Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Friends of ours are looking to buy and have decided that they would prefer a motorhome with bunk beds. Please can any of you post makes and models of any with bunks or if you have one with bunks please post too in case it gets missed, so I can pass info on so they can see which to look out for.

Many thanks

Dale

Last edited:

Liane

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Since April 2010
Hi :) We've got a CI Carioca 656 with rear bunks which are very generous in width and could quite easily sleep two children on each, either side by side or top to tail, although generally as it is a six berth we don't need to double up. Double bed over the cab area, and the dinette converts to a double bed also. My partner and I did share the lower bunk once just to see how cosy it was :thumb: we are not large people though. You do of course sacrifice a lounge area for the bunks, but that hasn't bothered us in the slightest. I much prefer having the beds already made up, and we sit outside a lot. The driver and passenger seats in the cab area are very comfortable and can pull forward and recline if you found you needed some extra seating.

The other camper with bunks we considered was a seven berth McLouis - that had bunks up the side of the van, and had two dining tables, one to seat two and the other to seat four. Both tables converted into berths, the single had the option to be a sofa. The downside to this one for us was the very cramped kitchen area, with no worktop space or draining board. The kitchen area on the Carioca is excellent as is the toilet and shower room. The shower has a folding door on it which means the rest of the bathroom stays dry. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

I have a Carioca 656 that I bought from new. I full timed in it for 18 months and had a great time. good 2.3 Fiat engine that has been faultless in 4 years and 26000 miles. Bunks are 1 metre wide - 3ft 3 inches, good size toilet with seperate shower, fridge and 4 burner hob/grill. Ours has Cat 1 alarm, Airide, 2 solar panels, 2 batteries, central locking, Nature Pure filter, Reversing camera, reversing sensors, bluetooth, Sat dish, DVD, awning, tow bar, Gaslow, 1000w inverter and status aerial. The only downside is lack of full cooker, but thats only ÂŁ500 to get done. A job for the winter I think.

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
I got some helpful suggestions on my thread last week Link Removed Unfortunately, since I've changed my mind about what layout we want, I've got rid of my bunk bed list :Doh:

I think my list had the Carioca 656, Chausson Flash 03, Mizar Living GTL, the Adria that Haganap has that I still never managed to track down in the flesh, Dethleffs Eurostyle A69, Lunar Champ 541, RImor Katamarano, a Ford Corado (Carada/Corada?) ....

Liane

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Since April 2010
@ Dave ... 656

Wow! That's a well pimped Carioca! I want some of that on ours. ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Dont know if you remember the inside of ours Dale.
Its got generous bunks, considering Jacobs 6 foot 1 now , hes got plenty room on his bottom bunk .
Mizar GTL living top class . Ours is the 2006 model.
They changed the layout and interior build after that year , so newer models may be different. You can still pick them up for around 30k.
Bev

e20rod

Free Member
Mar 8, 2010
Inverurie
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just started!
Rollerteam Autoroller 700. Twin wheel transit base, bunks along the side at the rear along with washroom. Huge overcab bed, 2 diners, one for four 1 for 2 or we use the 2 as a sofa. 7 berth in total with 6 traveling seats.

Cheers,

Rod.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I got some helpful suggestions on my thread last week Link Removed Unfortunately, since I've changed my mind about what layout we want, I've got rid of my bunk bed list :Doh:

I think my list had the Carioca 656, Chausson Flash 03, Mizar Living GTL, the Adria that Haganap has that I still never managed to track down in the flesh, Dethleffs Eurostyle A69, Lunar Champ 541, RImor Katamarano, a Ford Corado (Carada/Corada?) ....

See some ones done all teh hard work for you.:thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Our Sea New Life ICE 37 has rear bunks, centre dinette and over cabin double.

Link Removed

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Our Sea New Life ICE 37 has rear bunks, centre dinette and over cabin double.

Our old Bus has exactly the right layout that works for us....Very similar layout.

Wish we could afford/find another that has the same..:thumb:

Rear bunks are the way to go with us.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I'm interested in this thread because we're still investigating all the possibilities. Does anybody use the bunk beds for adults i.e. like fixed twin beds? We have been considering fixed twin models but there is a shortage of outside storage. The bunk types give the best of both worlds as far as I can see but I always assumed they were for kids.

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
We have a Mooveo C647 with bunks on the side. Massive bathroom and an overcab double. Loads of floor space too. Tend to use the bunks for both adults sleeping, easy than getting up into cab bed. Comfy and plenty of room for me. I'm 5'10 and have a couple of inches at the bottom of the bed.

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our Frankia 740 ed has got massive bunks over the width of the van. 220cm long and 85cm wide. I always sleep in them and it is oh so comfortable.

Maddie

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I love the Frankia Like Maddie has but alas a little expensive, still one day:whatthe:

mavisangelica

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Newcastle
Funster No
Exp
I'm interested in this thread because we're still investigating all the possibilities. Does anybody use the bunk beds for adults i.e. like fixed twin beds? We have been considering fixed twin models but there is a shortage of outside storage. The bunk types give the best of both worlds as far as I can see but I always assumed they were for kids.

We have just bought the Autoroller 700 with the plan that the 2 of us would use the fixed bunks and 15 year old son would use the over cab bed leaving the living area free. Had our first trip away last weekend and hubby decided that he couldn't get away with being in the bottom bunk so used the small dinette (we had it set up as a sofa anyway). I was going to use the top bunk but rather than having the ladders in the way used the bottom and found it fine. When we are travel to Italy in the summer, I will use the top bunk and use the bottom as a garage until we get to Garda.

Obelix67

Free Member
Aug 31, 2009
Switzerland
Funster No
Exp
I got an L reg VW in 1983
If you would consider american RV style the damon daybreak offers bunks, also the Triple E commander available through Gold RV.

I quite like this layout :
Link Removed :Cool:

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Flash S3

We have the Chausson flash S3 with bunks across rear - 130bhp ford engine. Bunks both fine for adults to sleep on (full width of 2.35m van!) - we have two teenagers and after cycle camping for many years they love their van and own space :winky:. I personally don't find it easy getting into the top bunk but have slept on both. The overcab kingsize is huge! Great to have 4 beds ready to sleep without having to get the dinette bed ready. With a family I don't know what I'd do without the garage either. The big advantage for us is that the van is only 6m long which is great around town since we sometimes use it as a second vehicle and it fits on the drive so we're always ready to go - probably one of the shortest bunk bed vans around.
Hope this helps someone.
J

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
I know this is an old thread : we're looking for something similar, an overcab with a bunk to sleep 3. Chausson Flash S3, Benimar Mileo 313 (this one's new and pricey though) or an older Lunar Champ A541.
Most of these don't have swivel front seats though. I don't know why not - maybe it is because the dinette can then convert to a double bed more easily? I'd use the garage for storing expensive bikes and outdoors kit when away from the safety of the campsites.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Most front seats in a Luton don't swivel because the floor is lowered between cab and had areas, it'lowered to make room for the overhead.

Our three fitted into our overhead quite easily as they are very wide so with children there's usually enough space in both width and length.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back