Sep 17, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a long time
Hi all,

Having avoided buying a BBQ for 20 yrs (intentionally) for fear of the hard graft invoived in cleaning, I relented a month ago and we purchased a Cadac Carri Chef Deluxe - the all singing and dancing one. As we do not have an oven in our Flair 8000i thought the BBQ would be a good solution.

There is a but coming, after using it many times for different applications, using all the different cooking plates, I find the whole washing process takes me forever. Need loads of hot water (not condusive when wild camping in the winter), lots of scrubbing, tried oven cleaner and this doesn't make it much easier.

Although food is great, and still learning, my patience is running out with the cleaning.

Any tips, and no jokes about women and kitchen sinks, or should have bought a Remorski.

Thanks
Donna

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Any tips, and no jokes about women and kitchen sinks, or should have bought a Remorski.

Thanks
Donna[/QUOTE]

TBH, they can be a bit of a pain to clean. They should be non-stick..........but hey, welcome to the real world!:Cool:

Best bet with the flat dish - Ribbed side, wipe it off as soon as you get the food off. Not convenient when your lovelly food it waiting to be eaten tho'

Smooth side & Scottle dish.- Enjoy your food first then, when cleaning time comes, fill the dish with a bit of hot water, add washing up liquid and then turn the cadac on.
Boil the fluid and as you do so, the food reisdue will easily lift off.

HTH

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Do you know I bought or had one bought for me for Christmas, and finally got around to assembling and using it in the garden the other day, and like you thought it a real pain to clean, I used the stated plate thing to cook on .The food tasted great, but I have put the whole thing back in it's box,[ not an easy task either ] and don't think I will bother taking it out again.I certainly won't be putting it in the van for use ,and if I use it again it will be in the garden or not at all. I have a GAZ bottle with a burner attatchment and a cast iron plate type of Barbi/ grill in the van and I should have stuck to that as the only cleaning required is to wash the cast iron plate, easy ,and the food tastes great on it too.:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

We have a beauclaire which is similar to a cadac, we used to have the problem you describe until we bought some Bake 0 Glide sheet at a show once. It comes on a roll which we cut to get 2 sheets, we dont cut the sheet to fit the round plate but use as a square so no fat gets underneath it. At the Bring & Buy meet lots of funsters asked us about it as it definitely saves all the scrubbing, all you do is wipe the sheet down and wash if necessary. Unfortunately the person who used to sell it at shows has been ill but it can be sourced on Amazon. Hope this helps with your problem.

Sheila

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
I never clean my charcoal one I just burn it all off before I start.

I have a gas one with lava "coals" and that gets the same treatment, full on and wait for it to all burn off.

Hallii

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
if its really sticking you can contact cadac as they had a batch of grill plates that was coated in inferior teflon, they sent me a new reversable gridle and bbq plate a few months ago , there is quite abit of info on ukcampsites about it

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I never clean my charcoal one I just burn it all off before I start.

I have a gas one with lava "coals" and that gets the same treatment, full on and wait for it to all burn off.

Hallii
I do the same with my barbis which are similar to yours, { I have a thing about barbis and have quite a few } my favourite charcoal one I bought in a Charity shop [new] for 50 pence, it folds away to nothing, opens up to a small cube, big enough to cook food for two and uses very little coal, so why did I want a huge Cadac, I wish I knew the answer to that one.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
.................... so why did I want a huge Cadac, I wish I knew the answer to that one.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hmmm, me too!:Angry:
Oh that's right, I didn't but SWMBO considered it essential in case of the next thermo nuclear attack!!!!!!!:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Those of us that love our Cadacs:thumb: have on the advice of others bought the paella dish, it has completely revolutionised the task of BBQing, deep enough to keep all the splashes contained within and only one dish to wipe clean
Superbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Dump all the other plates and get a Paella dish:thumb:
Geo

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
I was hoping this question would come up before long.

We (the wife) had the same problem with cleaning, no problem on a site with outside dish washing facilities as lots of hot water and a bit of a soak sorts it out. The problem comes, as someone said, when you don`t have the luxury of a deep sink and oodles of hot water. So, she improvised and put it in a bin liner with some washy up stuff and hot water for 10 minutes and that seemed (she said) to give a satisfactory result.

I can`t do washing up, plays havoc with my hands. :winky:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I love my Cadac and have not found anything that I am unable to cook in it yet.

I only use the Paella dish which is an extra £30 but is non stick with high sides and a flat bottom. It fits over the complete cadac on top of the heat diffuser and does not allow anything to fall/slip down into the bbq itself.

To date I have cooked full breakfasts, (last new year for 50 people) curries, stews, ommelettes, Pizza and of course Paella. It only takes a few minutes to clean it with a paper towel and then a luke warm wash in soapy water.

I should be on commission to sell them I love them so much :thumb: So don't give up just buy the Paella pan!

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have the Paella dish with my Cadac too. might take the tablets and give it a try, seems a shame to get it all out of the box again though, just recovered from putting it all away.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have a rule, any cooking inside , i do .
Any outside Ralph does.
The cadac is his territory. After asking him , he says he just wipes the paella dish and the flat plate. As for the ribbed griddle a quick wipe whilst warm. Eats his tea. Then uses a hard sponge and warm soapy water , to get rid of stubborn bits.
Bev

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Hi

We have a beauclaire which is similar to a cadac, we used to have the problem you describe until we bought some Bake 0 Glide sheet at a show once. It comes on a roll which we cut to get 2 sheets, we dont cut the sheet to fit the round plate but use as a square so no fat gets underneath it. At the Bring & Buy meet lots of funsters asked us about it as it definitely saves all the scrubbing, all you do is wipe the sheet down and wash if necessary. Unfortunately the person who used to sell it at shows has been ill but it can be sourced on Amazon. Hope this helps with your problem.

Sheila

Go-Outdoors sells the Bake 0 Glide, or another brand of it

OP
OP
midget

midget

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a long time
Tks for all the great replies and advice. Have ordered the Bake O Glide from Amazon; sounds like a good product for us "lazy" cooks. Looking to order the Paella dish for the one tray fits all cooking. Anyone want to buy a Skottel??
I do like the pot stand though, great for those smellie chips and use it lots at home instead of smelling the house out!

Donna

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Sheila

i can second sheila's suggestion wholeheartedly....

i bought a sheet of 'bake o glide' two years ago on their recommendation but didnt use it until the bring and buy last weekend....absolutely fantastic.

i made a chicken curry, most unusual as i generally live on burgers and sausage at meets, using the cadac skottle top and the bake o glide.

after eating i just wiped the sheet with a paper towel, binned the towel and a quick wipe with a damp cloth.....job done and skottle still clean.

saturdays breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, beans and fried bread (remind me again what calories are :roflmto:) on the cadac and the same result....towel wipe, damp wipe and job done.

and you can re-use it hundreds of times plus you get enough for two sheets. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
John and two sheets,:ROFLMAO: I have this picture:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Its normally 3 sheets isnt it:RollEyes:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
cadac magic

we got a Cadac, wouldn't be without it, cook outside and no smells inside, easy clean just requires a wipe with a paper towel, immedeately after cooking, then a wipe with a damp cloth after its cooled down, when you get home! deep clean happens! we have a gas point attatched to the van, no need for extra gas bottles, well worth the £40 it cost to fit!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back