Mercedes quality - fact or phantom? (1 Viewer)

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Although our Bessie is on a Fiat, I'm posting this in the Mercedes section as I'm curious to know whether MB's quality image is actually deserved so far as the Sprinter is concerned.

I'm now on my third Mercedes estate. The first (a W124 230TE) blew it's engine before it had time to go rust, the second (a W124 300TE) didn't blow it's engine but was rusting away merrily at 13 years old, and my current W210 E320 is a rust bucket in every sense of the word. Particularly annoying is the fact that the so-called 'goodwill gesture' under which MB kindly allowed me to pay £570 towards what was supposed to be repairs to affected parts is now going rusty again just 13 months later.

Maybe I'm the mug for sticking with MB for so long, but I do find it amusing when I read the gushing praise which the motorhome mags tend to lavish on any MB-based motorhome for its 'prestige' and 'quality' and so on when my experience of their car bodywork design, rust-proofing and paintwork has been so at variance with this image.

Is it just the cars, or do Sprinters suffer from the same issues?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I know it's not quite the same, but modern BMW motorbikes are not a patch on the older ones.

Modern vehicle manufacture is ruled by accountants - build them down to a price.

MB are no different from what I can see

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Although our Bessie is on a Fiat, I'm posting this in the Mercedes section as I'm curious to know whether MB's quality image is actually deserved so far as the Sprinter is concerned.

Search on here and discover the thread of the poor FUNster who had to pay something like 11K when his Merc MH holed a piston in France. Part of the thread found it not uncommon and Merc did nothing to help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its everywhere, I was looking at (Looking only) a £120,000 RV. A Damon, the "real wood":RollEyes: veneers were peeling, cupboard handles were hanging off and the toilet door would not close. If they are skimping where we can see, what are they doing where we can't . :Eeek: as little as 8 years ago Damon build quality was superb.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Merc Sprinters.......bloody nightmare.

We had 3 from new all bought within 4 weeks of each other. I can honestly say in the 3 years we had them all 3 were on the road and running at the same time for about 14 months, the rest of the time one or more of them was in the garage either being fixed or waiting for parts.:cry:

We had absolute nightmares with the engine management systems and the brakes. :Eeek:

The very day the 3 year warranty expired we got shut of the bloody things and replaced them with Iveco Daily vans which are quite simply the best vans we have ever owned.:thumb:::bigsmile:

I would never ever buy another Merc as long as I live, they are quite simply expensive crap. :Sad:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
merc sprinter

I just know I`m a bloody fool for writing this but have to say we have had our Merc sprinter based motorhome for almost a year now and I would`nt want anything else, it has the Sprint shift auto gearbox (which apparently is actually a semi auto box) not certain of the difference but ours is faultless.

Going in for a service tomorrow so I suppose I should have left this until I got it back..:Doh:

I think it has a worn lower ball joint as the near side tyre is wearing on the outside edge but apparently Sprinters are heavy on ball joints.
We have just done 2600 miles touring around Scotland and it managed to return 27 mpg which we are delighted with.

So would I buy another... most certainly :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have never owned a Merc but as a general observation their panel vans do seem to run to rust quickly.

Doug...

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I have never owned a Merc but as a general observation their panel vans do seem to run to rust quickly.

Doug...

Agree with you on that point, but as most seem to be fleet vans and only kept for three years, I don't think they care. Built to a price not quality.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Agree with you on that point, but as most seem to be fleet vans and only kept for three years, I don't think they care. Built to a price not quality.

Dave :thumb::thumb:
This is quite accurate - all vans rust wildly as they are made for the lease market, which accounts for something like 70% of sales. They keep them for 3 years and who cares after that.

Engines are pretty good - there was a glitch year or two where engine management was a major problem, but they do withstand high mileage and loads without too much issue.

Mercedes cars, again are quite reliable engine wise, the e-class did have a rot problem with rear arches and front flitches/crossmember. This is due to it being a bit of a dirt trap and being covered by body. Mine has the arch issue, which I will sort out - but after all it is a cheap runabout at 65mpg!:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have a daughter who works for Ocado, delivering Waitrose groceries to folk. They run both Merc Sprinter and Fiat Ducato vans.

The Merc gearboxes have been utter rubbish, as someone else said, to have em all running at the same time was just about unheard of. So when we said , Dunno, should we risk buying a Fiat? she replied :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (that was a Yes, then!)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
sprinter

I have my second older style (2000) sprinter with the 2.9 5cyl engine,no cam belt (has a timing chain), far less electronics, ( less to go wrong) Regular servicing usely means that they will go for 500 thousand miles.
Not as quick as a CDI model but, with it chipped up from 122bhp to 147bhp it's quick enough if you want it to be but, if your like us and retired there's no rush,take your tme and get 28/30mpg !! great. :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have a daughter who works for Ocado, delivering Waitrose groceries to folk. They run both Merc Sprinter and Fiat Ducato vans.

The Merc gearboxes have been utter rubbish, as someone else said, to have em all running at the same time was just about unheard of. So when we said , Dunno, should we risk buying a Fiat? she replied :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (that was a Yes, then!)
Waitrose is a quality company, having your groceries delivered in a fiat would be like having your John Lewis furniture delivered in a white van.:cry::Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Before I start ..MERCEDES....they do not appeal to me... We have had many expensive vehicles...but not a merc!... I am not a Merc man, and I am not nocking the Merc

At the moment I have a fiat 130 multi jet......I luv it.. fast, economical, pulls very well, and I like the style, mine has had no problems, mid 2008 model ( some people may have).

before you fufu, just try driving one of the new multi jet ( hopefully fiat have sorted out any problems they have had in the past) I am not replying to push Fiats....they suit me

I have just purchased a new motorhome Rapido 9090DF to be delivered late March / April....on another Fiat 130 multi jet.

Now before I purchased and after looking at many many vans ...I asked a similar question, Do I go for the Fiat again.....or do I go for the Mercedes.as the Merc keeps getting bulled up so now was the time to think about change.....so I asked many people what was there opinion on the Merc (these are the people that had or have had Mercedes themselves).
I received mixed replies some luv them some hated them......some said they was like driving a lorry...and the Fiat was like driving a very good motor car....some of the people was dealers selling Mercedes, Fiat, Ford, all on the forecourt some was selling Hymers, Pilote, Rapido's, Defleths, Burstner and other brands and at the Paris motorhome show.......the main feed back was FIAT..........they would buy for themselves a Fiat.......one dealer said it is the most wide spread vehicle in the European market and if you had any problems you would get parts if needed anywhere..they said they all have problems and they all brake down, it is not just one company.
Another set of persons they have had 13 to 15 motorhomes and still have two they also have a campsite, most if not all have been Hymers on Fiat or Mercedes they still have two on one on a Fiat and one on a Merc...they said it is personal choice they both drive, one liked the Fiat and One liked the Merc
At the Paris motorhome show I asked the dealer I purchased from what his thoughts was of which I should go for...he said for the extra 10,000.... it, and they are not worth the extra money and after about 5 to 10 years the price difference would be very small if any.

So I went for the one that has given me good service...the Fiat 130 multijet :thumb:

I think the Fiat has won the last 5 or 6 years running for the best chassis and cab for the motorhomes.

The Fiat is a chassis and cab designed purposely for the motorhome.

And the say the 130 multijet jet is the best engine for the motorhome.

That is if you believe all you read Mmm:Doh:

Me I think it is personal choice, buy what you like, not always what people put on a pedestal because 95% of the time it is not true.

Mel:thumb:........this only my opinion and of the people I had spoken to.........there will always be a differ of a opinion

Mel:thumb:

This info was taken from French dealers, French and British Motorhomers themselves ...not hear say, from a cousin mother brother sister husband...that read in a mag from mates mates friend that has never had one or both of them.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
About 7 or so years ago a customer who ran his own business in light haulage told me he had swapped his Sprinter fleet for LDV Convoys as all eight of his sprinters needed new rear axles at 150,000miles. Bearing in mind his vans were doing 120,000 per year he felt this was way too expensive so switched to LDVs and had been running them for four years with no more than regular servicing.

D.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having ran MB vehicles for years,both trucks and cars in my opinion MB have gone down the route of most manufacturers,in that there vehicles have become more powerfull and more fuel eficient but at the price of reliability.
Its an old addative but true that you get nawt for nawt,there has to be a price to be paid.
Thinner metal is used in there build,resulting in rust,and there is only so much power you can get from a relativly small engine before you pay the price of reliability.
I stopped buying Merc cars after the W124 which was the last of the over engineered cars that were built to a quality standard,and the old naturaly aspirated 5 cylinder diesel was capable of intergalactic milages.
Why MB have decieded to build a van,the Sprinter capable of speeds in excess of 90 MPH I dont know,but I do know it wont last half the milage of the old ones,which can be seen still trundling around the world earning a living.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure there was a story on the forum a while ago, someone stuck abroad needed a replacement part, but Mercedes would only supply a whole engine for a 11000 Euros. That would put me off owning one:whatthe:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Fiat 2.3 130 Multijet for me, pulls well and returns 31 m.p.g most of the time.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have owned and sold many mercs, both cars and trucks, after about 97 they stopped galavanising car bodys hence the rust.

At present I run a 03 S320 CDI low miles 55k which mechanicaly has been good, electronics thats another matter if selling it was an option it would go, but I have way too much money in this car for what it is now worth.

The wife has a 06 e320 cdi 60k miles and so far has been agood car with no problems.

At work I run 1823 merc trucks low miles 04 152k miles (yes it is genuine been a training Vehicle from new) so this truck has never worked by being loaded and now has the equivelent of 1 years miles on it, First day after Christmas break couldn't select any gear requiring the gear lever to be pushed forward, these are worked by hydraulics and only mercedes have the kit to mend them, it came back Monday this week with a £2,000.00 bill for something on a Daf would have been £350.00.

Will I buy another Merc I very much doubt it, what would I buy instead Car wise I have no Idea. Truck Daf or Scania which are both in our fleet and are far less bother and the Daf is 03 with 468k miles on it (just run in) Scania is 02 has over 350k miles.

I think all manufacturers are going down the route of if it needs mending youve got to go to them, so pick the one with the cheapest running costs.

Don't suppose this helps much but I feel better having had a moan.

All the best Rick.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Fiat 2.3 130 Multijet for me, pulls well and returns 31 m.p.g most of the time.

I agree,I get around the same mpg, they don't need remapping....just run as standard....all mine as had fitted is a cruise control fitted by Dave Newell (first class):thumb: brilliant

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
no problems so far with mine but thats probably as the posts sugest above because its a older merc a 312d with the 2.9 engine. Think i will be sticking with it for now

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
do as i do...regardless of Marque.....first time it see's a welding torch, it's gone.

if one bits rusting, the rest will shortly follow. :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sure there was a story on the forum a while ago, someone stuck abroad needed a replacement part, but Mercedes would only supply a whole engine for a 11000 Euros. That would put me off owning one:whatthe:
bit more than just a part Jim.....if i remember correctly the cam belt snapped effectively writing off the engine financially.:Sad:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
In the last 27 years I've owned 7 new Merc cars all E class originally petrols and laterly diesels.
These were company cars all doing approx 35000 to 40000 miles a year and all changed at 3 years old. I always bought Mercs because they were ultra reliable, cheap to own once purchased and had very good residual value. Unfortunately that all changed about 2000 and the last 2 Mercs we owned were undoubtedly the worst cars its ever been our misfortune to buy. The last one a 2004 E270 CDI was rubbish it spent more time in the workshop than on the road the faults were endless, mechanical, electrical and bodywork issues. We eventually sold it for 25% of original value at 60000 miles, with a knackered gearbox and needing its second fuel injection pump plus numerous body faults, Mercedes washed their hands of it and we did the same with them.
I still like Mercs but can't see me ever buying another.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
I just know I`m a bloody fool for writing this but have to say we have had our Merc sprinter based motorhome for almost a year now and I would`nt want anything else, it has the Sprint shift auto gearbox (which apparently is actually a semi auto box) not certain of the difference but ours is faultless.

Going in for a service tomorrow so I suppose I should have left this until I got it back..:Doh:

I think it has a worn lower ball joint as the near side tyre is wearing on the outside edge but apparently Sprinters are heavy on ball joints.
We have just done 2600 miles touring around Scotland and it managed to return 27 mpg which we are delighted with.

So would I buy another... most certainly :thumb:
Is this what we call quality these days?Worn ball joint after just 12 months sounds as though it could be expensive over several years.Had a merc van for work 2004 model i think and it was a rust bucket when i got rid of it but the engine had done 150,000 miles with no trouble and it was abused like most vans.
Must admit i love the drive on the fiat and with a tag axle i return between 26 to 28mpg if not more but would not buy another because fiat customer service is rubbish and thier warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.I tell several hundred people a year why i would not buy another fiat and my wife reckons i bear a grudge :winky::winky:
Dave

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I have a Merc S class 320CDi which is the best car I have ever owned or driven, in my day I have had Astons, Rolls, Bentleys, BMW's, Range Rovers galore (all garage stock I might add, took them off the forecourt stock and ran them for three months).

Merc is a 2000W and has been trouble free, in 9 years, 3 sets of tyres, 1 battery, 1 air mass sensor and one rad cooler fan assembly, does 44 mpg in utter luxury, got every toy you could think off, done 108k miles.

Whats it worth today......... not a lot

Would I buy a later model, doubt it, I think they have too many problems lurking, fortunatlely with mine I have a very knowledgable local technician with all the Merc technical know how and computer diagnostic equipment at very reasonable rates to sort out any problems but he does not rate the later mercs.

Last problem I had was a bloody squirrel got under the top engine covers and chewed through the fuel line !!!!

Peter

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

I'm now on my third Mercedes estate. The first (a W124 230TE) blew it's engine before it had time to go rust, the second (a W124 300TE) didn't blow it's engine but was rusting away merrily at 13 years old, and my current W210 E320 is a rust bucket in every sense of the word. Particularly annoying is the fact that the so-called 'goodwill gesture' under which MB kindly allowed me to pay £570 towards what was supposed to be repairs to affected parts is now going rusty again just 13 months later.

Maybe I'm the mug for sticking with MB for so long, but I do find it amusing when I read the gushing praise which the motorhome mags tend to lavish on any MB-based motorhome for its 'prestige' and 'quality' and so on when my experience of their car bodywork design, rust-proofing and paintwork has been so at variance with this image.

Is it just the cars, or do Sprinters suffer from the same issues?

MB isn't as high quality as it used to be, but all marques have dropped quality! Even motorhomes - take an early 2000 model motorhome and sit on the seat...mmm comfy! Now do that to a 2011, from the same manufactuer...yes...that is the frame you can feel poking you in the backside!

MB W210 did rust - I know, I have been welding holes in my floor today - being a 96 model, it is one year out of the 30 year rust warranty! The reason for that, was the mastic that was painted on the floorpan - great when good - scratch it/perforate it and water gets trapped behind and rots it out.

The wheel arches similarly had a design flaw, where a small gap was between the arch liner and the arch. Add that will the curled arch - and you have a rust trap - owners seal these up to cure the problem.

I paid £1900 for mine and get 50 mpg on average - so to me, I get more comfort, power and style than Mr 1.4 Rover driver for my money.

Point to note: MB mobilio have just LOST a court battle with an owner who was told his car was not covered due to lack of MB service history. The judge asked the MB rep 'What bearing can a service possibly have on rust?' - the brochure stated it came with a no quibble 30 year warranty and owner was awarded the lot!:thumb:

MB vans do not have underseal - they are commercial! So no rust issues there! But that said - buy at auction a couple of years old.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't buy for fashionable names eg Mercedes, BMW etc., loads of money for a name but not always the best.
I bought a new Ford Galaxy Ghia in January 2000 from Holland , full british spec at a cost of £17000 all in, new cost at time £24000. Converted to LPG.
Now 11 years old, 105,000 miles, no rust no problems . A great people carrier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back