Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi there. I am dreaming or did I see a thread on here some time ago, which mentioned a website where you could see tv programs? If so, are they current programs or old ones? We're off to Scotland tomorrow and the weather may not be too good so we may need some entertainment other than Yahtzee.
Ivy

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks Jim. I was beginning to feel verbally invisible(?). You know what I mean.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim. I was beginning to feel verbally invisible(?). You know what I mean.

Ivy

your welcome.. I've only tried it a few times, I think there is a mix of 'live' and recorded

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
tvgorge for the american soaps.
Also tvshack but after so long (time to watch a couple of programmes) on this you have to wait 1hr to continue

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I've also got some films stored on the pc which I will be able to watch since I don't get round to it at home.
Ivy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so we may need some entertainment other than Yahtzee.
Ivy

I don't know what is more difficult in Scotland - good broadband or good TV reception.

If you want to look via a mobile broadband it could cost you an arm and a leg and then only if you get a good connection.

Plan B call into a PC World or similar and buy a USB TV dongle. This sort of thing:
Link Removed

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I asked in PC World about those dongles and was told that you would buy perhaps a month's worth of internet use which seemed quite expensive for the time I would use it. I was hoping I could get something like a pay as you go dongle so that you could just load it up for future use. Is there anything like that?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I asked in PC World about those dongles and was told that you would buy perhaps a month's worth of internet use which seemed quite expensive for the time I would use it. I was hoping I could get something like a pay as you go dongle so that you could just load it up for future use. Is there anything like that?

I don't know what you mean. Dongle is an overused word.

A broadband dongle connect to the internet. A USB TV dongle has a TV aerial.

I will be amazed if you can watch good quality TV programs using a broadband dongle. If you do get a good enough connection it will cost you a heck of a lot.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Brian makes a very good point - do you want to be able to watch TV broadcasts on your computer (basically turn it into a TV) or do you want to 'catch-up'.

To just watch TV as it's being broadcast you'll need a TV tuner dongle and be in a good reception area.

To 'catch-up' there are plenty of web sites, both ligit and 'iffy' some of which have already been mentioned so I'll just add SeeSaw http://www.seesaw.com/ . This requires a good internet connection which you will be unlikely to get with an internet dongle and would eat through your monthly allowance like my cat eats tuna (vey very quickly).

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We've been watching BBC live on the lappy in Scotland using a 3G dongle with great success,not so sure about ITV,but it could be worth a try.

Mike

Lomond Dave

Free Member
Jul 7, 2010
Funster No
Link Removed - gives you a whole load of freeview channels including BBC, ITV, Sky News and Sky Sports News channels as they're broadcast. You have to register to confirm you are in the UK. Best connection, picture and reliability I have seen yet.

Pay as you go broadband connection but each £15 top up only lasts 30 days before expiry - Link Removed

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
This might be of interest:

http://www.consumerchoices.co.uk/hidden-charges-for-tv-on-demand.html

Hidden charges

Most internet packages come with a set download limit each month, and for those that are deemed “unlimited broadband”, customers will usually find that a fair usage policy applies, preventing heavy usage during peak hours.

The Consumer Spy’s research found that some broadband customers are being charged as much as £2.00 per extra gigabyte, while mobile broadband customers who exceed their download limits are billed per megabyte, and could rack up humongous bills for downloading even a 30 minute episode of EastEnders.

So how much of your download limit does watching TV online actually use? Well, as a quick guide:

* Downloading a 10 minute video clip on YouTube = 200MB
* Downloading a DVD quality film = 4.5GB
* Downloading a 30 minute programme = 300MB

Therefore, to download an hour long episode of David Attenborough’s Life in Cold Blood would use 600MB. Streaming, watching the programme live, uses less of your download limit but the quality is reduced. A 30-minute show will use about 125MB if streamed, but this depends on the iPlayer and your connection. Some users have reported watching a half hour live episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks for as little as 40MB.

This may not appear to be much, but if you’re using mobile broadband, such as the O2 example in the table above, the costs soon mount up. If you’ve exceeded your download limit, streaming a 30-minute episode of EastEnders would cost you an extra £25, and downloading a DVD quality film would add a whooping £900!

The lesson here is clear: make sure you read the small print and stick to your download limit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back