Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We are still looking at all the options for our first MH and need to take into account one large and one small dog in terms of space. We like the look of garage MHs because we also golf and fish. A couple of dealers have told us that dog owners sometimes put a dog crate in the garage. Do people motor with dogs in the garage? I'm wondering about the best and safest place for them to travel. We're thinking of taking a small pop up tent for them to sleep in. At the moment they are used to sleeping in an awning inner tent.
We also want to be able to take the grandkids so need rear seat belts ... no we wouldn't put the grandkids in the garage...:roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We used a custom trailer for a few years, the dog rarely travelled in it, but once on site its a handy kennel for a wet dog. When we got an RV we had much more room for th edog and the trailer is now hardly used and will be up for sale soon. You can set the temperature and the wide wheelbase makes it very comfortable

Link Removed

Link Removed

Ours came from here Link Removed

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I saw a motorhome in France recently where they had adapted their boot to accomodate 3 big dogs.

I didn't "nose" too much but I could see they had fitted a wooden cage inside with its own door. From the outside it just looked like a normal boot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In Germany too, don't know if it still goes on but a few years ago it was quite common for the dogs to travel in a closed boot of a car, they get used to it and just jump in. You would hope that when you see this they are only doing very small journeys as the air can't be good in warm weather:Eeek:

Upvote 0

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
It's quite common for the farmers here to put their collies in the boot but not to do great distances.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Seen lots of dogs in garages, one couple we met had built a kennel that was also accessible from inside the van. It had a wire mesh door and a cooling fan built into the box.

More ideas here for a pet friendly motorhome

http://www.barknride.co.uk/our_motorhomes.html

Upvote 0

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Lulu prefers to travel in her crate in the garage. I don't like it but it's what she prefers.

Last long trip I removed the fixed table and put her crate there so she travelled in the crate inside.

However if I put one crate inside & the other in the garage she always goes to the one in the garage. I've swapped them to make sure that it wasn't a preference for one crate. Then I thought it might be that she didn't like the steps so I lifted her up. She turned & came down the steps & back to the garage.

Now I just accept that she prefers it in the garage and if it's not a long trip that's where she goes. Long trips the crate comes inside.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
please dont think im against putting you pooch in the garage, im not bothered either way, but have any of you thought of this.....

theres only a GRP skin, a sheet of thin plywood and a couple of inches of foam between the dog and the vehicle behind that didnt stop in time. :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Good point PappaJohn. I was thinking it was like a van ... doh :Doh:
Thanks all for the replies. I think we might get seat covers and use proper harnesses so they can ride in style. Just got to find the right model now! :winky:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
please dont think im against putting you pooch in the garage, im not bothered either way, but have any of you thought of this.....

theres only a GRP skin, a sheet of thin plywood and a couple of inches of foam between the dog and the vehicle behind that didnt stop in time. :Eeek:

I guess it really depends what sort of rear bumper you have, a solid metal scooter rack for instance would protect the rear.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I guess it really depends what sort of rear bumper you have, a solid metal scooter rack for instance would protect the rear.

very true roger, but white van man/minibus etc would ride over the bumper/rack and shove the bike through the rear body anyway in an impact.

it may never happen (hopefully) but should be considered.

Upvote 0

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Considered the crash factor and filed it with getting run over crossing the road, being run over by a runaway bus etc.

I'm a fatalist & a pessimist which makes this type of decision very difficult.::bigsmile:

But it will help when watching England v Germany on Sunday:winky:

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Mine always in the van, sleeps where she wants, I have throws on settees and extra rugs on the floor so I am happy and she is . if on site have a long line so that she has freedom to go in van, outside or under in the shade. If I have to leave her for a short time, the vents are open, blinds down, fan on if needed it is quite cool in there do have a thermometer, she is no trouble just goes to sleep, good burglar deterrent.

Margaret

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Margaret ... you should've gone to Specsavers! I think you've posted on he wrong 'dog' thread as this one dates back to 2010!!! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
As you know we travel with our four dogs and Jack and Victor live in the garage on our trips away. In fact they love it so much that when we are at home they often run to the motorhome garage and wait for the door to be opened so they can jump in and sit in there for a while. Our double cage for the car fits in the garage of the motorhome too so we can interchange it as necessary. We have also had a window fitted in one of the garage doors so can have that open for ventilation. In the very hot weather last year the coolest place was the garage as it is very well insulated and kept the heat out.

We used to travel all the dogs in the body of the mh with Victor and Jack being in a cage in the middle of the mh but they seemed very stressed at times with all the rattles and bangs. Also as time went on we had to have two cages as being brothers they sometimes have a scrap with one another and having two cages in the mh gets a bit difficult for moving around. Now when we have them in when we are parked up we muzzle them up so that they can't fight.

Rory and Maeve travel in the cab on their harness and are very happy there. Rather than using the clip on their harness in the seat belt slot we loop the end of the harness around the seat belt anchor and this means that we can use the seat belts for the humans too. I realise this does not sound very clear and will take a photo of the set up in the morning - after being away from home for nine and a half weeks it's our first evening back in our house!

Attached is a photo of the cage in the garage.

Kath

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We take ours to the vets! The garage is only any good at car repairs!::bigsmile:

Ours travel in the lounge immediately behind us. No way would we let a living creature travel in the garage.:Doh:
The risk of being shunted from behind is extremely high compared to the likelihood of having a front end collision. Driving into something is within YOUR control, you cannot defend yourself from being driven into by a careless driver.
We always drive carefully and defensively and have only ever had to perform one emergency stop in 8+ years of motorhoming.
The dogs are safest in the front.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back