What occupancy rates do campsites get? (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hello all ::bigsmile:

Well I've been laid up for a week as my back has gone...again :RollEyes::Sad:

So as I lie here, with nothing to do but throw ideas around in my painkiller hazed mind :Smile: I got to wondering about owning a campsite :Eeek:

Don't worry, it'll pass once the painkillers wear off :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I wondered what sort of occupancy rate a campsite works on. IIRC the average for bed & breakfasts is either 60% or 70%. I suspect that a campsite operates on less but I am happy to be wrong.

Does anyone out there know anything about campsite occupancy rates etc.?
Perhaps you've helped run a site and so know a bit yourself or have done some research yourself?

PM me if you don't want to go public but have some great info :thumb:

And whilst we are at it, do you know of any campsites for sale? :whatthe:

Thanks
Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyway, I wondered what sort of occupancy rate a campsite works on.
Bryan

Do you mean in this godforsaken country, weather wise, or a country with a bigger spread of weather ?

Then again do you mean in the middle of nowhere but pretty or close to a popular attraction ?

And if you replace the relay next to the 11th vertebra with a solid state one you problems will be cured for ever.

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
UK, I think. Not bothered if rural or not, but good size and busy.

Just curious about occupancy because that would determine the size of campsite needed.

Got something in mind, Brian?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Got something in mind, Brian?

No, just helping out in getting the right FUN grey cells working.

Without doubt in the UK there is a great shortage of campsites in popular areas because the CCCCCCC ones are always booked up.

I was going to say we have such a short UK season but if you look at EU price lists their peak price season is very short.

Wouldn't it be exciting to create one from scratch.

How about Parc Verger as inspiration ?

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Its taken alot of money to "build from scratch" for Cwmcuttan. We are a CS , we have 6 hard standings and room for more in another ajoining field but getting electric hookups there are very expensive. Thought we would apply to the council for another 5 pitches for seasonal pitches as every year we turn away at least a dozen caravans wanting seasonal pitches. If you want to be open all year you need hard standing which costs.
I did know of a campsite for sale I will check if still available or sold.
I would still buy another site or "build" one as I like the job :thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
This weekend we have filled 4 out of 5 pitches.
Our figures are down this year from last year so far.

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
So with 5 pitches over 7 days you have the potential for 35 "sales"

On average how many sales would you make a week over the course of a year?

(PM if too private to post, or to tell me to mind my own business :ROFLMAO:)

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
My brother has just returned from the Lake District where he camps a lot and he said how quiet it was, and the weather was good for up there. Even the b&b they stayed in, in Ambleside on the first night was quiet, on a weekend they usually have to stay two nights but because it was quiet they let them stay one night. Owning a site or starting a site is something we would love to do so we wish you all the best in your venture.

Dale

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are in a tourist area and most people in the tourist industry say as a whole, that it is down this year.

Hi All,

Really surprised at Paula`s and others saying it is quieter this year to last year, we have just got home from a month touring around Scotland and couldn`t believe how busy it was up there, most sites saying they are very much more busy than last year.

Most of the Caravan club sites were full, we did find a couple of CI sites that were quiet but also some only having 5 pitches were full most nights.
The caravan and camping clubs sites told a similar story.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Bryan

We are just an adults only CL with 5 pitches and only open Apr-Sep as no hardstandings. We don't advertise anywhere except within the Caravan Club brochure and website.

This year we have occupancy of 30% in Apr/May, 40% in June & probably about 80% in July/Aug. Sep I estimate about 40%.

It is not our main business so I don't put the effort into advertising. I would think if we did more we would get better occupancy. Also if I put hardstandings there would be some scope for winter. I would also have to meter electricity if I did open in winter otherwise not worth the trouble.

hope this is of help

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Mo and I ran the Caravan Club Site at St Agnes Beacon for 6 years or so back in the Nineties - 120 pitches all with EHU - but no toilet or shower block. Proper caravanners only!

We were only ever full on two weekends a year - the last weekend in July and the first weekend in August - the rest of the time we varied between 20 and 66%. Too far down in Cornwall to go for a quick weekend outing - and no childrens facilities on site.

However, we introduced 'Seasonal Pitches' to St Agnes back in 1992 and ended up with about 30 or so - the income from those pitches totally covered my running costs for the entire year. The income from the 'touring' pitches was pure profit!

As an aside - we also took the return rate from about 10% to over 60% - by being 'sensible' Wardens who interpreted the Caravan Club Rules to suit our particular site. For example some of our seasonal pitch holders were teachers and it was no good restricting them to a 21 day stay when they could only come during the School holidays. So during the school holidays they stayed as long as they could and then allowed me to use their vacant pitch during the school term! Simple!

Dick

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Find somewhere with a pond for fishing. Its the biggest growth leisure pursuit for last 5 years and goes hand in hand with a campsite. :winky:

There is one near us that does a fishing weekend deal all year round, pitch with ehu and a fishing pass for £100. Not sure if this is good value but its booked up for weeks in advance :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
pm sent..........info avalible on request

regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.