Fitting Fusebox (1 Viewer)

cymap

Free Member
Jun 17, 2010
Funster No
Hi all, I am in the middle of a semi conversion on my transit. I am fitting a leisure battery with a split charge system and a fusebox. My question is what amp wire do i use from the Pos of the leisure battery to the fusebox. Thanks, Mark

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi all, I am in the middle of a semi conversion on my transit. I am fitting a leisure battery with a split charge system and a fusebox. My question is what amp wire do i use from the Pos of the leisure battery to the fusebox. Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

in order to give an accurate answer we need to know what you what the maximum load is.

eg
how many lights, and what wattage, are they LED or incandescent.
water pump
12v sockets, for TV any other 'toys' , laptop, etc

Within reason, the supply cable can never be too big , so do some sums and add in say 10% as a safety margin .. I would guestimate about 25A

hth

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi cymap and welcome :thumb: IF I am understanding your question right, then normal 2.5amp (not 25amp ) cable will be fine. Same type as you use wiring a house socket :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi cymap and welcome :thumb: IF I am understanding your question right, then normal 2.5amp (not 25amp ) cable will be fine. Same type as you use wiring a house socket :thumb:
terry

Hi Terry , I think you are confusing cable size (in sq mm ) with current carrying capacity ...

Also, you shouldn't use domestic cable in a van, ie twin and earth , you should use multi stranded flexible

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Terry , I think you are confusing cable size (in sq mm ) with current carrying capacity ...

Also, you shouldn't use domestic cable in a van, ie twin and earth , you should use multi stranded flexible

The reason being because solid copper conductors work harden with the vibration then snap.

Worse, just before they snap they become NOT 2.5sqmm but maybe 0.25sqmm and if they are carrying a load of current at the time they are going to get HOT.

So Terry, is your motorhome going to catch fire some time in the future ? Give it some serious thought.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
in order to give an accurate answer we need to know what you what the maximum load is.

I was thinking of another tack...

Add up all the fuses in the box and there is your answer.

If you want to assume that not all will be used to capacity then de-rate the cable to a good estimate.

You must in all cases fit a fuse next to the pos terminal rated the same or less than the feed cable to protect cable. This fuse could then blow if your current estimate is out but the cable will not burn.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The reason being because solid copper conductors work harden with the vibration then snap.

Worse, just before they snap they become NOT 2.5sqmm but maybe 0.25sqmm and if they are carrying a load of current at the time they are going to get HOT.

So Terry, is your motorhome going to catch fire some time in the future ? Give it some serious thought.

:ROFLMAO: not mine Brian :thumb: my mate did all the wiring -- if it was me doing it, it would still be at the ripping out the ambulance wiring stage :ROFLMAO: - that is why I said IF :Doh: - me thinking wiring the 240v leccy fusebox :ROFLMAO:
Don't worry about mine Brian SWMBO does not let me touch anything other than plug the kettle in :ROFLMAO:
It has been trouble free for nearly 4 years -- has yours
terry

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't worry about mine Brian SWMBO does not let me touch anything other than plug the kettle in :ROFLMAO:
It has been trouble free for nearly 4 years -- has yours
terry

But I/We do. A fire is no laughing matter. 4 years means nothing if there is flaw there just waiting to upgrade itself to a disaster.

An electric kettle is just about the worst case scenario along with an electric heater, even a perfect cable starts to rise in temperature with those.

Mine is fine at 7 years, full of great thick German cable that could serve as a tow rope in an emergency.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Glad to hear that Brian, British vans have difficulty getting from the factory to the dealers problem free :ROFLMAO: I know 3 dealers and they all moan about faults on new vans :Eeek: that they have to fix before selling
terry

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Glad to hear that Brian, British vans have difficulty getting from the factory to the dealers problem free :ROFLMAO: I know 3 dealers and they all moan about faults on new vans :Eeek: that they have to fix before selling
terry

They seem to treat dealers as grade one mugs who become the final QA testers and finishing department. Totally unacceptable in my books.

We bought this Burstner second hand so no idea of any warranty work but I've been just about everywhere inside, adding flexible cables, and have nothing but praise for the quality.

Some years ago I bought a Rover 25 Turbo Diesel. It was a great fun car to drive with surprising performance. But quality - oh boy - my wife thought I having affair with someone at the Rover dealer. I don't think welding the roof on should really be done by the dealer, but it was. Must be a British thing.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Once you have determined the max load either by Brian's method or mine , makes no odds, here is useful and easy to use calculator to determine the cable size required ..

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

An example to show how the cable size increases with the length.

For a 25A load with a cable length of 1 mt you require 6 mm cable

increase the length to 2 mt and you require 10 mm

and at 3 mt. it is 16mm

So, when choosing a location for the fuse box bear this in mind ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cymap

Free Member
Jun 17, 2010
Funster No
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. I will be using a 12v 19" LCDtv, The aldi mini satellite and a coolbox which is 48watts at 12v.

Ps can I earth my leisure battery via the earth on the crank battery bearing in mind I am installing a split relay charge jobby. Thanks again, Mark

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cymap

Free Member
Jun 17, 2010
Funster No
Hi The leisure battery will be under the drivers seat as the crank battery on a transit is under there aswell (Room for 2). Thanks :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi cymap, just asked my mate (to make sure :ROFLMAO: ) he says it may be worth mentioning to you that you can earth anywhere suitable (chassis / bodywork ) in your van - ie that means if you run a live cable from front to rear the neg can be connected to the rear,thereby eliminating a cable all the way back to the front -- if you get my drift --IF I have understood him correctly
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back