To toll or not to toll cost comparison (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Following on from scotjims reply to one of the posts in expensive holiday, I got thinking about his comparison between the ammount spent on toll roads V non toll.

Nikki and I always have this argument whereby I think that sometimes a toll road can actually work out as cheap. an example of this would be the ammount of time my eengine is running using a non toll road to actually using the toll road x distance travelled:Blush:
does this make sense :Blush: probably not so I will try an example and see if the clever funsters can offer a scientific answer.
so if i was travelling on a toll road it might be for 80 miles and cost me £12. but only taking me the grand total of 100mins.
Now the alternative route maybe an additonal 20 miles, at an average speed of 30mpg, therefore taking 3 hours 20 to complete the journey.

So in total I have arrived at the destination, what do you think has cost more?
The cost to life of course is the preference for the non toll journey due to the fantastic sceneary.
Nikki always says the toll cost more as I drive too fast on them as teh opportunity is there.::bigsmile:

any thoughts?

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We have this discussion too, on our 3wk trip last summer we were using the tolls to start but John wanted to use the non toll roads so we did, well we were heading to Utah beach from Arronmanche and it took hrs and fuel (tom tom also didnt know whether she was coming or going )leaving me only a short time at Utah which was the highlight for me as my Dad was on the landings there

to me the cost was high, as I only had an hour here as we had to be elsewhere by a certain time, and cost more for fuel in the end and the air was a little bit blue when her on tom tom sent us the wrong way lol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:needless to say the rest of the holiday was via tolls

But now we have a larger m/h John thinks we are limited for speed any way and might have to pay more at the tolls for our size (?) so he may chance it again (do they have a smilie with earplugs please) but if it was down to me .....TOLLS

Kath n John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Driving a large motorhome I would say it's probably cheaper on the toll road but it's difficult to generalise.

For example, if the alternative N and or D route had many villages which usually have zillions of roundabouts, traffic calming chicanes, pedestrian crossings then the toll would no doubt be cheaper..

On the other hand, many N routes follow the A routes almost side by side for many miles then the N route would be cheaper..

So, before setting out I would usually look at the next leg and make a judgement on whether A or N route..

Also, it is a lot less stress and I feel safer on an A route than negotiating endless villages with stop / start driving..

but , it is horses for courses, if I were driving a car or PVC and was in no rush, the scenic route would win hands down... you can stop and soak up the French ambiance , indulge in a bit of shopping and see the real France..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Some motorways are cheap, some now don't charge at all and others are downright expensive - the trouble is of course you won't know unless you have done all your planning at home or have a reliable internet connection en route so you can look up the next bit of motorway.

Or in our case whether the barriers will be automatic, because being 3.05m high on a manual one we will always be Class 2 but Auto, always Class 3.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
We are going down to Spain for a month in October and will probably use motorways most of the time, because of all the stopping and starting in towns etc, plus it is worse with a yank

I know a lot of the French roads are good and if you are touring you can take your time, but to get to the sun fast it is motorways for us and no stress.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Some motorways are cheap, some now don't charge at all and others are downright expensive - the trouble is of course you won't know unless you have done all your planning at home or have a reliable internet connection en route so you can look up the next bit of motorway.

Or in our case whether the barriers will be automatic, because being 3.05m high on a manual one we will always be Class 2 but Auto, always Class 3.

We have been subjected to this at Auto barriers. press the button and complain, they will then adjust it and charge you as a class2

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

This is a discussion that never will be resolved as some people are adamant that they will not pay tolls regardless of the ecomomics. Its just the same as aires verses camp sites, sensible people are prepared to compromise on both issues.

From our experience toll roads are fine especially if you want to cover the distance quickly and in general the cost due to fuel saving and reduced wear and tear is almost offset ( not if you insist on chucking your barn door equivalent at 80 MPH )

I have to agree that the alternate is so often prettier and more interesting but the slowing down for villages and speed humps, the latter especially with bikes on the Fiamma, can get wearisome if you have many miles to cover.

Try and keep flexible in all you do and more important ENJOY IT

Lynda and Alan

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Well, this is also something I and many others consider every time we go to Europe.

Would it be possible between us all to compile a costing for the main routs from
Calais to South France, Spain, and Portugal?

Which sections of each journey is good value on the motorway and when to do the National roads.

Does anyone know where you can find the costs for each section of the motorways through
France????????????

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Well, this is also something I and many others consider every time we go to Europe.

Would it be possible between us all to compile a costing for the main routs from
Calais to South France, Spain, and Portugal?

Which sections of each journey is good value on the motorway and when to do the National roads.

Does anyone know where you can find the costs for each section of the motorways through
France????????????

Was about to ask the same question also I remember someone put a price list
up of charges on here, anyone remember where? :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

We find the best way to avoid the French Paeage....................is to go to Germany. It is a lovely country, very clean and efficient, and with toll free autobahns. The weather can be spectacular, as is the scenery too.

Not French, a bit cheaper, and definitely worth a visit. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back