
This year I decided to have a Camos 40 Static dome automatic system fitted, it cost £1600 inc vat from White Arches Welingborough. A fantastic bit of kit. Apart from when parked in a forest the system picked up the sky signal within 30 seconds and had no problems.

However

My m/h is an Auto Trail Scout height 3.05m, last year at all toll boths on the French motorway network I was charged "class 2" the same as a car, even the unmanned booths! This year at all manned booths I was charged "class2" but at the automatic unmanned booths the height measuring device measured to the top of the dome, about 3.40m and charged me "class 3" ie as a lorry. Ouch*********** one section charged me €72 whilst others in cars were charged €25. So be warned avoid unmanned peage stations.

Robert

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I agree,

Weve had the flat sat plus for a while now and its spot on. I coudnt justify a fully automated system when I can tune in the flat sat so easily.

Jim

:Smile:

Hi Jim, have you used the flat sat plus just in the uk or abroad? Have you ever had it working in Spain???

Ginny

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
i would get the the camos crank up plus, we are in croatia at the mo smith123 has the camos plus i have the dome 40cm his works mine doesnt they have been the same all way down until here and mines not working, none of us have had bbc 1,2 itv or channel 4 dont know why ??, but i would keep your brass in your pocket and by the camos plus

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back