Calais to Barcelona - Route/stop suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,
Going down south for 3 weeks in Oct, and looking for any suggestions or overnight stops on campsites please.

Also, anything I should stop and see on the way? I'd hate to meet folk on my return and they say did you go there???:Doh:

Thanks very much, S.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
Going down south for 3 weeks in Oct, and looking for any suggestions or overnight stops on campsites please.

Could this be the woman who thought France was the end of the world where demons would eat her alive only a matter of weeks ago ?

Awesome.

This is some journey - right through Paris :thumb: your satnav really will earn it's keep.
You get to see Millau according to Autroute.
Lovely journey in the summer.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
And I returned alive and in one piece:ROFLMAO:

All down to you and your encouragement.

If I have to do Paris :Sad: perhaps i'll do a night drive, hopefully less vehicles on the road.

Thinking about the Versaille Palace, pictures look good!

Please feel free for any more ideas/suggestions!
S.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Whooooo - hooooooo Way to go Sue.

No stopping you now, you're a long distance Funster.

Sorry I can't help you with a route or overnight stops, but I hope you have a great trip.

Brisey.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Got the hang of:
the ferries,
the toll booths,
The sat nav
the ACSI book
and driving on the wrong side of the road:ROFLMAO:
But need to master my foreign langauge skills!!!
S

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If I have to do Paris :Sad: perhaps i'll do a night drive, hopefully less vehicles on the road.

Thinking about the Versaille Palace, pictures look good!

Please feel free for any more ideas/suggestions!
S.

Think M25 and you can do Paris. Just take your time. Never tried it at night. Theory is good 'till you need to stop.

I'm guessing 4 days each way, do you have time for sightseeing ?

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Think M25 and you can do Paris. Just take your time. Never tried it at night. Theory is good 'till you need to stop.

I'm guessing 4 days each way, do you have time for sightseeing ?

I,ve got 3 weeks from 9th to 30th Oct:thumb:
S

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we did this trip a couple of years ago.....

MISS PARIS !!!!!!!

we went round the top via reims/troyes and down the center once past paris....
cant remember the exact route but we didnt touch any Peage roads until we left barcellona heading south, and then they let us through for free.

once you hit the A75 its free all the way except the Millau bridge toll...around €8 i think.....and took us 4 days to hit barcellona but easy driving of around 200miles each day.

there are a few campsites and at least one aire (left at the roundabout down the hill off the motorway) at millau and the towns worth a visit.
return the same road from millau for the spectacular bridge drive-over.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I,ve got 3 weeks from 9th to 30th Oct:thumb:
S

So you've 13 days free, make it 12 for safety, how long do you want to spend in Barcelona ?

Trouble is it's so late. I'd suggest Birraritz, Carcasonne and Argles Plage as worth seeing but not at their best that late. Nothing worse than holiday resorts that are shut up, dead.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've done Calais to Barcelona in 2 days, which because I like driving, is fine. So 3/4 days should be ample time for you. We always keep left (west) of Paris and travel via Rouen.
Carcasonne is well worth a visit as is Rocomadour.
We stayed at a great site at Chauvigny near Poitier called Camping la Futuriste which is convenient for Poitier and the Futurscope science park.
There is also a good site at Estartit in Spain called camping Rifort which is convenient for the town and is very clean and the owners speak English.
Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you have not been to Oradour sur Glane it is an experience you should not miss - head down the A20 towards Limoges and its not far off to the west. You can stopover at Parc Verger then plough on towards Rocamadour - as commented above, well worth a visit - before pressing on to Carcassonne and points south.

Cheers - enjoy your travelling

Bob and Di

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Biarritz, lovely in any season. Oradour-Sur-Glane, did not do it for us, except perhaps the church. It is staged, whereas it is meant to be as it was on the day, I KNOW lots will disagree, I have read some posts. We found the Women's Concentration camp Ravensbruck near Furstenberg very moving. Nothing much left there except sadness. Jane

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Paris

If you decide to travel through Paris the advice I was given several years ago and we have done it several times is when you are aproaching Paris from Calais keep following the Bordeaux signs and it takes you round the pherifique (ringroad). It takes you through to Orleon, and then you can pick between several different routes.Regards Alan.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Calais to Barcelona-Route/stop suggestions

Hi, thanks for all your responses, very helpful. Will look at route planning next week:Doh:

Any other singletons want to come along?? Drop me a PM.
Sometimes you just have to do these things!!!

S.

mpc13

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Funster No
We have been in France for 5 weeks (stranded in Arles). So many beautiful stops but they might be a bit far west if you are straight lining:
- beautiful campsite called le Brevedent in Normandy (middle of the countryside but lovely set on a little lake and very friendly)
- Honfleur lovely seaside town in Normandy, with an aire very close to town on the water
- Mont St Michel is spectacular (stayed in good campsite in Pontorson)
- Loire valley lovely for chateaux (staying near Blois), our fave was Checoneau
- St Emilion is a lovely village in Bordeaux if you like your vino - keep in mind you have to drive around the village itself in a MH, but there is a campsite about 2km called domaine de la barbanne and they have a shuttle to get into the village
- San Sebastian is great seaside city in Spain, good for pintxos and beach. only one campsite about 5km out (easy to get bus to the beach and town) but quite overpriced and as they are the only campsite they are a bit cursory in the service department.
- Brittany is fabulous but a bit of a 'dog leg' for your journey

have fun!!

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Calais to Barcelona-Route/stop suggestions

Link Removed

Millau%20Viaduct%20In%20Southern%20France.jpg

As suggested by Brisey - this I really must try and see:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Good for you Sue!
There is a nice aire in Champagne country at Mareuil sur Ay near Eperney where you can visit the champagne houses - but check they are open in harvest time.
There is always the Disneyland aire from which you can get the high speed train into Paris and do the sights.
On the east side route, Camping les Bouleaux in Beaune is open all year and has marvellous heated loo and shower block.
On the west there is a nice site at La Souterraine.
Nimes, Arles, Pont Du Gard are worth a visit.
Whatever you choose have a great time!
Dave & Lucille

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back