Hi from a Newbie seeking advice (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi. I've just subscribed to this site, having been lurking round in the shadows for some time - on a very steep learning curve. Have to say that as a Newbie starting with a knowledge level of nil, I've found this site to be a mine of information and, I think, well worth the subscription cost. The appeal of the site to me is not just the wealth of information available, but the spirit in which it is given. Anyway, I've eventually decided to plunge in and ask a question - Its a bit daft really feeling shy on an internet site isn't it? So here's my question - no doubt the first of many. We haven't got a motorhome yet, but are very actively looking - sussing out all the alternatives. There are just the two of us, plus two very active Dalmatians. I'm lucky enough to have been able to take a very early retirement and my OH will be taking his in the next couple of years. We hope to take short breaks in this country and extended trips in Europe, taking the Dallies, of course! We know that we want a German van, fixed bed or A class bed, not too big but with enough floor space for the Dallies when travelling. We intend to fit them up with safety harnesses. Our max budget is about £40,000 - but preferably less - want some money left to buy some cases of wine in Calais! Must be RHD. OH prefers not to have Fiat base, but that's not hard and fast. Also think he's probably unlikely to be prepared to look at any thing more than about 4 years old, regardless of low mileage. Does anyone have any advice as to what might suit? We've seen a couple of Burstner Delphins, which looked quite nice, but wondered whether there were any problems with them, as both were low mileage, and wondered why they had both come onto the market. Maybe we're just being over cautious. All comment/opinion/advice gratefully accepted.
Many thanks
Bella

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Hi, and welcome out of the lurking depths.

I cannot really help with your choice of MH coz I haven't get one myself yet but I know Brian ( Hilldweller ) has a Burstner and he seems quite happy with it.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Hi and welcome to the forum :Smile:

We bought our first motorhome, a 2006 Compass Avantgarde 200 in October last year and it was our first motorhome so when we found out that it had had 5 previous owners and a mileage of 6500 we became a bit wary about it.

We later found out that 2 of of the owners had been dealers and that it is common for people to buy a motorhome and then find out that they want a different layout or a larger motorhome, so they change their motorhome quickly.

The only "problem" with low mileage motorhomes is that the engine might not be run in yet and give a lower mileage than a similar engine with more miles will do.

Rasmus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:welcomefunster:

Someone from somewhere will soon be along to help. Until then welcome.

Phil

Got beaten to it!:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Quite a lot of motorhomes will have low milage , thats not because anything is wrong with them but that folk cant get away as often or for as long as they would like. Most of the german vans seem very well made and are popular as most are also winterised (but do check that as some are not).
I have a different form of vehicle a 5th wheel and my truck to pull it is over 3 years old now was an ex-demo vehicle had 700 on the clock when i got it and has only 16,000 on the clock now because its used mostly for towing and only some local runs.

Welcome to FUN

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I cannot really help with your choice of MH coz I haven't get one myself yet but I know Brian ( Hilldweller ) has a Burstner and he seems quite happy with it.

Delighted with it. It's a 2003 and seriously well built. Only clue to it not being new in terms of service are the dents I've put in it.

Of course I've no idea about the quality in newer ones. There does seem a tendency to go for style and gimmicks rather than solidity on new motorhomes in general.

The only way to buy is go put your bums on as many seats as you can find, taking a camera with you. The one scenario that tests a MH is rain. Think what you do when it's peeing down and you are stuck in there. Our Burstner, chosen partly for 6 seat belts, had railway facing seats and is lacking in loungability. But we cope. because it does everything else so well.

The other test is to pretend cook a meal.

Sleeping will not be a problem, clearly you are young and will indulge in vigorous sex every night, in true FUN tradition, and sleep like babies.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
When I built our first m/h we went away without the two dogs
jr cross terriers
after that trip I realized there was insufficient room
for them and us so the s/build was sold
so make a really critical decision of your respective
sleeping places

now comes the harder bit
I would give a lot of thought to lh verse rh drive
your o h would be familier with the roads and rules
in the uk restrictions everywhere

but transfer your thoughts to driving a rh truck in the foreign
geting used to driving on the Rong side of road and sitting on the
wrong side think I would sooner lh in uk than rh in the foreign

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi and a warm welcome to MH Fun

Must agree with Hilldweller nothing can replace getting into a van, and do what I call playing house in it for a while. Must admit we still do this when looking for a new van, have yet to find a better way. We get some funny looks but who cares its my cash that is getting spent.

Dealers will often see what you are doing and leave you alone, if not forget them they are not going to get my money.

Do this in as many vans as possible you soon learn, what you don't like.

Nobody can say what van you want except you, what suits me you would possibly hate.

Best of luck

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bella you can get a lot of motorhome for £40k, the choice before you is bewildering. Have you been to a show yet? The chance to see hundreds of layouts, (yes there are literally hundreds:Eeek:) all in one place. You already have a shortlist of items, at a show you really can start adding too it and your ideal motorhome should start to become apparent. That's the theory anyway::bigsmile:

Best of luck with your search:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi and welcome

The only advice is to look at as many layouts as possible but at a budget of £40k you will have a wide choice indeed.

If you do as we did and only bought a small autosleeper then you will have to teach your Dallies how to reverse it took us eight weeks of a french trip to teach our GSP to reverse but she absolutely loves it now.

Enjoy Alan and Lynda

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
and do what I call playing house in it for a while. Must admit we still do this when looking for a new van, have yet to find a better way. We get some funny looks but who cares its my cash that is getting spent.

I suppose full rampant s*x in the showroom or on the forecourt would get you some funny looks.......:Eeek:

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Lots of foodd for thought and useful pointers. We're planning on going to the show in Cheshire, later this month. Although we've looked at plenty of motorhomes, we haven't actully driven one yet, and it seems that should be our next step.
Laneside - well done on teaching your GSP to reverse. Can't imagine the Dallies cottoning on - and they'd have to do it in tandem! Think we definitely need something with turning room. They will be sleeping on the floor, though. Thought we'd put their vetbeds in the footwells.
Hilldweller - with regard to the vigorous sex in which we'll be indulging every night, do you think that the Burstner suspension will be adequate?

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Bella,
and welcome to a fun site, we hired before we bought that give you the chance to try for a week or weekend, and as jim said shows are great but you just get lost in all the hype !! but with that sort of cash poss Rv may be right with the dogs gives you lots of floor space, most euro vans limited to floor space i have a roadstar great van but gally style living Rv next time for me i think, any way good luck with your hunt dont forget to look up were motorhome fun is at the show i am sure many will be there and also gives you a chance to see vans in use (ie with dogs in them)

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Carl
Yes, we'll look out Motorhome Fun, at the show. Hope we'll be able to join in ourselves, next year!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back