Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Have just aquired 2x 100Ah sealed batteries, OK given them through work.
They are a year old but only used as backups so like new.
My leisure battery is under the drivers seat so no chance of putting them there.
Has anyone put 2 in there Bessacarr? if so where did you put them? Please :Smile:

Doddy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your dinette is directly behind either front seat then thats the perfect place for extra batteries..

i have two 110ah behind the driverseat under the dinette.

whereever you find for them make sure the breather tubes are open to air.....through the floor:thumb: as the gas produced is highly explosive/flammable

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It is possible to have a frame made and welded to the chassis and mount the battery/s outside the accommodation, Its a project I have done myself so I know what is involved.

It is not something that that can be done without a lot of thought and design so I don't recommend it someone that does not have a engineering background or is prepared to pay some one to do it for them.

On the other hand once it is done you free up space in the van and you have space for the extra batteries should you want it and I pleased with the results.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
if your dinette is directly behind either front seat then thats the perfect place for extra batteries..

i have two 110ah behind the driverseat under the dinette.

whereever you find for them make sure the breather tubes are open to air.....through the floor:thumb: as the gas produced is highly explosive/flammable

These are sealed units John, so no breather pipe, the RRP are £330 each
so was not going to take them to the Haz Waste Unit:Smile: and they weigh 35 kg each.
Thanks Again Doddy

It is possible to have a frame made and welded to the chassis and mount the battery/s outside the accommodation, Its a project I have done myself so I know what is involved.

It is not something that that can be done without a lot of thought and design so I don't recommend it someone that does not have a engineering background or is prepared to pay some one to do it for them.

On the other hand once it is done you free up space in the van and you have space for the extra batteries should you want it and I pleased with the results.

Doug...

Hi Doug we have a welder in work who loves foriegners on a Sat or Sunday so may
get him to look, trouble is he hates going outside from his welding bay ::bigsmile:

Thanks Again Doddy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
These are sealed units John, so no breather pipe, the RRP are £330 each
so was not going to take them to the Haz Waste Unit:Smile: and they weigh 35 kg each.
Thanks Again Doddy

Hi Doug we have a welder in work who loves foriegners on a Sat or Sunday so may
get him to look, trouble is he hates going outside from his welding bay ::bigsmile:

Thanks Again Doddy

excellent idea of Dougs but dont let your man drill or weld to the chassis if its an Alko jobby...it will rot once the galv is destroyed.
there are plenty of existing holes to bolt to. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
These are sealed units John, so no breather pipe,

ALL lead acid batteries can gas, are you sure about this ! Even if they don't have a tube vent they will still have provision for gassing which might mean a vented compartment.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Doug we have a welder in work who loves foreigners on a Sat or Sunday so may

Thanks Again Doddy

OK, well you will find that the top of the battery/s will be very close to the bottom of the floor base so you have to design the frame so that you can easily drop it to the floor or slide the batteries out, of course if you have sealed batteries the need to do this wont be too often.

Also if it is a alko chassis you may not get the ground clearance, lots of planning and measuring.

Good luck, Doug...

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
John, Brian & Doug really appreciate your help on this, as it
is a fully sealed unit may look at Dougs idea, and yes it is an Alko Brian.

Regards Doddy :thumb:

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
I replicated and improved the original battery tray and fixings and fitted another battery on my 52 based Boxer, I had to relieve a small amount from inside the seat frames to squeeze the new 115 amh batteries in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back