Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We're heading off to France soon, taking in Disney::bigsmile:::bigsmile: (anyone else there from 7th Aug????), then to Ile de re.:Cool:

Anyway, we're spending as much time as possible there before heading back and planning to have relaxing day and night in le touquet paris plage area before coming home.

My question is if anyone knows of anywhere safe and cheap to stay in the Rouen area. We will be getting there late as plan to drive from Ile de re to this area, stop over-night then a shorter drive to le touquet paris plage.

Mrs L has recenty heard a few stories from people we know about gassing and so is not keen to 'wing it' and just find somewhere at somepoint on the way!

Also as it is August from what I hear the aires fill up by mid afternoon, and we probably wont arrive until late evening.

Does anyone have experience of this route and so able to say roughly how long it will take. We would like to have taken a coastal route, but due to time think it's gonna have to be inland via le man.

Thanks

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Bout 7 hours using Mway to LeTPP, 5 hours of which to Rouen.

Rouen itself is a bit of a black hole - aire and campsite wise - I think? Only place we've stayed in the Rouen area is the really nice aire at Le Mailleraye sur Seine, but not in August as you say. There were more than enough vans there when we went last October!

Why not stop somewhere between Le Mans and Rouen? About halfway?

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Bout 7 hours using Mway to LeTPP, 5 hours of which to Rouen.

Rouen itself is a bit of a black hole - aire and campsite wise - I think? Only place we've stayed in the Rouen area is the really nice aire at Le Mailleraye sur Seine, but not in August as you say. There were more than enough vans there when we went last October!

Why not stop somewhere between Le Mans and Rouen? About halfway?

Thanks
We were hoping to use non-toll roads as much as possible, only goin on them to make up some time if needed.
1st time to france in the van that is not solely Disney and always use the toll for that,so would like to see a bit more of France if we get the chance.
Not set on Rouen, came up with that area purely on location, so would look at anything either side, but preferably past it.

No idea what France is gonna be like in August, but imagine it's going to be busy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Try "viamichelin" route planning website to see how long non-m-way will take and plan your camping from that?

If the Ile de Re is anything like the Ile de Oleron - there are some very very narrow roads indeed!! - we had to do a detour down a one-way street one day last August because of the market being across the main road and it narrowed to 2 metres and turned a right angle!

I closed me eyes and put me fingers in me ears.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Ill de re is fine for motorhomes, we have been twice and never had a problem, the only problem you may have is getting a pitch I think it will be busy in August. And don't forget the toll for crossing is expencive at about £20.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We've used the aire at Le Mailleraye sur Seine many times , and yes in August with a 36 Ft RV .. it can be busy but never had to turn away .. there is a also car park at the entrance to the aire which can be used

check my map for locations of more good aires , link in signature

The Aire at LM sur Seine :
Link Removed

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks all.
That aire looks nice.
We have already booked our site at Ile de re as know that is busy area and popular with the French. Gonna pay the toll, but take our bikes so that the van won't be used until we actually leave.
From what I gather it is a pretty much traffic free area.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
LM sur S - can't park for most of the length of that wall at the back - or couldn't last Oct - cordoned off as the ?church was using it as private car park. You can park further along the wall nearer to the water treatment plant (euphemism!!) though. The front row facing the river was all fine though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back