Tracker that works for £50 (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Does anyone know anything about it. At £150 (+£50 for installation kit) it seems to be a lot cheaper than the alternatives and there is no ongoing fee apart from 10p every time it accesses a phone network.
I understand they are on ebay for £50.:thumb:

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just 10 years ago, a personal tracking system cost around £5k, the on costs to access the tracking data were crippling as well. GPS had made these prices tumble, Link Removed for £50. Someone more clever than me could easily rig up a permanent feed and you have vehicle tracking on the very cheap.

I could do with strapping one of these locators to my car keys:Smile:

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
just an alternative view.... the money you maybe wouldnt save on your insurance for a non approved unit would probably pay the difference between that and an insurance approved one, over a year or two

Personally I've got one from 'Outsmart the Thief' and its brilliant, I get a phone call within 10 to 20 secs of my hamfisted accidental activations, its a top piece of kit and worth the money, but I can see the advantages of a cheaper alternative.

Ours 'reports in' several times a day to show its working, just wondered how you check a non monitored one is actually doing its thing without keep setting it off to see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just 10 years ago, a personal tracking system cost around £5k, the on costs to access the tracking data were crippling as well. GPS had made these prices tumble, Link Removed for £50. Someone more clever than me could easily rig up a permanent feed and you have vehicle tracking on the very cheap.

I could do with strapping one of these locators to my car keys:Smile:
Amazing aint it, I have said before that my son in Chicago phones me on Skype and tells me where I am located in the UK within a couple of metres using Google Latitude. It is handy as I don’t often know where I am myself.:Smile:
I am going to Maplin today for a Fire wire card, I will have a look at the tracker.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bob and Jules said:
just an alternative view.... the money you maybe wouldnt save on your insurance for a non approved unit would probably pay the difference between that and an insurance approved one, over a year or two

Good point.. but as an instance, given the expensive ones seem to cost about £400 or so, it would take me almost 40 years to get the money back ( fully comp this year was £115.00 )

The way to check if an unmonitored one is working is simply activate it .. Cost 10p but still a bit of a bargain :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does anyone know anything about it. At £150 (+£50 for installation kit) it seems to be a lot cheaper than the alternatives and there is no ongoing fee apart from 10p every time it accesses a phone network.
I understand they are on ebay for £50.:thumb:

Link Removed

It's got all the essentials but I cannot work out if it has an alarm input so you could trigger it off the van alarm. A few minutes on the bench could fit a relay across the call button.

That fitting kit looks optional, most of us have spare 5V USB supplies and sited properly, say in a plastic roof vent it may well work without and external aerial.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It's got all the essentials but I cannot work out if it has an alarm input so you could trigger it off the van alarm. A few minutes on the bench could fit a relay across the call button.

That fitting kit looks optional, most of us have spare 5V USB supplies and sited properly, say in a plastic roof vent it may well work without and external aerial.

My thoughts exactly hilldweller. All great minds think alike.:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My thoughts exactly hilldweller. All great minds think alike.:Cool:

Fools seldom differ :RollEyes:

If you want to try it, a very small 12V reed relay fitted close to the button would probably work if the coil was well suppressed. Since the button will probably be a rubber switch it might take some skill to solder to the tracks.

If they are on ebay for £50 well worth a punt.

Plan B - crude - a 12V solenoid or an RC model servo to do it mechanically.

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
This idea is not for insurance premium purposes.

Been told you can use a mobile phone in some way as a tracking device. #
Hide in van - if stolen you can track and trace.

Anyone know who how what etc

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Tracker that woks for £50

This idea is not for insurance premium purposes.

Been told you can use a mobile phone in some way as a tracking device. #
Hide in van - if stolen you can track and trace.

Anyone know who how what etc
Someone I met camping yesterday mentioned that. The phone ahs to be switched on, so [perhaps permantly wired in so it does no go flat.
But i'm not sure how they track its wherabouts.

was this idea suggested on TV a while ago to keep an eye on where your childen were?

S.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back