Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Not sure if I’m posting in the right area but here goes anyway.
My partner and I do a lot of wild camping in our Compass Rambler shortly to be part chopped for a 2010 Autosleeper Cotswold E/B in a week or so and never before considered a generator to supply the electric for our white goods.
Even though our old van has a television we have never ever used it even though I do have a power converter to boost a spare leisure battery output, if I had one, to 240volts.
My new van comes with a built in television that has freeveiw and a DVD player built into it, it would be a shame not to make use of it so my question is what type of generator I need to run a television, lights and an upright fridge/freezer.
I have done a little homework and have been looking at a Wolf WP980 at £74.99p would that suffice or do I need something with more power output….
Basically I am open to suggestions but feel paying hundreds for one is a little over the top.

Bip. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
assuming the 980 is the output then it should be fine. Sadly, I believe in getting what you pay for and have a 1kw honda which not only does the job it does it quietly.:winky: reliable, no back ache trying to start it, but expensive.

But to your question, 1kw would be ample unless you want deep fat frying or heavy useage.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bip, I take it that these are all standard fit items in your new van ? The F/F will run on gas and your new tv will be 12v so everything should run off the l/Batt :thumb: Depending on size of the l /batt will determine how long you can run things for but a couple of days and night should be very achievable without problem :thumb: If any longer is needed the simple way is to add another L/Batt doubling your down time to 4 / 5 nights. All of these could be charged while the engine is running or on hook up using the in built charger. Try it before spending money on gennys or solar panels :thumb: you may well find you do not need either :thumb: the most that can happen is you will be a night without the tv :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Compass57

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Thanks for your quick replies I was amazed to have the advice I needed so quickly.
The van I have now as I have said does have a television in but I think the previous owner had the television added as an extra, if that being the case why wasn’t a 12v television fitted at the time.
The Cotswold I pick up next Monday not only has a television with freeview and a DVD built in but also has a high level microwave over the sink fitted as standard, will that be 12v too……I know as you might have guessed not a lot about the van but one thing I do know it doesn’t carry bottled gas, there is a 20 liter tank fitted, the problem with that idea is my local garage which wasn’t doing to well has closed due to pressure from three large supermarkets within five mile from each other, it was the only garage I know of in my vicinity that sold propane by the litre.

Bip.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi chances are the micro will only work on hook up- lots of garages sell lpg -- make sure you get a full instruction and write it down on how to use your van - if it takes a couple of hours so be it :thumb:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi again
Can not imagine having a 12v microwave as they are not much cop by reports but you never know.
With the gas, there are3 plenty of LPG stations about and a 20 litre tank will last you plenty. But before buying a gennie I would check the Microwave power output if you intend using it, I tend to use a skillet.

OP
OP
Compass57

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Thanks once again terry.
The sales person who talked me into having the van has said I get an hours induction to the wonders of the van before I’m let lose on the main roads, no doubt being as thick as I am it will take me several weeks to figure out what everything does and where most things go, but isn’t that the beauty of having a new van, simular to when one meets the right woman.

Bip.:thumb:

OP
OP
Compass57

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Thank you too haganap for your input.
I too would doubt the microwave being a twelve volt version but one never knows does one.
Even though having a microwave fitted as standard I doubt very much of us using it, my partner insists on cooking all food fresh and won’t entertain mico meals or anything that has to be defrosted first in one, she will leave any frozen food overnight to defrost naturally well away and as far back from the lip of any work surface so if our dog stands on his hind legs he can’t reach, that in the past has been a problem..the micowave will come in handy for storing frozen food to defrost over night in.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Bip, just a note if you don't already know, if you run your generator within the hearing of another MH who does not have a generator, you stand a good chance of making an enemy.

Doug...

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Noisy, smelly, anti social inventions of the devil.

If a genny is run by me expect some VERY early loud noises.

I also throw bread on the roof of the offender, birds on your roof are very noisy.

As has been mentioned, a generator will make you a few enemies, and abroad they are not so laid back as me.

They will cut cables, let your tyres down and empty their toilet over your bonnet and down the heater intake. I have seen this happen first hand.

With an LPG tank, a couple of batteries and a good solar panel you should never be short of power.

I manage for months on end with such a set up.

Hallii

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
ignore the anti generator brigade.

In winter when we are on aires skiing, every single van has a generator. No one complains as they are necessary fact.

When we go to shows, lots of vans have Generators, lots of RVs have inbuilt generators. they are tolerated without issue unless being used stupidly like past 10pm.

You do what you wish to do, if you want one then get one. The quieter the better, and just use it sensibly, with your requirements you will hardly have to use it anyway.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Noisy, smelly, anti social inventions of the devil.

If a genny is run by me expect some VERY early loud noises.

I also throw bread on the roof of the offender, birds on your roof are very noisy.

As has been mentioned, a generator will make you a few enemies, and abroad they are not so laid back as me.

They will cut cables, let your tyres down and empty their toilet over your bonnet and down the heater intake. I have seen this happen first hand.

With an LPG tank, a couple of batteries and a good solar panel you should never be short of power.

I manage for months on end with such a set up.

Hallii

Rubbish, utter Rubbish, try taking a family of 4 skiing in the winter with out one and see how long you last.
You and your family will be frozen solid by midnight:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think we need to put it in to context here. yes if you are in the winter climes then it is normal for generators. if in the middle of summer or in a nice quiet sunny place then they arent apropriate.
yes i have 3 solar panels but i also carry a big diesel kipor genny. need it for emergency grinding ,welding tools etc. could be used if nec. to charge batteries. but very often never have the need to use it all trip.
have been at shepton mallet show when someone arrived put out a genny left it running all day till 11.o.clock at night then switched it off .got up at 7 in morning and put it back on.never asked why but shook my head in wonder.
i do find it hard to understand why some need so much power.
i built my truck originally to be in isolated places ,never had solar so gas lights, gasfridge,instantanious water heater only heats what you need. etc . in his day and age i would think companies would build along these lines .they do abroad. .good insulation etc. anyway turn that genny off use less not produce more.
cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Rubbish, utter Rubbish, try taking a family of 4 skiing in the winter with out one and see how long you last.

too true :thumb:

but on the plus side, he will be able to watch birds on the hot vans roof :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

I wonder, do you have any figures on what percentage of the European motor home fraternity go skiing, I personally don't have a clue but I would put money on the it is a very, very small percentage, that puts you in a minority!

But don't worry I am often in a minority and it does not bother me. but only on opinions. I do have the good sense not to run a generator on a WILD camping spot and near another camper.

If you re-read the original post you will see that the guy was proposing to wild camp and not go skiing.

Your advice to him (if he were to take it) could get him into a problem, and I'm sure you don't want that, do you?

Doug...

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Kinda what's been said already here?

Wait and see how you get on. TV will likely be 12volt so don't worrie and flat screens arn't like the old cathod ray jobbies for power consumption. As you don't like the microwave, well what's the need for 240?

As it happens we don't like microwaves either, if we happen to be on hook up which is usually in winter SWMBO likes to use it for rice as it cuts down on the condensation but that's about it, actually it gets used so infrequently we both invariable end up staring at it like a pair of demanted fools trying to remember how it works:ROFLMAO:

Our Winnes got the usuall Geni built in, we've used it once in anger (an hour) when after 4 nights the batteries got VERY low, bad weather, parked under a tree (solar pannel) but apart from that in the year and a half we've had her that's it save a few run ups on the drive to 'excersize' it.

Re the anti geni brigade, best bet is if you realise you are going to need and it's the right solution, ie beyond the extra battery and solar options, have a good read about the subject, and between the nonsence you'll find the generall excepted etiquet re running them. Obviously there are plenty of selfish geni users but pick any subject and there will always be someone/people who annoy the masses?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Compass57

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Thanks all for the advice; it looks as if I’ve stirred up a hornets nest with the pro’s on one side and the anti genny brigade on tother.
As I say I don’t know a lot about this new van and the brochure I have isn’t all that explanatory I’m just going to have to wait until next Monday when I pick her up at Derby Motor Plus at two.
The van I have at the moment has a leisure battery but that is more or lest dead within a couple hours use.
I am very economic with electric and will only have one light on at a time, basically enough illumination to read by, if music is required I use the cabs radio/cd player.

Again thanks everybody you really do live up to expectations.
PS..brilliant site by the way.

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hiya

at the risk of getting the porta potty put on my pretty van( try saying that when your drunk) I have a generator too- but I only use it when I wildcamp and never if there is another motorhome near me cos I wouldnt wish to be anti social LOL

The wolf gennie is rubbish. I nearly killled myself starting mine up and its now in the shed banished forever. I got myself a Yamaha quiet one with 1KW power and it was dear but starts like a dream and powers all I need.

Enjoy your new van and I wish you many happy miles in it

Bessy regs

Kenny

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Just do it !!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks all for the advice; it looks as if I’ve stirred up a hornets nest with the pro’s on one side and the anti genny brigade on tother.
As I say I don’t know a lot about this new van and the brochure I have isn’t all that explanatory I’m just going to have to wait until next Monday when I pick her up at Derby Motor Plus at two.
The van I have at the moment has a leisure battery but that is more or lest dead within a couple hours use.
I am very economic with electric and will only have one light on at a time, basically enough illumination to read by, if music is required I use the cabs radio/cd player.

Again thanks everybody you really do live up to expectations.
PS..brilliant site by the way.
Then cough up your £12 and be a proper funster.....come out of the cupboard !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I see from your post that the salesman said you only get 1hrs tuition on the van, I would wait and see if I understood everything and if not keep asking him to re-explain it, he is hardly likely to throw you out as soon as your hour is up :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have an 85w solar panel and two 113ah leisure batteries and all LED lights, but we are not proper wild campers, we will not use a wet wipe to wash do things in plastic bags and dump it. :Doh:
We don't go without, we live the same as at home," ie ":Smile: If we want to have 3 or 4 hours on the internet and sit and watch Tv half the night we do, when Jane does the washing and she wants the spin dryer on,:Smile: Out comes the Genny that's why you have all the luxuries that you cart around with you. Never had any problems with anyone abroad, met Germans and French with generators, always offer my neighbour to plug in when it going on. And if we go on an Aire in France with Free Electric out comes my splitter and we share it.::bigsmile:

We sometimes take the Car and stop on Aires if there is enough room, and there was only one time anyone said something about it only being for camping cars, and it was an Englishman in a new Hymer. :Doh: And odds are he is probably towing a car himself now.:roflmto:
So I say if you need power go for it, we had a 1kw Kipor for 2 years did the job, but get noisy when working hard, so we got a 2kw Honda, heavy (21kg) but a great bit of kit.

Or you could get a solar panel or two about 9 kg each, and only work sometimes, but cost nothing to run, just had 3 weeks in North Devon not turning a wheel and had plenty of laptop spin dryer every 2 / 3 days and tv every night and a fair bit of sunshine and used about 3 ltrs of petrol, but just remember the generator does what it says on the box 24 / 7 . :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
so we got a 2kw Honda, heavy (21kg) but a great bit of kit.

snip

remember the generator does what it says on the box 24 / 7 . :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Indeed it is Bob, you can't beat a Honda .. :thumb:

Oddly enough, we've used ours more since moving into the house..

During the winter we had several power cuts that lasted several hours, one lasted more than a day .. out came the 2kw Honda and extension cable , TV, Internet , fridge, freezer and a lead light .. all on .. :thumb:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bip, just a note if you don't already know, if you run your generator within the hearing of another MH who does not have a generator, you stand a good chance of making an enemy.

Doug...

Same here even though I have one sitting in the garage I would'nt dream of taking with me and p***ing off the neighbours. Fit a good bank of batts and a decent solar panel and leave the hairdryer at home

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
generators

Bloody hell we can we can`t believe the amount of crap that is thrown at anyone suggesting they might start a genny up.
They are certainly more quiet than someone starting the motorhome engine to charge the batteries.

We sail and have a motorhome and say that a genny does have it`s uses, on our yacht which has an onboard 5 kva genny the exhaust makes more noise than the genny, we have a 2kw kipor for the motorhome and it`s really not that noisey used at a sensible time it`s fine.
We have just had a month touring around Scotland we have one 80 amp solar panel and only used the genny a couple of times when we needed 240 volts and we weren`t on EHU.
In our experience as long as people have the decency to ask those around and it`s not a silly time of the night then using a genny is ok.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Same here even though I have one sitting in the garage I would'nt dream of taking with me and p***ing off the neighbours. Fit a good bank of batts and a decent solar panel and leave the hairdryer at home

Hi, how much do your large bank of batteries weigh ? And how much do you get from your solar panel :Smile: I must admit sometimes I'm impressed with my 85w but not very often. :Smile: We try not to have neighbours when the genny is running and have been known to go somewhere else away from anyone but there is always someone that thinks " that's a nice little spot and parks next to you ":Doh: ::bigsmile: Bob.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi, we have an 85w solar panel and two 113ah leisure batteries and all LED lights, but we are not proper wild campers, we will not use a wet wipe to wash do things in plastic bags and dump it. :Doh:
We don't go without, we live the same as at home," ie ":Smile: If we want to have 3 or 4 hours on the internet and sit and watch Tv half the night we do, when Jane does the washing and she wants the spin dryer on,:Smile: Out comes the Genny that's why you have all the luxuries that you cart around with you. Never had any problems with anyone abroad, met Germans and French with generators, always offer my neighbour to plug in when it going on. And if we go on an Aire in France with Free Electric out comes my splitter and we share it.::bigsmile:

We sometimes take the Car and stop on Aires if there is enough room, and there was only one time anyone said something about it only being for camping cars, and it was an Englishman in a new Hymer. :Doh: And odds are he is probably towing a car himself now.:roflmto:
So I say if you need power go for it, we had a 1kw Kipor for 2 years did the job, but get noisy when working hard, so we got a 2kw Honda, heavy (21kg) but a great bit of kit.

Or you could get a solar panel or two about 9 kg each, and only work sometimes, but cost nothing to run, just had 3 weeks in North Devon not turning a wheel and had plenty of laptop spin dryer every 2 / 3 days and tv every night and a fair bit of sunshine and used about 3 ltrs of petrol, but just remember the generator does what it says on the box 24 / 7 . :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

We have a Smart on a trailer behind our Hymer S700 at all times. We have just done 7 weeks on Aires in Northern France, Normandy and Brittany with no problems.

We have an inbuilt Gasparini Egergy 20 LPG genny onboard behind the back axel. (12v output at 20A) This cuts in when the leisure batteries drop to 11.5v and off at 13.5v Automatically. We occasionaly need to fire it up if we have had a short run between Aires. It can take a couple of hours to bring the batteries back to full charge.

At Damgan after moving from Arzon we put it on at 11am to get the batteries up. At noon a Frenchman complained about the noise. We had an Irish couple in their van next to us who said it was no problem and was not noisy at all. They were sitting out at the side of their van talking. The French guy was parked behind the hedge from us and further away than the Irish couple, so some will complain no matter what time of day you run a geny even a very quiet one.

Our onboard fridge had failed so we had a portable one on gas outside from the barbi point and he was pointing at that when complaining, so he couldn't even pin down the noise source at our van door and I believe he was just anti geny.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back