License requirements (1 Viewer)

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi

I am considering getting a motorhome to live in about 10 months a year. Whilst searching I have come across fifth wheelers, and, well, fallen in love with them. My only real issue/question is about my driving licence. I have a UK car licence but didn't pass my test till 2003 so after the magic date in 1997. What kind of licence do I need to drive a fifth wheeler? Do I need to pass any more tests before I can jump in? Having seen them I would now much prefer one of these to a 'normal' motorhome.

Thanks for your help

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. well you have different options. if i was you i would go for the trailer test on your b category giving you b+e that allows a vehicle with an up to 3,500kg gross vehicle weight towing any weight trailer ,so long as the train weight of the tow unit is not broken.
eg.iveco unit weight 2,000kg can have 1,500kg on load and still pull 5,200kg.

eg. my mitsubishi weighs 2,800kg. can pull a train of 9,600kg and could be driven on a b+e.
the other way is to go for c1+e but that means taking c then another test for c1+e.
have a look on the dsa ,driver standards agency site.or tel. dsa on 03002001122. they can tell all.
if you have probs or cant get info .phone me i find it easier to talk than tap on here sometimes. 07971962361.
cheers alan

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
ooh, thanks for that Alan, just the info I was looking for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mind not a easy test so i am told but as i passes in 88 i seem to be ok but good luck with driving standards agency, there web site is realy helpfull go there,

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Go For It

Hi

I am considering getting a motorhome to live in about 10 months a year. Whilst searching I have come across fifth wheelers, and, well, fallen in love with them. My only real issue/question is about my driving licence. I have a UK car licence but didn't pass my test till 2003 so after the magic date in 1997. What kind of licence do I need to drive a fifth wheeler? Do I need to pass any more tests before I can jump in? Having seen them I would now much prefer one of these to a 'normal' motorhome.

Thanks for your help
Had 3 motorhomes over 6 year period and bought a 5ver 12 months ago -brilliant so much better for our needs Al.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back