The Spanish Job - A Pitstop Production (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That smooth talkin' pitstop has been telling grand tales of Spain and what they get up to.

It started here.....

Link Removed

The important link: http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=36.201014,-6.03555&spn=0.0129,0.023046&t=h&z=16

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...d=Yzezqs7DOOHRVCXIrOigkA&cbp=12,42.33,,0,9.47

Bottom line is we are debating "when" not "if".

Top price for one month is €300 with EHU, WiFi and UK TV, dropping to €250 for longer stays.

Now to negotiate with neighbour for cat feeding and the usual Calais or Bilbao costing, though I don't think Bilbao stands much of a chance on £££ grounds. Or weather for that matter, the Bay of Biscay is not the place to be in a winter storm.

Over to you PP, you started it.

OH --- I did ask "will you be doing free bacon butties every morning ?" but the answer cannot be printed in here. In fact it cannot be printed anywhere. But luckily I didn't understand one bit of it, 'er indoors just went bright red and I got the message.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
we are sailing portsmouth-santander 15th Sept Brittany Ferries (£572.00) Booked at Pinar from 1 Oct:Smile:

Ant & Debs

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Top price for one month is €300 with EHU, WiFi and UK TV, dropping to €250 for longer stays.

It could be cheaper as exchange rate at 1.23euros to £ and "expert" on BBC said may hit 1.30/35 by end of year. Cheap winter sun:thumb::thumb:

Dave

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we are sailing portsmouth-santander 15th Sept Brittany Ferries (£572.00) Booked at Pinar from 1 Oct:Smile:

Ant & Debs

Is that return ? If so when ?

I got £680 return but only by using dates that are irrelevant.

If not return - Ye Gods.

Quick calculation Calais to Zahora = 1700 miles so possibly 1000 more than Bilbao which in our van = £200 fuel each way plus stops. So £680 return to Bilbao starts to make sense in view of the time of the year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
:Angry::Angry:
It could be cheaper as exchange rate at 1.23euros to £ and "expert" on BBC said may hit 1.30/35 by end of year. Cheap winter sun:thumb::thumb:

Dave

Is that return ? If so when ?

I got £680 return but only by using dates that are irrelevant.

If not return - Ye Gods.

Quick calculation Calais to Zahora = 1700 miles so possibly 1000 more than Bilbao which in our van = £200 fuel each way plus stops. So £680 return to Bilbao starts to make sense in view of the time of the year.

No thats single fare. which we thought was reasonable bearing in mind that our 5ver and pickup when hooked up is 50 foot long. Plus 6 litre Pick Up although duel fuel, road tolls etc.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No thats single fare. which we thought was reasonable bearing in mind that our 5ver and pickup when hooked up is 50 foot long. Plus 6 litre Pick Up although duel fuel, road tolls etc.

Ah, now it make sense. In fact a lot of sense to you with the mpg you will be getting.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Been scouring your Google maps Brian & am a little concerned with regard to the amount of trees on this site. Not just any trees but Umbrella Pines, the ones that support those nasty little Processional Caterpillars. :Eeek:
We know why the Spanish plant them (for shade) but they can be a problem for animals and us. Some years ago I got attacked by them through no fault of my own and was covered with a rash that lasted over a month, not pleasant.
Perhaps Marie can tell us if there are any clear areas on the camp site because these trees can block out the sun for part of the day & keep the temperature down. Hopefully this winter will be hotter than last and that will not be a problem. :thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Been scouring your Google maps Brian & am a little concerned with regard to the amount of trees on this site. Not just any trees but Umbrella Pines, the ones that support those nasty little Processional Caterpillars. :Eeek:
We know why the Spanish plant them (for shade) but they can be a problem for animals and us. Some years ago I got attacked by them through no fault of my own and was covered with a rash that lasted over a month, not pleasant.
Perhaps Marie can tell us if there are any clear areas on the camp site because these trees can block out the sun for part of the day & keep the temperature down. Hopefully this winter will be hotter than last and that will not be a problem. :thumb:

Yeuch, I wish you hadn't said that.

Link Removed

With free hook up at least you/we can use an electric heater.

Over to you PP.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dave

I like that news ::bigsmile:

SPAIN FERRIES - anyone doing the research, P&O finished for good in September. Brittany publishes it's new routes on 12th July.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have driven the route from calais to spain/portugal many many times in coaches/trucks.
Ant

It's OK if in holiday mode but a real grind to do it in winter just to get there, I think. It equates to 50 hours extra driving compared to Santander.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999

Yes there are a lot of trees on the site but they were sprayed last year and we only saw a few that were blown out of the trees in a gale! No processions!! :Smile:

Some pitches get the sun for longer than others but no pitches are completely free of trees. However, as the site is never full it is always possible to follow the sun on to neighbouring pitches! Last year we ( us and Ray & Joan) had 2 pitches for the vans, 1 for the car, 2 for washing lines and a couple of sun terraces!!! Not at all like Rosaleda!:roflmto:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Yes there are a lot of trees on the site but they were sprayed last year and we only saw a few that were blown out of the trees in a gale! No processions!! :Smile:

Don't treat them lightly Marie, they can be a problem after being sprayed. maybe the weather helped last year.
The fact that they sprayed clearly shows they do have a problem, and that will re-occur each year.
I was attacked after they had been spraying, as the hairs from the dead caterpillar are still very toxic. I had to shower twice a day and apply cream for a month and even after that you can get a rash from contact with the hairs for some considerable time.
Pets are at great danger from them also and Link Removed
The pic. was me after the spraying in 2005 not that far from Cadiz, the whole coast has a lot of the trees the caterpillars like, and the Spanish use as shade.

PS I never got a tan that year I looked so bad without a shirt. :)

Attachments

• Spots.jpg
    Spots.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Keith

We saw a lot more the year before but they weren't a huge problem - quite a few dogs on site too. No dogs had a problem as far as I know.

The only problem seems to have been with the person (who we both know!!:winky:) who decided to scoop them up in his arms and came out in a rash, he then proceeded to rail against the campsite staff and was promptly ejected from the site!

No-one else had the same problem to my knowledge.

The campsite staff are excellent at responding to any problems - they take things seriously!

We saw a lot more processionary caterpillars when we went up the Sierra Nevada! I counted a line of over 200 at one point!!

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
This was posted on another thread so I thought I'd copy it to here too!!​

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven View Post
We would like to come to Spain for some of our winter trip Once we know our going away date we can factor it in.

Sounds like a nice place and a funster meet would add to the enjoyment.

Could I just ask Marie, as someone mentioned it was a bit remote, is it an easy bus or taxi ride to get to a few places?

Thanks

Don't know about taxis as we never used them but there is a bus once a day at 10.45 into Conil (about 10k's away) returning at 1pm or 3pm.

We hired a car for a few weeks a couple of times last winter which enabled us to go and see places. This year we intend to hire a car long term if we can get winter rates from the car hire co. Last winter we paid €77 a week for a smallish car. We reckon we could do a deal to improve on that!

We also find that we can take the van out quite easily around there - plenty of parking!! Quiet roads! Easy peasy!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Marie! I didn't realise you could rent a car so cheaply which is definitely a handy alternative to taking the van out all the time.

Better get planning :Smile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Marie! I didn't realise you could rent a car so cheaply which is definitely a handy alternative to taking the van out all the time.

Better get planning :Smile:

Well it was a 1947 2CV, the early one with one headlamp and no roof.

Well it did have a roof in 1947 but not by 1948. Pretty much the same as the doors.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Slow cookers ???

What's the feeling on slow cookers as an easy/convenient way to get good food on a long stay ?

Any brand names to look for ?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
What's the feeling on slow cookers as an easy/convenient way to get good food on a long stay ?

Any brand names to look for ?

Brilliant Brian.
Had one for the last 2 years in the South in winter doin all sorts in it.
It has the benefit of keeping the van warm as well, saving on gas, if the weather is a little inclement. (But we wont think about that)
Ours is only small, & of course low wattage, as we only cook for 2.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brilliant Brian.

Thanks Keith.

Had a quick look on ebay and someone is selling 6.5l "refurbs" for £1.99 - OK a tenner delivered so being the last of the big spenders I've ordered one to play with.

If it's no good you'll see it at next year's B&B.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hilldweller,

You sure you ani,t one o them there rednecks a settin on your porch a plunkin on your banjo ?:ROFLMAO:
Tee Hee
Chrisboyo

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks Keith.

Had a quick look on ebay and someone is selling 6.5l "refurbs" for £1.99 - OK a tenner delivered so being the last of the big spenders I've ordered one to play with.

If it's no good you'll see it at next year's B&B.

If you fill that one Brian we can all join you for dinner. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you fill that one Brian we can all join you for dinner. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is true, they say "6/7 people".

The choice seems to be 1.5, 3.5 and 6.5l.

So I picked up a pan and it filled at 3.5l. It just didn't look up to a whole chicken. Anyway for a tenner we can play with 6.5l and if that's too big then downsize. Logic says 6/7 for one meal does us for 3 days, with only one cooking effort, I'm not bothered if it's the same for 3 days. Or doesn't it work like that ?

There's an old saying, well you should know, no-one would mistake you for a teenager, "what will hold a lot will hold a little".

Watch this space for the next exciting episode.

This takes me back a few good years, remember when there were boiler and roaster chickens. I can remember chickens boiled for hours and the delicious soup. My mum used to let them go cold, scrap the fat off the top then boil the soup. I'm slavering now :RollEyes:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hilldweller,

You sure you ani,t one o them there rednecks a settin on your porch a plunkin on your banjo ?:ROFLMAO:
Tee Hee
Chrisboyo

I watched The Body Snatchers last night, now I'm wondering if it was fact or fiction.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
This is true, they say "6/7 people".

The choice seems to be 1.5, 3.5 and 6.5l.

So I picked up a pan and it filled at 3.5l. It just didn't look up to a whole chicken. Anyway for a tenner we can play with 6.5l and if that's too big then downsize. Logic says 6/7 for one meal does us for 3 days, with only one cooking effort, I'm not bothered if it's the same for 3 days. Or doesn't it work like that ?

There's an old saying, well you should know, no-one would mistake you for a teenager, "what will hold a lot will hold a little".

Watch this space for the next exciting episode.

This takes me back a few good years, remember when there were boiler and roaster chickens. I can remember chickens boiled for hours and the delicious soup. My mum used to let them go cold, scrap the fat off the top then boil the soup. I'm slavering now :RollEyes:

We tend to do joints of chicken instead of a whole one. Lamb shanks are melt in your mouth, and pork ribs done in it before BBQing them are amazing.

In Spain we were buying chicken carcasses, (cheap) after the butcher has cut off the joints to sell, and done in the SC make a very tasty soup.

Keith

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brittany Ferries Timetables

The new Brittany Ferries timetables are on line, 2 days late.

A quick price for us, Santander, out Dec back Feb gave £680.

On the face of it expansive, but.....

It saves 2000 miles driving in the winter. It saves 8 days driving.

So the numbers. Calais ferry £80. 2000 miles fuel £400 * 1.5 for wear. 8 stops £100. Total saved £780. And that is without tolls.

Looks like Santander is a no brainer for a winter dash to warmer climes.

Anyone know the road conditions, straight down, Madrid, Granada in December ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back