dodgy fiat engineering (1 Viewer)

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
has anyone else suffered with fiat water hoses going on recent vans, mine is an 05 and i have had 4 hoses give where the clamp goes on them

i have changed the rad on my bmw this morning and the connections are of the highest quality order being quick release couplings

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had 3 Fiats and never had that problem. Is it a known problem then or is it just you?::bigsmile:

OP
OP
H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I've had 3 Fiats and never had that problem. Is it a known problem then or is it just you?::bigsmile:

well fiat make their hoses out of some sort of cheap rubber that can expand and go quite soft, i had one hose start leaking, then another did the same, a metal pipe that goes over teh engine also developed a crack thru vibration

the hoses in questions are very short right angled ones and cost 7 quid each!

it is just poor engineering really

i have replaced all of them now just out of precaution. it is a shame burstner have to use those poxy fiats in my opinion, would much prefer the large mercs as a base cab

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
well fiat make their hoses out of some sort of cheap rubber that can expand and go quite soft, i had one hose start leaking, then another did the same, a metal pipe that goes over teh engine also developed a crack thru vibration

the hoses in questions are very short right angled ones and cost 7 quid each!

it is just poor engineering really

i have replaced all of them now just out of precaution. it is a shame burstner have to use those poxy fiats in my opinion, would much prefer the large mercs as a base cab

I always fancied something built on a Merc, the rear wheel drive would have been great. But because they were built on their own chassis there never was one big enough for my tribe. Mind you the vans Ive seen built on that big Iveco jobby seem excellent as well. That said, the old Fiats must have done hundreds of millions of miles dragging hugely overweight motorhomes all over the world, so they cant be that bad. What do you make of the new Shape Fiat?

OP
OP
H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I always fancied something built on a Merc, the rear wheel drive would have been great. But because they were built on their own chassis there never was one big enough for my tribe. Mind you the vans Ive seen built on that big Iveco jobby seem excellent as well. That said, the old Fiats must have done hundreds of millions of miles dragging hugely overweight motorhomes all over the world, so they cant be that bad. What do you make of the new Shape Fiat?

i've not really had a good look round the new fiat

the one i have is great really, its just those silly things like cheap and nasty hoses, and other little gremlins in there waiting to rear their head at some stage

they do millions of miles for sure so in general they are great overall

i am a bit of a german car fan must admit

had british, jap, american, french, and prefer the german builds.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I'm on my second Fiat motorhome and I think the 2.3 engine is great. Plenty of power smooth and reasonably quiet...not the new shape though. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
well.....

i changed the radiator on the beemer this weekend.......and what a joy that was for sure.......yes i enjoyed it

the fastners are all quick release that connect the hoses to the radiator and are just amazing

the design of how the rad fits in, can be removed, other bits moved etc was just such a joy to deal with

the quality of manufacture and "how the bits are engineered to fit, last" etc is just second to none

ok the radiator was 224 from bmw but i am sure fiat would want to sting me for just as much given half the chance

i just wish bmw made motorhome donor vehicles!!!

oh the joys of owning a fiat!!! :RollEyes:

Brambles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Tayside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am intriqued. If your Beemer is so brillianty engineered, why did you have to change the radiator?
Brambles.

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
it is a shame burstner have to use those poxy fiats in my opinion, would much prefer the large mercs as a base cab
Its interesting that you should say that, I have a friend who run a rural coach and mini bus service. He has both mercs and one Fiat, I posed the question which was the best, his reply was that he would buy Mercs because they held there value but the Fiat was more reliable and the body work was far better.

E

Evercreech Junction

Deleted User
Hi Guys, I've been hovering on the fringes for a few weeks now, I thought I'd hop in at this point.
I've had Mercedes and VW based vans previously,the VW being far superior to the Merc. VW vans share much with VW cars where as Merc vans share little with their car cousins. I found the Merc crude and unrefined, a bit like a Fiat.
I've had a couple of Mercedes cars, but now prefer better built BMW's.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi EJ, Welcome to the fun site
I am a Motor Mechanic and that makes my choice so much simpler
I hate all motor vehicles, period:winky:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've had a couple of Mercedes cars, but now prefer better built BMW's.

Shame they don't do van chassis .. :Sad:

If I were looking for a euro motorhome (which I'm not ) first choice would be a Ford, 2nd Renault, 3rd Vw, 4th Merc.. :thumb:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
We've had Fiats since 1983 (except for a short break with a IVECO) only mechanical problem was earlier this year when we had a wheel bearing go in Portugal.:Sad:

Maybe doing 15,000 miles a year has something to do with it, use it or lose it I think the saying goes. ::bigsmile:

I looked a a couple of Merc high top motorhomes recently in Scotland and that narrow wheel base on the high sided vans did not look very inviting to me.

I know some Merc/VW owners who would buy an orange box on wheels if it had the badge on the front.:roflmto::roflmto:

Don

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What is the consensus on the new Fiat. Do they have a new engine as well as a new look?

The new shape with its sharp and angular lines looks ok on low profile coachbuilts but I think that some of the new high profiles with large round shapes looks at odds with the chassis and they look awful:Confused:

E

Evercreech Junction

Deleted User
Hi EJ, Welcome to the fun site
I am a Motor Mechanic and that makes my choice so much simpler
I hate all motor vehicles, period:winky:
Geo

Thanks Geo.:thumb: I suppose they beat walking.

myshell

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Funster No
I am intriqued. If your Beemer is so brillianty engineered, why did you have to change the radiator?
Brambles.

I`m with you brambles why should a BMW need a radiator change?. Perhaps BMW make the rad so easy to remove is because they need to be changed on a regular basis, and how can you get exited about wasting a weekend and shelling out 224 hard earned pounds. All my Fiat needed was a jubilee clip costing 50p and 10 mins work!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back