Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I'm all problems today :RollEyes:.
I have had my Winnie for almost 12 mths. so I think its time to sort out its problems before winter returns and its to cold to work on her.

It has a Onan LPG genset fitted, it turns over fine, but just won't start, I have topped up the oil, and the battery is good, I have had the spark plug out a while ago and it appeared to be wet, which i thought was odd, I thought gas would evaporate ??

I know nothing of this type of unit so any help at all would be appreciated.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
LPG engines need to start on petrol, has it a supply? is your petrol tank low?

Upvote 0

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
When was it last run? Not only is it likely to need petrol to start but petrol "goes off" with old age. If the petrol is several months old I'd look to putting some fresh in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Petrol:Confused: i thought it was LPG, doesn't mention petrol in the owners manual, just says to make sure the LPG is on.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

I had the same problem and it was the LPG solenoid valve in the feed line that was stuck.

It was a simple job to remove and clean it .. If that is ok, check the solenoid coil and it has 12v when you crank the engine.

John. LPG Gennies don't have a petrol supply for starting.

Upvote 0

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
My RV's Genny works off LPG, and does not need to start with petrol, as I think is the case with all RV LPG gennies.

If your LPG tank is less then 1/4 full the genny will not work. I think it is a safety precaution!!!!

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
LPG engines need to start on petrol, has it a supply? is your petrol tank low?
Not the Onan genny John,it runs totaly on LPG.
Those Onans are pretty much bombproof. I believe Cummins are the agent for them in the States,so whether a Cummins agent can sort the problem here I dont know..This is the Cummins freefone no...08002866467 I always found them very helpfull.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Jim, they had me going then!
Where will I find the solenoid valve, will it be on the unit or nearer the lpg tank?

Motovating, my LPG tank is low at the mo. but it was just under half full when I bought her, and it didn't work then either, I got a few quid off the sale price because of this.

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Road Runner eats humble pie:roflmto:

I have 2 LPG vehicles so thought it would be same system for starting.

I am forever humbled by my misleading post:winky::roflmto:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish my 998cc onan would run on LPG:shout::cry:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As has been said these are LPG only and if you look in your gas locker you'll notice you have two regulators. I beleive, well on our at least, the rear most one is the geni so follow it for Jim's advise.

When cranking can you smell LPG? Our was a bugger to start the other day, though some of it was me:Blush:, kept releasing the switch as it caught when it needs held for a second or so after untill it's fired properly. No LPG smell would to me confirm gas feed problem, like Jim said or duff regulator. Failing that, spark plug out and check you're getting a spark CAREFULLY.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
T

TomTee

Deleted User
Ditto.

OT who was the marketing "genius" who came up with Onan as name for a series of generators?

My thoughts exactly. He obviously has no knowledge of the Bible and who Onan was! I once had a budgerigar called Onan - I named him that because he always spilled his seed on the ground.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Jim any clue as to what this soleniod looks like? I have followed the pipe from the tank to the genny but there is nothing on the line, it just goes into a hole in the side of the genny?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim any clue as to what this soleniod looks like? I have followed the pipe from the tank to the genny but there is nothing on the line, it just goes into a hole in the side of the genny?

A small valve with a coil on top with a pair of wires but it sound like yours may be a different set up from mine which looks similar like this

Link Removed

hopefully someone else with your genny can advise better, do you not have a manual or drawing showing the lpg feed ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I do have a user and installation manual, sadly not one of them show inlet, only exhaust diagrams.
I'll go and have another look for the solenoid, it may mean removing the genny from it's housing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I found something that looks a lot like the solenoid pictured, although the top of mine has a top part that unscrews, I only know this as It was already loose! I also found an in line fuse underneath the truck that is all corroded so I will replace this tomorrow, and just tighten the solenoid? to begin with, and see where to go from there.

Thank you all so far for the advise:thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I found something that looks a lot like the solenoid pictured, although the top of mine has a top part that unscrews, I only know this as It was already loose! I also found an in line fuse underneath the truck that is all corroded so I will replace this tomorrow, and just tighten the solenoid? to begin with, and see where to go from there.

Thank you all so far for the advise:thumb:

The coil is usually secured by a nut to the core and the core screws into the valve body, that is probably what you have tightened .. so give it another try once you have replaced / cleaned the fuse and holder ..

If that fails then look to removing the coil and the core of the valve and give it a clean with some petrol or whatever you have to hand .. it should slip up and down inside the core easily. Be careful not to drop the spring inside.. it's a bugger when it shoots away under the RV :roflmto:

.. I'm sure I don't need to remind you but make sure you have isolated the LPG at the tank before dismantling the solenoid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
The coil is usually secured by a nut to the core and the core screws into the valve body, that is probably what you have tightened .. so give it another try once you have replaced / cleaned the fuse and holder ..

If that fails then look to removing the coil and the core of the valve and give it a clean with some petrol or whatever you have to hand .. it should slip up and down inside the core easily. Be careful not to drop the spring inside.. it's a bugger when it shoots away under the RV :roflmto:

.. I'm sure I don't need to remind you but make sure you have isolated the LPG at the tank before dismantling the solenoid.

Er:Blush: No no not at all, isolate the LPG before dismantling the solenoid :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Ok I'm being thick again, I can't figure out how to turn off the gas.

My tank has the two regulators to the left, which appear to be connected to a valve, what is confusing me is it says vent underneath it???

I have to fill the tank soon as well, for the first time, and I'm not looking forward to that as I don't know how:Blush:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ok I'm being thick again, I can't figure out how to turn off the gas.

My tank has the two regulators to the left, which appear to be connected to a valve, what is confusing me is it says vent underneath it???

I have to fill the tank soon as well, for the first time, and I'm not looking forward to that as I don't know how:Blush:

there should be a valve between the regulators and the tank..

one regulator feeds the domestic gas, the other the genny ..

You will need an adaptor to fill the tank... like this
LPG-B.JPG

http://www.abp-accessories.co.uk/productindi.php?id=422

do you have one ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I have one of them, not sure what to do with it, but it's a start.

I don't have any valve between the regulators and the tank though, I did take a photo but left my phone in the camper, will post them tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
No valve, are you sure:Eeek: To the immediate right of the regulators is where it should be, there has to be one or else you can't isolate the tank, filling, regulator changes, appliance maintainance etc. You may find it seems stuck but clockwise is off anti on.

Ours always seems stiff when going from off to on and vise vera.

If you keep going right of the regs you should have a yellow cap, unscrew and screw on the widget as per Jim's post. You want the pins at approx 11 and 5 (clock) for ease of getting your typical LPG gun on, go slow first time, read instruction, have a good look at the gun to understand how it works.

Oh, and once you get the gun connected you press and hold the button and wait, eventually it will start to pump. I only mention this as, err, I didn't know or read that bit of the distructions 'my first time':Blush: There is a 'ball cock' type fill limiter, they are not regarded a fool plroof though ours (touch wood) is fine, switching off when the guage read 3/4 full, guages are again notoriously iffy but I figure on if it reads the same every time it's a good measure :)Rofl1:) of a safe fill.

There is another widget on the tank marked vent (?), a small brass tap/square. The idea is you open this when filling also and when liquid (LPG) comes out you are full. Full by the way is 80% (ish) full to allow for expansion of the gas in the tank.

We as yet haven't used the vent method relying on the guage and shutoff, mainly because it is stuck and I suspect a spanner required, or, if ain't broke don't fix it, that my opinion NOT a recommendation:thumb:

Took me a few fills to get the hang of the gun connection etc and a few more to get comfortable with the filling, wear thick gloves when disconnecting the gun after fill by the way, the small amount of gas released on disconnection is freeeeezing, and once I didn't have my hand in the right place and it took a couple of hours to get feeling back where the gas got me:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I'm off to the camper later, I'll have another look, take photos and post them up later.

Having a look at a house today, should be able to get Winnie on the drive there.:thumb:

I've got sore neck muscles today form lying underneath yesterday fixing the fuse holder:RollEyes:

Haven't managed to get the genie going yet, I want to isolate the gas first (coz that is what you are supposed to do) and have a good look at the solenoid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Here is a picture of the valves to the right of the regulators. What is the one next to the fill valve, it says something on a tag around it, but Its worn off.
Is the one with vapour written below the one I should turn clock wise to isolate?

Attachments

• DSC01498.JPG
    DSC01498.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here is a picture of the valves to the right of the regulators. What is the one next to the fill valve, it says something on a tag around it, but Its worn off.
Is the one with vapour written below the one I should turn clock wise to isolate?

The one next to the fill valve is a small bleed screw, this should be 'cracked open ' when filling .. this lets a small amount of gas escape ..
It's not to relieve pressure but to give you a visual indication when you have reached the 80% fill mark.. when you see white vapour escaping you know it's full. !
You don't need to open it, but in the event of both the level gauge and the auto shut off valve failing.. this would let you know to stop filling .. hope that made sense ..

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it may be best to ask someone who is familiar with RV LPG systems to come around and explain everything to you in person..I get a bit uneasy giving advice when things can go wrong..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Jim, no offence taken. The problem I have is I don't know anyone, that is why I am on here.

I understand your apprehension but not to worry, when i go for the first fill up I'm going to an LPG plant rather than a petrol station, I hope to get some advise from them.

So is the valve on the left the one that isolates the tank?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, no offence taken. The problem I have is I don't know anyone, that is why I am on here.

I understand your apprehension but not to worry, when i go for the first fill up I'm going to an LPG plant rather than a petrol station, I hope to get some advise from them.

So is the valve on the left the one that isolates the tank?

Hi

Without inspecting the set up , I would say Yes , it looks like the isolating valve.. the guy at the filling station should be able to say for sure.

shame your not closer to me, I would have come to see you

good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I tried to start the genie today but no joy. I didn't smell any gas though, this would be either my gas is actually turned off:RollEyes:, or the solenoid is stuck, or, the gas in the tank is to low.

I guess I should get the tank filled first and go from there.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back