A466 chepstow to monmouth??????????? (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
part of our tour this year will take me from Dalacres in Hyth Kent to Luckshall near Hereford,

The shortest route is up the A466 to Monmouth and onwards, the more straighter more main looking route is A449 then A40, has anybody traversed the A466, is it sutable for a motorhome (24foot 2.8 fait).

I travelled the A449/A40 many times before (in car), the A466 looks very senic on google earth but allso narrow and lots of hairpins, and of course you cant the elavatiuons on a road map, so is it worth the extra time for the veiws and slighter shorter mileage or is the road not sutable for us.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The A466 is a lovely road, in a valley, so no great altitude changes. And the 'hairpins' are gentle curves - you'll be fine, it's a doddle.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
The A466 is a lovely road, in a valley, so no great altitude changes. And the 'hairpins' are gentle curves - you'll be fine, it's a doddle.

many thanks..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
If that is Hythe in Kent thats my part of the country, before I moved to Wales, be sure to go on the little train at Hythe and get off at Dungeness. Different from any where else!:thumb:

gwilliam

Free Member
Jun 19, 2010
Funster No
Wye Valley

I live in Hereford, any trips south are always made Monmouth-Chepstow. Lovely picturesque drive, no serious bend or incline problems. Only problem with going north is the bridge toll.
Lucksall is a very smart site, in a meadow between the Hereford to Fownhope road and the river Wye. Good fishing for £5 a day, these are HDAA rates.
Green Man in Fownhope for beer and food. Enjoy.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Yes, it's a lovely road, although it may be a little overhung by trees in parts.

We had an overnight on the Tintern Abbey carpark earlier in the year - The Rosabella's a bit titchy compared to you though!!

I did read somewhere that there's a pub somewhere in the Tintern area, which allows overnight parking on their carpark. Anybody shed any light on that please?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
If that is Hythe in Kent thats my part of the country, before I moved to Wales, be sure to go on the little train at Hythe and get off at Dungeness. Different from any where else!:thumb:

tiss the very same place, 30 years ago we used to live down that way (camber sands) looking forward to revisiiting

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I live in Hereford, any trips south are always made Monmouth-Chepstow. Lovely picturesque drive, no serious bend or incline problems. Only problem with going north is the bridge toll.
Lucksall is a very smart site, in a meadow between the Hereford to Fownhope road and the river Wye. Good fishing for £5 a day, these are HDAA rates.
Green Man in Fownhope for beer and food. Enjoy.

tiss the fishing that made my son-in-law book, hes very keen, were joining them for thier second week, The Greenman sound more like my bag

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
...the A466 looks very senic on google earth but allso narrow and lots of hairpins, and of course you cant the elavatiuons on a road map, so is it worth the extra time for the veiws and slighter shorter mileage or is the road not sutable for us.

I drove along from Chepstow to Monmouth back in March and the only issue I had was not locking the fridge door properly, which I discovered pretty quickly north of Chepstow where the road climbs uphill and is quite twisty. :Doh: Nothing dramatic though.

Nice views up there, with some parking spots in the trees, which block some of the view. I seem to recall pulling back out onto the A466 was a bit of a concern because the bends hide the road.

Tintern is a nice point to stretch your legs. I didn't go into the abbey because it was raining and the staff were out in force with a load of strimmers, which ruined the atmosphere. Tintern itself is mainly coffee shops/pubs and antiques stores.

The rest of the A466 is a nice run up to Monmouth, with one-way traffic and lights at a weak bridge being the only point I can remember stopping at - in fact I arrived at Monmouth earlier than I expected and was a bit disappointed that the drive wasn't more memorable after Tintern.

Oh...and as you enter Monmouth along the A466, there's a Lidl on the right hand side. Which didn't sell goat's milk :Angry:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
30 years ago I lived in Lydd next door to Camber !:Smile:

funny place Lydd, wifer still has relitives there, The was no connection between Camber & Lydd, the road was there but no buss service hence no comuication of real sorts, it was like two differant countres.

I seem to recal working on a roof in the high steet I think re-tileing it ( I belive the property belong to the Madison holiday camp family), there used to be a horse in the field accross the road, we used to bring apples for him.

I also remember the late night cafe on a corner just past the church, steak, egg & chips after too many beers...ah memories

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back