Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Anyone had cruise control retro fitted to there motor home, was it worth doing?

If so what is the best one to get and what costs are involved

We have a 2.8 JTD Hymer

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Dave Newall does it, off the top of my head its around the £300 mark, he does have it advertised on his web site.

I know a few who had it done, every year when im trouncing through France I say to Nikki, I must get cruise control fitted :Sad:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have Cruise control fitted to our Mercedes 316 also have an auto gear box, in our opinion the perfect combination.
Makes driving those long distances so much easier.
Definitely recommended.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Cruise control has made a massive improvement to my motor homing pleasure.

As an additional plus mine keeps me within the speed limits with the press of (the correct) button.

Conrad Anderson fitted mine years ago...

If you go for the infa-red steering wheel control button you can pretend you are an F1 driver...

JJ ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i don't have cruise on the van but do on my car.

real 'lazy mans' motoring.

coupled to an auto box, and apart from the need to turn the wheel from time to time and watch for traffic you wouldn't need to be there at all.
and coupled to an auto it could work out more economical, the box/cruise deciding when to change gear for optimal torque.
certainly appears that way to me when on the same stretch of road both on cruise and not...cruise changes more often to maintain speed.

as an addition to your van I'd say money well spent.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What year is your Hymer? If its the earlier version with three stalks on the column then I'd reccomend the dash mounted command module (the bit you see in the cab with buttons to press) which is £330 fitted inc VAT less 5% funster discount (remember to tell us you're a funster at the time of fitting:winky:). If its the later model with the flip up map holder in the middle top of the dashboard then I'd suggest a CM35 stalk command module, it does the same job but gives you finger tip control without taking your hands off the wheel, it also has two presets you can programme for speeds of your choice, 30MPH and 60MPH for example. CM35 system is £360 fitted inc VAT -5% discount (remember to tell us you're a funster at the time of fitting:winky:).

Call us during normal working hours on 01952 587702 to discuss your requirements further.

D.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Cruise is great but Ive found that more and more I'm only using it to give my foot a rest.

I have found that the increase in petrol consumption is to much for a bit of extra comfort.

I dont recall being on a flat road in france, but maybe I was in the wrong place.

Does cruise control consume petrol when it slows you down bye the way ?

Jim
:Smile:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have cruise control on my car and van. I suffer from back problems and suffer pain if I have to keep pressure on my leg for a long time, the cruise control is great for me.

Needles not pins!

Free Member
Jul 22, 2010
Funster No
retrofitting cruise control

Hi, Yes, cruise control can be installed to your Hymer 2.8 jTD. depending on the cab layout the controls to operate the system may alter but there are three basic types you may consider. Vacuum actuator, electric actuator or fully electronic.

Both of the actuator systems mean that while your cruise is engaged the throttle pedal will move up and down. The fully electronic system is just that - fully electronic! and the pedal remains still whilst the system is engaged.

Your Hymer is a drive-by-wire vehicle which means that there is no traditional throttle cable, its all done by electronics, so it makes sense to consider a fully electronic cruise system!

However, the vacuum system is cheaper and will do the job - as will the electric actuator system. You pays your money and takes your choice!!

I've fitted hundreds of cruise systems to motorhomes so if you need any advice, or a quote!, please call me on 01205 820004.

Yes, I am a new member and yes I am a trader!:Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I was young, must have manual box, boy racer etc, ,but now I prefer auto and cruise control, well worth fitting for long runs :Smile:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Anyone had cruise control retro fitted to there motor home, was it worth doing?

If so what is the best one to get and what costs are involved

We have a 2.8 JTD Hymer

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo:thumb:

Absolutely the best thing on the van, done by Dave Newell- great service.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Had mine fitted by Conrad Andersson while at the Loughborough show the other month. Took him about 3 hours to do (plus stops for the rain). Fitted to a Nuevo which is Boxer based. So far brilliant, use it all the time on steady speeds, motorways and find it a great help. Cost was around the £350 mark. Had considered getting a kit of bits and fitting it myself but after watching the chap do it I'm very glad I didn't.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
FABULOUS.......I COULD NOT LIVE WITH OUT IT IN THE MOTORHOME....I live in France and I wish Dave Newal lived closer who fitted mine when I came over to the uk last May 2009.....would like one fitted to the car and now looking at a new motorhome and would want one fitted to that ........they are Great.......better than sliced Bread......mine was about £300 to £400 or just above....I am out in the motorhome in the uk and receipt at home in France......go for it

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back