windows very very slow startup (1 Viewer)

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Hi All
Hoping someone could give me an idea what the problem could be with an old computer I'm trying to revive.
It takes about 40 to 50 minutes to start up , once started it works fine ,press restart and it takes another 40 to 50 minutes.
I've reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP , increased the memory to 1 gig and it has an Athlon 2.4 CPU . Shut down is very fast-just a couple of seconds .
When you press start it goes through the usual self test beeps then the screen goes blank. After anout 10 minutes a bar shows on the botton of the screen and very slowly "fills in" over the next 30 minutes , then Windows finally starts

Thanks for reading this ( takes me longer to type this than the old computer takes to start )
regards sf

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Initial thought is some problem with memory. Are all the DIMMs seated properly? Is it the correct type of memory for the motherboard (e.g. not PC133 when it should be PC100)?

Second thought - check what programs and other services are included in start-up and disable them unless needed.

Graham

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Try resetting the bios to defaults. I had a similiar problem a while back on an old base pc and it turned out the bios was corrupt. Removed the on-board battery, waited a while and reset it. Worked fine after that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Disable stuff at start up, follow this tutorial and see if it makes a difference. TBH though I suspect you may have a hard disk on the way out.

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Many thanks for the replies , the memory seems ok and is showing as i gig when checked and the start up is more or less empty as its a clean install .Wish I knew more about computers. I was wondering about the hard disc but it goes fine when it finally gets going. So I'm off to try the bios and try my luck there
thanks again
regards sf

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Daft as it sounds, have you got an anti virus program installed?

We had Norton and it took our machine 20-30mins to get going, removed and went to avg free and it's now about 5 mins, modern software/old PC?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
At what stage does it appear to hang, would it be "Loading Personal Settings"

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not quite in the same vein, but I thought I'd share this with the good folk here.....

http://www.rapidrise.org//showthread.php?t=78714

This shows you how to speed up Vista and Win7 by utilising all of the cores in those multi-core processors we spend so much money on.
Did you know the default is to only use one core? :Eeek:
No? :Doh:

Neither did I. Follow the tips from the above link, and hey presto.

Even works with XP.........................:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Hi Again
There is nothing loaded apart from the basic windows XL .the machine will not be connected to the internet so anti virus not required I never got the chance to try the bios yet as we have visitors round to see about my sons upcoming wedding:Sad: the minute they leave I'll give it a try
regadrs again sf

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Again
There is nothing loaded apart from the basic windows XL .the machine will not be connected to the internet so anti virus not required I never got the chance to try the bios yet as we have visitors round to see about my sons upcoming wedding:Sad: the minute they leave I'll give it a try
regadrs again sf

I had this issue with a fairly new Sony and it was a dying hard drive, it final failed and was replaced under warranty

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Not quite in the same vein, but I thought I'd share this with the good folk here.....

http://www.rapidrise.org//showthread.php?t=78714

This shows you how to speed up Vista and Win7 by utilising all of the cores in those multi-core processors we spend so much money on.
Did you know the default is to only use one core? :Eeek:
No? :Doh:

Neither did I. Follow the tips from the above link, and hey presto.

Even works with XP.........................:thumb::thumb::thumb:
:Eeek:
Oh dear it needs a log in......grrrrrrrrrrrr

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back