Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
To all our friends in Scarborough,

I have seen in the news that Scarborough Council (or is it Nth. Yorks?) has opened a site for travellers to use one week a year as they congregate for their annual thieving fair, OOps - sorry, that should read horse fair.

My point is, what will happen to the site the other 51 weeks of the year. It occurs to me that it will make a geat aire, toilets, water, showers electicity. Time to canvas your local concillors and encourage them to offset their investment and perhaps turn a profit.

Good luck. If someone would post the email address for some of your councillors we (other Funsters) could also canvas them and let point out the advantages of such a scheme.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sounds like a good idea but what hapens when the "travelers" find out aits open all year round,and then want to move back on.
Please don`t get me wrong,I have nothing against "travelers" only I cannot stand the smell of burning wire.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was struck by similar thoughts yesterday evening when I saw the story on the local TV news. Looking at the Scarborough Council web site it appears that only the water supply has any permanence (there must be a supply there to enable standpipes to be used) and that the black waste arrangement is temporary (no permanent Elsan point). There are no electricity points or showers.

However, the potential is obviously there if the council could obtain permanent planning permission and install an Elsan point. They would also have to be able to staff it to run it as a proper basic site (presumably restricted to traveller use during the horse fair) to avoid the problems mentioned by Snowbird.

If anyone does feel like making constructive suggestions to the council their contact details are Here.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If the local councillors can get it up and running for a travellers fair.

Why dont we ask them if they can do the same for a funster meet?

Then they could get 2 weeks use out of it a year

I saw a programme on sky recently about the travellers horse fair and it looks an interesting event to attend

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well where shall i start :winky:

the travellers site in question is a field.....nothing more.

there is a water supply, temporary, at one side of said field, which i think is supplied from the farm via polypipe.

no elsan points, no hookup.

there will be portaloo's around the site....but with 40 to 50 + caravans on site how long will they take to fill both 'manually' and by cassette, and will they be emptied on a daily basis, i doubt it !

Now for the truth of the matter......

Scarborough council no more want the travellers than any other town but we are stuck with them.

they used to use, for years, a remote lane known as 'longlane' between the villages of Seamer and Crossgates but the powers that be didnt want it to continue so ,somehow, they put an end to it.
they then offered a field to the right of the Musham bank roundabout (the last major roundabout before town) which had a severe slope over most of the area with a flat 'strip' at the bottom.
so the 'visitors' made other arrangements....like parking on the 'common' land on a housing estate (Centurian way) at Crossgates which the residents werent too happy about and became confrontational as you may expect.

the council then had talks with the travellers 'spokespersons' and agreed a site at seamer.
this turned out to have very poor drainage and became waterlogged so back to centurian way.

the new site is a flat field and , i believe, well drained but is still a farmers field.
there is a daily charge of £5 per caravan (which to us is very reasonable and less than most CL's) but to the travellers is a smack in the mouth when they can simply use 'common' land for free.

so basicly what could be an aire is simply a donated field and will revert to a field when they've bought and sold their horses and gone elsewhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
also forgot to mention the Seamer horse fair was granted a Royal charter in the (i believe) 1500's and still stands today, but the authorities like to think otherwise.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
So come on pappajohn

I want your honest opinion

Is it worth pushing for a motorhome fun meet on the same site bearing in mind the facilities are in place

what do you think??????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i doubt it.....too much vested interest by council members with caravan sites locally :Angry:

and of course, they dont want the 'visitors' on their nice prestine sites do they :Doh:

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
i doubt it.....too much vested interest by council members with caravan sites locally :Angry:

and of course, they dont want the 'visitors' on their nice prestine sites do they :Doh:

It's a shame but not surprising. No one enters politics these days through a sense of idealism or public service. Vested interests to the fore!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks, John, for your local knowledge.

Seems that Scarborough Council (as with those administering places like Appleby and Yarm) is somewhat between a rock and a hard place in having to accommodate "traditions" which are becoming more and more out of place with the requirements of modern day society.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
deviating from the original thread but the latest update re: travellers.

they have rejected the site on the grounds it isnt big enough for them and their 100+ horses. :Angry:

in light of this revelation where the hell are they going to park their 100+horses on a residential street (Centurian way) ???? :Doh:

you just cant help some folks :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I reckon they'll end up cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

The people of Scarborough and the police aren't going to tolerate disruption like that on Centurion Way in the past. Every year there are more and more complaints generated by Yarm Fair and Appleby had problems again this year.

I'm sure there are many of us who would prefer to see some aspects of our younger days continuing but, whether we like it or not, the whole world has changed and travellers, like everyone else, have to change with it. If not they are going to find that public opinion will turn against them, the fairs will be cancelled completely and they'll be moved on if they attempt to camp in numbers.

Graham

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
IMHO there is nothing "fair" about a horse....

I put a bet on one and it falls over...

Rather buy a sub to MHF(un)

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back