Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
fat zero
Hi we have a stash of cash but we have to be careful with it. We are looking for a van to do longish tours about 4 months at a time in Europe. I like the panel van but wifey thinks they are too small. Are they too small to do anything other than a trip to the seaside for the weekend or can you do longer tours in them.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi,,,, I would personally go for a small Euro type van =

More space,, more room to move about in, more storage for the longer trip.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have always ran with the following simple formula... for two people for anything more than a few days, you want at least a 4 berth..

If you are talking about 4 months I think you should invest in either a bigger van than a panel or plastic cutlery 'cos sooner or later there is likely to be flying knives if you are too cooped up !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

2psinapod

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
fat zero
Thank you old mo what models do you think we should look out for.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thank you old mo what models do you think we should look out for.

As previous reply,, I also think that will be one of your biggest problems, "Space" and couped up,, regards what type,, I have not had a euro Motorhome for a few years, so it would be best for some of the owners to advise,, which I am sure you will get alot of sound advise soon.. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi we have a stash of cash but we have to be careful with it. We are looking for a van to do longish tours about 4 months at a time in Europe. I like the panel van but wifey thinks they are too small. Are they too small to do anything other than a trip to the seaside for the weekend or can you do longer tours in them.

You must go and sit in some, for hours, be a pain in the bum to the dealers, see if you get a pain in the bum sitting in these vans. Worst case is when it sounds like buckets of ball bearings are being poured on the roof and you are stuck inside. You need to be able to stretch out and relax.

Does 'er indoors like the kitchen, most important, some kitchen lay-outs are absurd with ovens too high or too low for safety.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When you are down south (Europe) in good weather you can easily survive in the smallest motorhome because you will spend most of the day outside it. As hilldweller says, when you are couped up inside in bad weather the bigger the better.

Its a compromise. I love panel vans, but there are some lovely coachbuilts on the market now that are only built up about a foot wider than the panel van; but what they can do with that foot is amazing. If you are set on a panel van DON'T GO TO A SHOW because once "wifey" has sat in a coachbuilt, you'll have to buy one:Smile:

OP
OP

2psinapod

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
fat zero
Ta for your advice. I think we will go to a show and look at a few. We had a narrowboat for a while so I am sure we would not go stir crazy:shout::shout::shout::shout:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Show?

You say your in the 'south', there is the Shepton Mallet show in September, details will be somewhere to the right and down a bit on the front page. Usually reasoable big, give many ideas, and of course Funsters will be in attendance, and as long as you don't leave it to late in the day we may even make sense:ROFLMAO:

Then again:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ta for your advice. I think we will go to a show and look at a few. We had a narrowboat for a while so I am sure we would not go stir crazy:shout::shout::shout::shout:

Narrow boats are HUGE compared to a MH. At the last meet, next to a canal, we were walking past a load and marvelling at the luxury. Similar width but 3,4,5 times the length. You get a separate galley, in the MH your galley is your lounge, your dining room and sometimes your bedroom.

You MUST go not to one but many shows and/or dealers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi 2psinapod,
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back