Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
:Confused: Hi,
My van needs two new front tyres and i've found some on the net that seem good value and have the same numbers as the current ones (215 75R 16C) they also have a 114 111, not sure what that is! They have advertised them as Continental Barum tyres, does anyone know anything about them and are they any good?

Cheers.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi my truck takes the same size but a bit higher weight rating .than the 114 /111 . i visited our local hi q tyre shop and paid 58 quid inc vat fitted. yes they arent best quality . but are tigars. i worked for a well known tyre company and cant really see the point in spending twice or three times that amount .unless your van is ran constant all day every day. they should be changed every 5 years to be safe so are you going to do that many miles.
my truck and trailer takes 10 tyres just on the road . with 4 spares (i do go off road)
it would be very expensive to put top quality tyres on . you should be able to get close to the 58 quid for your ,i would fit them. cheers alan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont know how much feed back you will get here on Barum Tyres because Motorhomers seem to like paying £120+ for "proper" camping tyres
Its a Budget tyre used mainly on comercial vehicles, if they are coming to you @ around £60 each fitted
its a good deal:thumb:
ask if they are M&S pattern, if so, maybe a bit noisier than your used too.
Good ride and medium wear characteristics
made to exactly the same BS/Euro standards as your camping tyres
I use would use them on my 4x4 and have on Jags ive owned in the past wiithout hestation
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i certainly have had barum tyres on m,bikes .i havehad several cz jawa m,bikes and have never had a problem with barum. if i remember rightly they were original fitment on bmw at one time.
cheers alan.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
personally I don't worry about how many miles they will do , odds are they will get changed before they are worn out anyway

but performance , things like wet adhesion and braking distances are my criteria

a few years back ADAC did a test using this type of tyre , best performance was continental . worst , with double the wet braking distance , was michelin , which came on my motorhome and , to my mind , are poor ; if the roads are wet , I don't drive except maybe to potter around

as usual , the people who say you get what you pay for are being conned

barum are owned by continental so are a reputable product

if I was going to change today I would have pirelli chrono .....when I actually have to change it may be different , technology moves on fast

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Good in the wet +soft compound fast wear rate:cry:
Poor in the wet =Hard compound last forever:Doh:
Mid range wear and compound best all rounder:thumb:
You cant have both:RollEyes:
Geo

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Good in the wet +soft compound fast wear rate:cry:
Poor in the wet =Hard compound last forever:Doh:
Mid range wear and compound best all rounder:thumb:
You cant have both:RollEyes:

I had a Citroen AX in 1994 that came with Michelins that were low rolling resistance "Energy" types designed to help the car break the MPG records at the time.

On the plus side it constantly did 70+ mpg and the tyres usually lasted well over 100,000 miles (I was doing 40,000+ every year).

On the negative side, the 1.4 non-turbo diesel and gearing to get that MPG meant you could time 0-60 with a sundial and it sounds like it was a good thing I never needed to emergency-brake in the wet! ::bigsmile:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I bought 2 Barums for the front of my last van. 3 years later the walls were absolutely knackered.

Bad buy. Won't buy again. Conti's for me.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just fitted Toyo van tyres on my m/home £60 all in. Can't see the sense in paying £120 for m/home specific tyres. Had Toyo's on my car for a while now and think they are great. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back