what is the nicest panel van conversion? (PVC) (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thinking of downsizing everything, house car and camper:Sad:

I have been looking this week at panel van conversions..... the nicest I have seen (so far) are the Globecar and probably the Hymer Car 322. want standard layout, bed acroos the back and front lounge with seating for 4

anyone else have a suggestion or opinion?

Other recommendations most welcome::bigsmile: Prefer 6m and 3500kg chassis option

3 litre auto or 2.3 6 speed? (Fiat:Doh:)
Plus is the fiat "JUDDER" still an issue with 2010 vans?:RollEyes:

T

TomTee

Deleted User

I have been looking this week at panel van conversions..... the nicest I have seen (so far) are the Globecar and probably the Hymer Car 322. want standard layout, bed acroos the back and front lounge with seating for 4

Other recommendations most welcome::bigsmile: Prefer 6m and 3500kg chassis option

It's not a panel van but consider the Hobby Van Exclusive. 6 metres, transverse double bed, large garage, superb build quality, big payload, four seatbelts and on a Ford Transit, but make sure you get the uprated engine (140 bhp).

It's not too wide either which I value. The only drawback may be the price as they're a bit more expensive than some British ones.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was looking at these at a show the other week, don't know much about the company but they did look good Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I was looking at these at a show the other week, don't know much about the company but they did look good Link Removed

That's IH motorhomes :thumb: nice vans on a par with timberland :thumb: both some of the best I have seen
terry

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Horizons Unlimited Link Removed make some, but more "compact" and no rear lounge. IMO the best made (e.g. oak framed furniture etc) - and our usage/abuse of ours proves the point.

IH also good (but different)

When looking around, some converters do use cheaper build methods which I'd suggest you avoid. You really want a well made and well insulated one as, out of the box, PVCs are less insulated than coachbuilt.

Trannys/Mercs have the best (most efficiient) space utilisation.

If you don't have a make in mind, can you wait till the big NEC show in Oct?

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I would have liked a panel van conversion , but no panel van seems to be wide enough to fit a transverse bed which is long enough to fit a transverse bed ; byr the time you have put in some insulation , about 5ft 6in would be the maximum comfortable height

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
After looking round the panel vans IH.seems one of the best, but I still have reservations on the Fiat base, and have seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

Maybe when the new Renault appears it will have a slightly wider body and make a crosswise bed a possibility, as I had a Devon Master conversion and all I found wrong was the crosswise bed length to short.

I would wait and see myself.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I would have liked a panel van conversion , but no panel van seems to be wide enough to fit a transverse bed which is long enough to fit a transverse bed ; byr the time you have put in some insulation , about 5ft 6in would be the maximum comfortable height

I'm 5'10 and sleep across no problem at all and with legs/neck straight.... And yep, thats with good insulation. Don't think the transit is unique, think the fiats have roughly the same?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

one word Ambulance :thumb: 6 ft 6 ins wide internal :thumb::ROFLMAO: The new shape Ducato etc are 6 FT 4 INS INTERNAL SO KNOCK OFF 2 INS FOR INSULATION LEAVES YOU 6 FT 2 INS OR IF YOUR NAME IS HYYMER THEY CLAIM 6 FT 4 INS WIDE :ROFLMAO: so they must not use insulation :thumb: - sorry for caps
terry

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
according to fiat the current ducato van is 1870mm internal width
deduct 2 x 40mm for the insulation and panelling and you have under 1.8 metres

I'm no longer over 6Ft , but I wouldn't regard that as comfortable

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
according to fiat the current ducato van is 1870mm internal width
deduct 2 x 40mm for the insulation and panelling and you have under 1.8 metres

I'm no longer over 6Ft , but I wouldn't regard that as comfortable

Hi I have measured one and 1870 mm is between the strengthening struts not panel to panel = 6 ft 4 ins = 1940mm- insulate between the struts :thumb: 1 INS OF MODERN INSULATION IS EQUIVALENT TO A 1 FT OF FIBERGLASS :thumb: Leaving you 6 ft 2 ins or internal usable width :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we actually slept in a PVC overnight at Belgium dealer when our van was in for some warranty work. it was a Karman Davis and we slept very well indeed, we are both about 5.9-5.10 and found the bed fine. Me being FAT the corridor was a different matter:cry:

the UK vans seem to be strictly for 2 and dont like the rear lounge layouts my back just dont do making up beds:Smile: We have tennagers who come with us occasionally (can sleep in small tent) so front lounge, 4 belted seats and rear bed best for us

so far this is in the running a globecar, the quality looks good and someone over on another forum has ordred the longer twin bed version which is lovely but to long:Sad: love the pull out drawers...sensible or what.

Link Removed

But most of these vans have poor insuation (lucky to get 10mm) and a small fridge. The euramobil quixta has 27mm insulation and heated tanks as standard(extra cost with most)

The Hymer has biggest 97 litre fridge, and the best bed according to recent tests in Promobil German mag and came out well for winterisation due I guess to the 7 kw deisel heating (i prefer the gas/electric heating and Ill fit a refillable gas tank under van)

I guess from a resale view the hymer will always be easier to sell on.....

will go to Dusseldorf show end of August to have a good look around (have been twice before and excellent) and see whats new for next year.......

deepstar

Free Member
Dec 27, 2007
lancashire
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
30+

try autocruise accent seems to fill all you requirments
rgds bill

deepstar

Free Member
Dec 27, 2007
lancashire
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
30+

try autocruise accent seems to fill all you requirments
ive got one on order
any one out there got one???
rgds deepstar
rgds bill

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Evening all,

I have an adria twin , the bed is ok for me 5ft9ins. I reckon its ok for six foot people .

The insulation is ok for sub zere camping and not too expensive.

georgio

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Evening all,

I have an adria twin , the bed is ok for me 5ft9ins. I reckon its ok for six foot people .

The insulation is ok for sub zere camping and not too expensive.

georgio

I am 5.11 and I would not consider any van without at least 6ft 2 ins bed-- been there and got the tee shirt :Doh: hence my post to newbys layout / comfort is the most important thing in any van
terry

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
I have the new shape Ducato, selfbuild with fixed rear bed, 6ft tall and no issues, go for the 2.3 and Remap it, a lot more fuel efficient than the 3.0. I am averaging 35mpg from mine and don't hang around.
My advise would be to buy the base van from a main dealer and approach a conversion company to design your ideal layout. If the converter is unknown this will affect your future resale but if you plan toi keep a few years you can't go wrong imo:Smile:

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have the new shape Ducato, selfbuild with fixed rear bed, 6ft tall and no issues, go for the 2.3 and Remap it, a lot more fuel efficient than the 3.0. I am averaging 35mpg from mine and don't hang around.
My advise would be to buy the base van from a main dealer and approach a conversion company to design your ideal layout. If the converter is unknown this will affect your future resale but if you plan toi keep a few years you can't go wrong imo:Smile:

interesting...who did you get to remap and how much is it? does it affect warranty? dont really want the 3 litre or auto but concerns regards "JUDDER" are pushing me that way.....

I have a hightop 2.2 ford and that goes like the clappers , so 2.3 should be more then enough in a panel van.

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
I Remapped it myself as its what I do, The 2.3 Fiat engine is nearly identical to the Iveco Daily engine, my fuel rail even has Iveco stamped on it:ROFLMAO: Mine is a 57 plate, not noticed the judder, all you need to do is give it move revs on an incline if need be. My van produces better bhp and torque figures than the standard 3.0. What is the difference in price between a manual 2.3 and a 3.0 auto?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Me being FAT the corridor was a different matter:cry:

Perhaps its not just the 'van you should be looking to 'downsize' oh Cuddly Juddly one! :ROFLMAO::winky:

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yes expensive you pays for what you want
enlighten me re weight penalty????
rgds deepstar

the auto gearbox and bigger 3litre engine: gearbox 17kg more and engine 65kg more ...... so that extra 82kg which comes of your payload? manufacturers have a habit of forgetting these little details:winky:

Soooooo as a 2.3 is overloaded with only two people and stuff on the front axle to begin with.....you need a 3500kg chassis or better still a 35 MAXI chassis

axle weights are this (I think):

33 1750 front 1900 rear
35 1850 front 2000 rear
35 maxi 2100 front 2400 rear (same as 40)

why I like the Ford as rear axle is 2250. 1900 in a camper is pathetic.......

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
the auto gearbox and bigger 3litre engine: gearbox 17kg more and engine 65kg more ...... so that extra 82kg which comes of your payload? manufacturers have a habit of forgetting these little details:winky:

Soooooo as a 2.3 is overloaded with only two people and stuff on the front axle to begin with.....you need a 3500kg chassis or better still a 35 MAXI chassis

axle weights are this (I think):

33 1750 front 1900 rear
35 1850 front 2000 rear
35 maxi 2100 front 2400 rear (same as 40)

why I like the Ford as rear axle is 2250. 1900 in a camper is pathetic.......

Hi Judgemental, trannys are only 5 ft 10 ins wide :cry: so no long travese bed there then :ROFLMAO:
It has to be one from the fiat stable -- width wise it goes fiat etc, master, tranny, merc/vw, iveco missed ldv :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi Judgemental, trannys are only 5 ft 10 ins wide :cry: so no long travese bed there then :ROFLMAO:
It has to be one from the fiat stable -- width wise it goes fiat etc, master, tranny, merc/vw, iveco missed ldv :ROFLMAO:
terry

I know the tranny is not in the running...But the new Master/Movano may be used by some converters...will have to wait and see OR risk a Fiat:Doh: if I get a 2010 one, do they still judder?:Sad:

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I'm curious as to why it must be a panel van. I'm sure you've a good reason but I'm not sure what it is, possibly width?

A coach-built on a Transit, such as the Hobby Van Exclusive that I mentioned earlier, is six metres long, 2.14 metres wide, so you get a proper-sized transverse bed over a large garage.

I can understand a panel van if it was about five metres and would go in ordinary parking spaces but you've said that you're happy up to 6 metres.

The big advantage is that you avoid the Fiat chassis!

Please don't think I'm questioning your judgement, I'm sure you've a good reason but I'm not sure what it is. I personally don't like the big sliding door that you get on many panel vans.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Please don't think I'm questioning your judgement, I'm sure you've a good reason but I'm not sure what it is. I personally don't like the big sliding door that you get on many panel vans.

I dont like the sliding door much either...I have a Ford based Euramobil coachbuilt and want a van that can be used like a car, parked like a car etc....had a VW westfalia years ago and this will be full circle really.

we are moving house and trying to find one with parking for camper is difficult. a PVC is unlikely to upset the neighbours to much and can fit on an average drive.

I just think we will get more use out of one, have only done 13000 miles since bought van new in 2007. I can get a 2010 LHD van for around 30k. another coachbuilt would be at least 15k more.

we had an extended holiday in Thailand due to the volcano in the spring, we loved it and I would not feel so guilty visting s/e asia for the winter with a 30k van sitting on the drive.....

a metal box dont leak, easily repaired and more resistant to minor damage from trees etc... and it is harder to break into. plus you can fit commercial quality locks so more secure as well plus a small safe bolted through metal floor

yes a compromise but we think its one we can live with::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back