Where To - The Dordogne or The Loire Valley??? (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,

We are currently touring around France and so far we have visited Honfleur, Arramanches, Bayeur and at the moment we are at Mon St Michel. We are having a fantastic time and the weather is superb but we just cannot decide where to head for next. We fancy either the Loire Valley or the Dordogne area and so have decided to ask you funsters for advice and hear what those who have had more experience of France would suggest.

We like pretty quaint villages and towns and prefer locations that are not too overcrowded or too touristy but at the same time somewhere with interesting things to see and do with a chilled out relaxed atmosphere. One couple we have met during our travels around France said they visited somewhere in Dordogne where street entertainers played to the customers and passers by as they sat at pavement cafes and I really loved the sound of that but I cannot recall where they said that was now. They also raved about how pretty the Dordogne is. My husband loves to fish and they also said they found a campsite where you could more or less fish from your awning! I wish I had asked them where it was now as my husband would love to spend a few days on a campsite like that! anyway, the dilemma is (well it's not really a dilemma is it?) we just cannot make our minds up now. We have 2 weeks left of our holiday and we don't mind a full days travelling to get to where we are going, so distance isn't a major issue for us.

So funsters ..... where do you think we should head towards: the Dordogne or the Loire Valley - your guidance will be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Sue

PS Any suggestions on aires, wildcamping spots or campsites in these areas would be very helpful too. :Smile:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We preferred the Dordogne, although we didn't get to spend any time in Bergerac. We also enjoyed the Lot - have a look at the map for some mooching areas around there. Our blog (below) has a couple of maps and some piccies of these two and the Loire - I'll see if I can dig out any more details.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you TDH - I will look forward to reading your blog and hearing any more advice you have to pass on.

Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Simple really ... do both.. the Loire valley is on route to Dordogne ..

personally preferred the Dordonge ..

Follow the river on the D roads from just north of Bordeaux .. absolutely beautiful with plenty of sites and stopping places... also worth a visit, albeit a bit touristy, is the village of Rocamadour .. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rocamadour,+France&sll=45.065762,-0.339203&sspn=0.496613,1.338959&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rocamadour,+Lot,+Midi-Pyr%C3%A9n%C3%A9es,+France&ll=44.798769,1.62838&spn=0.031183,0.083685&t=h&z=14

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh well Jim you beat me on that one!::bigsmile:
Rocamadour is a beautiful place and you can as well see "le rocher des aigles" (eagles rock)just amazing!

Just planning to spend a day there with Wildman as soon as he and Sue get to my place!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dordogne definately but as Jim suggests do a bit of the Loire on the way down. Maybe do a Chateaux and stop a night or two then head for the Dordogne. I would do

Les Eysies
Sarlat
la roque gageac
Domme

These are all wonderful villages near each other and some great Aires then maybe move on to Rocamadour which is unmissible

Not a great picture but will give you an idea

Link Removed

Not far from Rocamadour is The Gouffre De Padirac http://www.gouffre-de-padirac.com/ which if your into caves a grottes etc then this one is the one to do. There are 2km of caves, caverns and rivers to explore some of which you do in an underground boat. Its only 9 Euros as well but the queues in the height of summer can be long apparently. We did it in May and it was quiet and the guide went out of his way to translate everything into English.

Have fun whatever you decide.

vwroamer

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Spain
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Dordogne for sure, in Beynac you could fish within 5 meters of your pitch and farther along the river at Le Bo Bains (campsite name) you could fish out of your window. Every turn in the road a site for sore eyes. maybe a bit crowded this time of year though, we went in June.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you everyone for your very much appreciated replies. We have definitely decided to head for Dordogne with some stops enroute to break the journey up and enjoy a more lesiurely trip down.

Oooh we are so excited! We've woken to gorgeous blue skies and brilliant sunshine and so after a quick visit to the local supermarche for some french bread and wine we will once again hit the french roads.

I will be thinking of you all as we tootle along and by the way, the forecast for the Dordogne is 31 degrees!

Thanks again.

Sue

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You might consider this route from le Mont St. Michel, or something similar to it.
Fougeres
Laval
La Fleche (on LE Loire, a tributary of the big one "La Loire") - great municipal site there
Then cross La Loire at Saumur (wonderful chateau and great sparkling wine - best after Champagne)
Poitiers
Limoges (visit Oradour-sur-Glane - the martyred village to the NW of Limoges) - good aire there.
Brive
Then your are in striking distance of the Dordogne.

Just one thought, although we have not been down there for a few years, but the Doodoyn (to quote Del Boy) and to a lesser extent the Lot used to be heavily infiltrated by Brits in summer. We have found the Loire area to be less "Brit-heavy" if this matters to you.

Whatever you do, I envy you - wish we were there now - enjoy!

Philip

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
france

DELLWOOD 33 ARE SOMEWHERE THERE .LOOK OUT THEY MAY HAVE THERE FUNSTER FLAG FLYING.:BARBARA DICK AND ROSIE .:Smile:ENJOY

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I was going to suggest that you could do both. As far as the Dordogne is concerned, one nice little detour would be to get on to the D703 at Lalinde, head north and turn off at St Meymes towards Millac and then follow the signs down to the valley floor at Tremolat. It's a pretty little place with a small aire behind the Town Hall. (Google map here).

This picture was taken from the road into Tremolat.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I was going to suggest that you could do both. As far as the Dordogne is concerned, one nice little detour would be to get on to the D703 at Lalinde, head north and turn off at St Meymes towards Millac and then follow the signs down to the valley floor at Tremolat. It's a pretty little place with a small aire behind the Town Hall. (Google map here).

This picture was taken from the road into Tremolat.

Skeggysue.......for me and the wife its....... Dordogne :thumb::thumb: it is just a beautiful area

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi Dordogne wins hands down, We found the Loire the most disapointing part of France after all the hype about it. Its a bit further to drive to the Dordogne, but worth every penny. We're trying the Pyrenees this time for somewhere different (to us)
Michael

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Hi Dordogne wins hands down, We found the Loire the most disapointing part of France after all the hype about it. Its a bit further to drive to the Dordogne, but worth every penny. We're trying the Pyrenees this time for somewhere different (to us)
Michael

We loved the Pyrenees. Have a squint at our blog for a few piccies and routes.

T

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
As jeanluc says, head down towards Oradour sur Glane, which everyone should visit once; you can stop off at Parc Verger (have a look at www.parcverger.com for the gallery of photos from around here); fishing is available at three lakes (carp, trout and white fish) near here, and you can bring the catch back for your BBQ.

Wherever you go, enjoy your travels, France is a beautiful country.

Bob and Di

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back