Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Best advice is to check that the person you are buying from owns it:Smile:
Exciting times - What motorhome are you are you buying?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Good Advice

Jim

Like the Taoist quote by the way...I knew there would be some philosophers out there!

Looking very seriously at a Lunar Champ A511, but very bewildered by the choice!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are an absolute beginner it might pay to get an independent inspection, or even try and solicit a friendly local funster to give it the once over for you.

CLS ASH GEO and DMS are all members here who run motorhome service companies and might undertake a look for you, depends where you are and of course they will charge but I have no idea how much. There are so many systems to check and it can be a bit bewildering.

If you go it alone, make sure you get a test drive and that any promises made to you by a dealer are written down, go through everything with a fine tooth comb. Most dealers are honest but there are a few where you should count your fingers after shaking hands.

Do your due diligence on the dealer, ask your local trading standards if they have had any complaints, ask around on forums for experiences with that dealer.

There is lots more advice I could give but I have got to dash, I'll revisit your thread tomorrow:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Terry and Jim

Many thanks for your advice. Having never spent this sort of money on anything that wasn't made of bricks and mortar before we are certainly proceeding with caution, but I'm starting to feel like we are going around in circles a little. Like everything else worthwhile though, I guess its just a matter of putting some work in.

:Doh:

Upvote 0

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Take your time don't let your heart rule your head expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

Be prepared to walk away if you have any doubts

Check everything make sure everything works as it should do.

Get a HPI check done.

When you find the one get a independent inspection as damp in a motorhome can be quite expensive to put right.

If it is a new fiat check the forum on reverse judder.

More experienced members will post on your question when the log on.

Join Motorhome fun and become a funster it could be the best £12 spent especially as you are looking for your first motorhome with lots of questions to ask as i found out:thumb:

billy

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Welcome to fun xxxx

Best advice apart from getting an independent inspection is check it out thoroughly yourself.

Lie on the beds, if they are not fixed beds, check can you physically turn the table etc into a bed.

Sit in the drivers seat but not for just 2 minutes, is the seat comfortable for you

Will the oven etc cook what you want to = remember size is deceiving and some ovens are extremely small

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Best advice I can give is make haste slowly, look around see as many motorhomes as possible, visit a show you can see many motorhomes in one place, try them out cook a dummy meal, sit as though its evening does it work for you.

I always think you will know the motorhome you want when you see it.

Then as others have said get independent checks done, if you don't feel up to it.

Best of luck

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Whenever i have found something i want (or think its what i want) i walk away and sleep on it for a night maybe two and then if i havent changed my mind i get it.
I never buy a completly new unit, i let others pay a premium and have the niggles to sort out, but one that is at least a couple of years old, as it has still not done any real milage and has had little use

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Check the loo and shower. Make sure you can sit on loo comfortably and use shower with door shut! One chap I saw testing the facilities would have had his head sticking out the rooflight in the shower cos he was so tall :ROFLMAO:

Jim also does a checklist - well worth taking with you to check everything.

Have fun, S.:thumb:

Upvote 0

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi

Best advice I can give is make haste slowly, look around see as many motorhomes as possible, visit a show you can see many motorhomes in one place, try them out cook a dummy meal, sit as though its evening does it work for you.

I always think you will know the motorhome you want when you see it.

Then as others have said get independent checks done, if you don't feel up to it.

Best of luck

Quite right Dave we looked at hundreds over two years then by chance we went to look at one being sold privately and we knew straight away this was the one and we bought it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks to everyone for your replies and your advice. (I think I need to get my subscription off to Jim because Motorhome fun is going to be invaluable) We have finally (after sitting in about 200 vans!) decided that the layout we want will include an overcab bed, a centre dinette and a bench seat along one side. This configuration gives us the sense of space without sacrificing too much in length that I am still a little wary of. :whatthe:

We looked today at a Roller Team 500 (2007) and although it isn't the prettiest it seemed to have everything at the right sort of price. Everything that is apart from an oven! :cry:

Anyone know if a retro-fit is possible?

Upvote 0

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Thanks to everyone for your replies and your advice. (I think I need to get my subscription off to Jim because Motorhome fun is going to be invaluable) We have finally (after sitting in about 200 vans!) decided that the layout we want will include an overcab bed, a centre dinette and a bench seat along one side. This configuration gives us the sense of space without sacrificing too much in length that I am still a little wary of. :whatthe:

We looked today at a Roller Team 500 (2007) and although it isn't the prettiest it seemed to have everything at the right sort of price. Everything that is apart from an oven! :cry:

Aye get your hands in you pocket :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
T

It depends on space available but could be possible. We do not have an oven as such but have a small microwave fitted instead does what we want but you have to be on EHU to use.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back