Can it happen or just a daydream? (1 Viewer)

MH Dreamer

Free Member
Jul 12, 2010
Milton Keynes
Funster No
Hi Folks

My names Richard. I live in Milton Keynes with two cats ( Jack and Jill) and a Black Labrador ( Flash).

I have seen many a motorhome about the country when on holiday etc.

What I would like to do is exchange my house for a suitable motorhome but I am probably day dreaming.

I am an old 37 by the way.

:Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi!

Sounds like you're thinking about 'fulltiming'? Have a good search on fulltiming around here as there are plenty of good threads on the subject:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Richard, plenty have done just that, some lived to regret it and after a year or two found themselves wanting a tile roof again, others say it was the best thing they ever did.

In the present climate you could suck it and see, house prices are going nowhere it seems, so if you could sell your house, you could by a cheap motorhome and safely invest the rest. A year or two down the road, if you find you not like the lifestyle, you should easily be able to afford the step back into property ownership, infact house prices may have gone down and you might (might) be better off::bigsmile:

My advice. once you've dreamt it, do it. You'll regret it forever if you don't. Have Fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Folks

My names Richard. I live in Milton Keynes with two cats ( Jack and Jill) and a Black Labrador ( Flash).

What I would like to do is exchange my house for a suitable motorhome but I am probably day dreaming.

Compared to houses MHs are cheap. Could you not rent your house, buy a MH and give it a go without too much risk ?

Cats might be a problem.

Are you not tied down by a job ? Just living in a MH tied to one place does not sound much of a dream, just finding a permanent parking is a big problem.

Keep talking, we may talk you into it or make you realise your dream is a nightmare in disguise.

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Hi Folks

Go for it Richard.
The only good thing about bricks and mortar is having an address !

:thumb:

OP
OP
MH Dreamer

MH Dreamer

Free Member
Jul 12, 2010
Milton Keynes
Funster No
No job.

Also I am on DLA.

Would my being registered disabled make any difference when/if purchasing a van?

The two cats are house cats anyways.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Richard ...

there is a full timing forum , some really good threads which may help you decide if it's for you or not.. Link Removed

I started this one.. Link Removed

There are quite a few full and ex full timers on the forum (including myself) , so have a good read then come back with some questions and tell us what you see in your dream..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No job.

Also I am on DLA.

no address may be a problem claiming your DLA , perhaps not at the outset but further down the line when they find out you are technically homeless ...

this is probably the most important thing to investigate before making a decision .. big brother does not like it when you fall off the radar

OP
OP
MH Dreamer

MH Dreamer

Free Member
Jul 12, 2010
Milton Keynes
Funster No
My sister acts as my power of attorney ie with regards to bills etc.

She looks after all the paperwork.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

Being 37 and on DLA doesnt prevent you from motorhoming. Adaptions can be made etc and there are plenty of people with disabilities who have and use motorhomes regularly.

I have absolutely no experience of full timing, there are some that love it and some that have done it for a while and then returned to bricks and mortar.

My personal advice if you are serious about full timing would be to rent out your current home if you own it and NOT to sell it. That way, if your disabilities preclude you from driving in the future or if you become too old to drive a motorhome, you have the security of knowing you will still have something to return to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Just a shame that dealers won't take the house as a part exchange.

:ROFLMAO:

Now if anyone is game for it Peter from John's Cross would be, he'd like the challenge.

You never get best price on a PX though, with a house I'm sure you'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Richard,

If you are on benefits, there are restrictions on how long you can be absent from the UK also if you benefits are means tested it will be a little as 13 weeks.

But every thing is up in the air at the moment so anything can happen.

good luck

Doug...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

You can only get a VAT free van if it is brand new and unregistered and the cheapest start arround £32000-00 odd less the VAT which is aprox £4800 so a nett outlay of aprox £27000-00 - £28000-00 for a new one.

Of course should you then find that you dont like the lifestyle you can sell the van and don't have to pay the VAT back!

Peter

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Don't know what the rental market is like where you live but with your situation and house prices as they are I would think letting your house and using the rent to finance your proposed lifestyle is a good idea.
We did this when we moved to France, and it worked out very well.
We were able to try something we always wanted to do and after 6 years and it cost us nothing.
I would think carefully before getting rid of your bricks and mortar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back