Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
After returning from our 15 day 2000 mile ( + a few hundred on the motorbike) french trip, I have had a tot up of expenses as, like most of you I suspect , we are always on a tight budget.
This year we took just about all our food, including part baked bread, only buying salad, a few treats and gallons of wine:thumb: at the shops.
I was pleasantly supprised the total was around £700.00 including ferry, diesel , campsites (6 nights....others in aires) and around 30 bottles of wine to bring home.
We had a great time in the Tarn, Camargue and Dordogne areas, did just about everything we wanted to do including a couple of meals out!
I hope this post is not viewed as gloating or I can do it cheaper than others but as an illustration that france does not have to cost a fortune.
:Smile::Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Mick, some lovely areas of France you toured.

We are just about to get off in 6 weeks for a near 3 week holiday, here is our quick breakdown-----

Diesel £500
Ferry £50
Campsites £700 (yep your reading right)
Microflights £120
Quad Biking £200
Swimming £50
Food £400
Surfboard hire £300
Alcohol £ 0.10p :winky:
Happy wife, happy Kids, Happy husband,,,, Priceless :thumb:

That my friend is motorhoming with Kids, :Eeek::Eeek: Teenagers at that :Eeek::Eeek:
but still much less than our friends in Planes pay:winky:

However in winter this year we had a 10 night skiing holiday for less than a grand, others were paying 4 x that ammount for chalets.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Paul why would swimming cost you anything, don't the campsites you stay on have pools? - and obviously you also go in the sea at times as you hire surfboards???

Just by the by last year we were on the Aire at oh heck somewhere with a chateau LOL Azay le Rideau would it be? anyway - right by an open air lido so we went and think it cost 1.5 Euro each! was quite impressed by that - as it's nearer £3 a shout here now I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ah yes Sedge, Why would I pay for swimming, Good question I hear you ask. Well sites that are charging £xxx million per night do have pools, by me and my kids are adventures, therefore when you pass the WATER PARK with its array of slides twisting and turning in to the night reaching up in to the clouds,,, the hagaps (no Nikki she cant swim) just have to stop and sample. On one holiday we spent our time seeking these water parks out.::bigsmile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Spent two months in France in April and May. 3500 miles plus 1000+ on bike, total cost including diesel all the way from North Yorks, £2000. Average cost per night camping £3. Who said France was expensive!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - that certainly explains that, then, thanks.

So 'swimming' wasn't in fact swimming, just a complete euphemism for 'Indulging Dad' !!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This partic grandad I happen to be married to asked me if he could go on the Zip wire in the kiddies playground at Merville Franceville plage just last week, it being 11pm and nearly dark. I know I'm a complete spoilsport but I just had to say no. In places it didn't look tall enough even for quite a few of our grandkids!

Speaking of which anyone know the Zip wire on the Motorway Aire called 'Nord de Bord' on the A13 going towards Rouen from the N154 ?? Relieves a bit of boredom for all on a long journey! (there may be one on the matching Aire the other side but dunno)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Spent two months in France in April and May. 3500 miles plus 1000+ on bike, total cost including diesel all the way from North Yorks, £2000. Average cost per night camping £3. Who said France was expensive!

We have also spent many moths in France , our longest trip was 9 months in 2008 .

Being full time and on a tight budget the French aires are a real saving, as most know, many are free or only a few Euro .. municipals are also very GVFM , we use aries exclusively. Commercial sites are as expensive as the UK, if not more so in holiday towns.

Fuel was slightly cheaper and still is, but not really a great saving which can be lost ( if used ) on rather expensive Autoroutes which we only used to avoid towns, but they are usually free.

I would say food is generally more expensive.. meet, fish, and particularly poultry, even in an RV you can't carry enough to last nine months :roflmto:

We never eat out, but did notice restaurant prices could be very expensive.

We don't drink so cheap booze is of no interest.

Bottom line, a trip or holiday in any country is only as expensive as the depth of your pocket .. it can be as cheap as chips.. or eye wateringly expensive .. the choice is yours.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Flipping heck Jim! If we didnt drink our two month holiday would probably only cost £1000! It would break my heart to go to France and stay on expensive campsites when there are so many places to wild camp or Aires for free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back