NEW YEAR at Aviemore? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Has anyone ever stopped at www.highrange.co.uk . We are wanting to go to Scotland for the New year and my Birthday which is the 2nd Jan. This place looks very nice . We are wanting hook up and hard standing , with it being winter.
Granted its a bit pricey , when there are 5 full prices and 2 dogs, especially when we are used to rallying and cl sites:whatthe:
So has anyone stayed here ?
Have you spent Hogmany with them ? Whats the food like ?

And does anyone know anywhere else ,not too far up , that has a nice village/small town in staggering / walking distance .
With shops restaurants bars to keep us occupied.
( we do chilling in the MH in a field in sleepy villages most weekends:thumb:)
Waiting for all your recommendations.
Thanks
Bev

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Bev .. we spent the millennium new year at Aviemore but not at High Range ..

There is great site at Loch Morlich , just a few miles from the town, highly recommend it

http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/link.php?c=&n=226

Google Street View .. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=aviemore&sll=52.024664,1.413001&sspn=0.054081,0.167027&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Aviemore,+Inverness-Shire,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.166885,-3.695161&spn=0.005957,0.020878&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=57.167217,-3.694846&panoid=85y3M7FmZAigzLFdtHkVPA&cbp=12,227.97,,0,5

Edit

Just found the photos for that holiday
Link Removed

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi Bev .. we spent the millennium new year at Aviemore but not at High Range ..

There is great site at Loch Morlich , just a few miles from the town, highly recommend it

http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/link.php?c=&n=226

Google Street View .. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...oid=85y3M7FmZAigzLFdtHkVPA&cbp=12,227.97,,0,5

We spent 2 nights at this site some 2 years ago location perfect new toilet blocks but the pitches are some of the worse i have seen also book it for that time of the year (Snow Season)

Bill:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We spent 2 nights at this site some 2 years ago location perfect new toilet blocks but the pitches are some of the worse i have seen also book it for that time of the year (Snow Season)

Bill:thumb:

Hi Bill

what was wrong with the pitches ? It was snowy when we were there so we couldn't see much of the pitch .. :roflmto:

We had a Hogmanay barbie on the beach, the loch was frozen over .. and went first footing around the site ... great fun

Booking early is indeed essential .. and it does snow .. see album in previous post

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Bill

what was wrong with the pitches ? It was snowy when we were there so we couldn't see much of the pitch .. :roflmto:

We had a Hogmanay barbie on the beach, the loch was frozen over .. and went first footing around the site ... great fun

Booking early is indeed essential .. and it does snow .. see album in previous post

Very rutted uneven the site was constantly flooded even when it wasn't raining a the time the warden did say that there was going to be improvements don't know if its happened we will be there for one night in August its good for the canoe ad pike fishing will keep you posted

Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Very rutted uneven the site was constantly flooded even when it wasn't raining a the time the warden did say that there was going to be improvements don't know if its happened we will be there for one night in August its good for the canoe ad pike fishing will keep you posted

Bill

Hi Bill

it was freezing and snowy when we were there , maybe that's why skiing on the site was good :roflmto:

will watch for your update

cheers

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Bev we have not stayed the site but did have a walk around it xmas just gone.

It looked very clean and tidy although it was covered in a new fresh snow fall so everything looks nice then. Its not far from the town at all, it is in fact in the town (or should I say resort) a resort that has a couple indian resteraunts a few outdoor shops, a nice cake shop and a few other bits and pieces. Skiing is about 15 mins away and I know your kids would like a bash at that.

It did look a nice place to stay, but it looks so much nicer in snow.
We wild camped in the town car park as we were skiing in the morning, thoroughly recommend it as a use it or lose it Scottish ski resort.

Enjoy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
sorry forgot these,.

Attachments

• forfun5.jpg
    forfun5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo0568.jpg
    Photo0568.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 16
  • forfun3.jpg
    forfun3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 17
  • forfun6.jpg
    forfun6.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks everyone for the input so far.
Has anyone been to Highrange ?
Its been run by the same Italian family for years.
I'm asking early as bookings will have to be made and we are planning on going for a week or so.
If not , Can anyone think of anywhere else up there. Nice town/village in walking distance , hard standing n hook up. Id rather we go on recommendation somewhere.
Bev

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I'm asking early as bookings will have to be made and we are planning on going for a week or so.
If not , Can anyone think of anywhere else up there. Nice town/village in walking distance , hard standing n hook up. Id rather we go on recommendation somewhere.
Bev

If we were going to Scotland it is the sort of place we would like, although not experienced m/h, but it does look warm and friendly, Italians do like a bit of fun and their food is norm excellent ....go for it ! :thumb::thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Bev

Was there with a tent for the Highland Gathering, one night only was ok but that was in Aug not Dec

Bill

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Did you eat in the restaurant ? Was it any good ?
We are thinking of having the New Years meal , and would like to hear if anyones eaten in the restaurant.
Thanks
Bev

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We have stayed there a couple of times but not eaten in the restaurant. The site itself is reasonable but did suffer from big puddles on the pitches (as previously mentioned). It also backs on to the A9 - the road is screened by banking and trees but there was a bit of nighttime road noise. One thing we did not like was having to prepay for electric - how many peopleknow how much they are going to use in advance?

If you do stay there or anywhere around Aviemore, try the Australian restaurant next to the station (it's called Roos Leap or something like that) - great food:Smile:

Phil

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We have stayed there a couple of times but not eaten in the restaurant. The site itself is reasonable but did suffer from big puddles on the pitches (as previously mentioned). It also backs on to the A9 - the road is screened by banking and trees but there was a bit of nighttime road noise. One thing we did not like was having to prepay for electric - how many peopleknow how much they are going to use in advance?

If you do stay there or anywhere around Aviemore, try the Australian restaurant next to the station (it's called Roos Leap or something like that) - great food:Smile:

Phil
Phil ,
Do you mean Loch morlich a few miles from the town that Jim mentioned , or High range.
I though it was the one near the loch that suffered from boggy ground ?
As for the electric , i thought it was included , the showers are and awnings.
It ought to be the price they charge. But your right it says + electric on the tarrifs.
I guess they would refund you if you over payed on the electric anyway , if that was the case.
Thanks for the tip on the Ozzie restaurant.
Bev

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Phil ,
Do you mean Loch morlich a few miles from the town that Jim mentioned , or High range.
Definitely High Range - we've stayed on both and Loch Morlich was the drier of the two (different times of year though so don't read too much into this). It is a couple of years since we were last at High Range so they may have improved the drainage.

The other place nearby that fits your criteria (shops, bars within staggering distance) is Grantown on Spey (only a few miles from Aviemore). The site there is an affiliated Caravan Club site but according to the CC site, they only open on 1st January. The site's own website (here) doesn't seem to specify opening dates so it may be open all year now.

Phil

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well we've taken the plunge and booked into High range , Aviemore for the New Year week .
They've charged us £26 per night. (we've paid a £26 deposit to secure the pitch.)
Thats for 5 of us and of course the 2 dogs.
So considering its only a 5 min walk into Aviemore "resort " , over the New Year i dont think thats bad. We didn't have to book in for the Hogmany meal , so we shall try out the restaurant a couple of times, before deciding if we do that. If we dont theres lots of places in Aviemore that are doing New Years Eve specials.
We have to pay extra for electric , as mentioned previously , but as said on the reviews , people have paid for £1.50 cards and not used it all over a 4 day stay.
We arnt planning on being in the MH all day anyway , there looks to be lots to do in the area.

So now we are on the look out for ski jackets and sallopettes . Why do kids keep growing. :RollEyes:
I'm going to tkmaxx this morning to see if theres anything , wish me luck .
Thanks again for everyones input.
Bev :thumb:
P.s we mentioned the puddles and boggy ground. They said they had redone some pitches and each year kept up to the dips n troughs.
But unless they tarmaced the whole site , boggy areas were bound to happen in winter. Which is only fair enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back