May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
I have two Handy Gas bottles in my van but would like to swop for Calor as more
easy to get hold of, I also have two blue bottles from calor that I had for the home,
do any of you guys know if there is any suppliers in South West that would exchange these
for two Calor?
Or know of the cheapest way to buy 2 bottles?

Thanks Doddy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
do any of you guys know if there is any suppliers in South West that would exchange these
for two Calor?

Thanks Doddy

Hi

I'm afraid Calor won't exchange Handy Gas bottles.

Try your local council amenity site ( tip) or a boot sale for empty Calor bottles.. usually sell for about a tenner

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
easy to get hold of, I also have two blue bottles from calor that I had for the home,
for two Calor?

Thanks Doddy

Well if you are about to spend MONEY at least consider Gaslow. Then you have readily available cheap gas all over EU. Use "search+" if you don't know what Gaslow is, it's been done to death many times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,if the two bluebottles you have are calor they will just swap them. try and see every calor place should swap any calor for any calor. you could get an adapter to fill at the garage. off ebay or i can give you a number to ring. cheers alan.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
a friendy calor gas dealer sometimes will swop one type of calor bottle for another , so if you take along the 2 you have unwanted , you might be able to swop for the type you want

what's wrong with using butane in the motorhome anyway , unless you motorhome in the winter it is actually better

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I did the swop from butane to propane, my local calor dealer couldn't have cared less. He says the deposit is the same on all bottles so you should be able to swop any size for a different size and from butane to propane or vice versa.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
for two Calor?

Thanks Doddy

2 calor gas bottles that I HAD for the home jim

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Depends on the place where you exchange. I had a propane bottle with some name on it from Preston, I took a piece of wet and dry to it and removed all traces as it appeared to be only emulsion in a couple of minutes. Dumped it outside the Calor shop in the empty bottle stack, got new calor bottle without a problem:Smile: VMax

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
doddy , what was wrong with your post ?

you said you have 2 calor bottles which WERE for your home ...isn't that correct ?

and what's wrong with them for he motorhome?

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
doddy , what was wrong with your post ?

you said you have 2 calor bottles which WERE for your home ...isn't that correct ?

and what's wrong with them for he motorhome?

::bigsmile: Ah thought you meant I DID have some, to correct myself I also have two
Butane bottles that I had for BarbQ which I may, as mentioned by others may be able
to swop for Propane.

Thanks to all by the way :thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
If you've got the pigtails- regulators for propane then just chop your bottles in for the 2 biggest propanes that fit your locker.

Step 2, visit E Bay for adapter to refill said bottles. ( another advantage of propane ).:Cool:

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
If you've got the pigtails- regulators for propane then just chop your bottles in for the 2 biggest propanes that fit your locker.

Step 2, visit E Bay for adapter to refill said bottles. ( another advantage of propane ).:Cool:

Calor will allow me to swop bottles to red::bigsmile:
OK so if I go ahead with getting a valve to be able to refill at garages same as if the vehicle ran on LPG, then just topped the bottles up instead.
My worry (May be a thick question from a newbie) LPG expands and I would worry about putting 100% in, not allowing for expansion :Eeek: or is this not possible?
Would I need to get another adapter?
I'm sure yourself or Alan (VW) will put me right. Sorry again for maybe asking a daft question.

Doddy :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Calor will allow me to swop bottles to red::bigsmile:
OK so if I go ahead with getting a valve to be able to refill at garages same as if the vehicle ran on LPG, then just topped the bottles up instead.
My worry (May be a thick question from a newbie) LPG expands and I would worry about putting 100% in, not allowing for expansion :Eeek: or is this not possible?
Would I need to get another adapter?
I'm sure yourself or Alan (VW) will put me right. Sorry again for maybe asking a daft question.

Doddy :thumb:

Hi

You must never try to 'top up' , the bottle must be empty before attempting to refill ..

80% is the recommended max and it is possible to overfill if your careless.. which could have dire results.

For ease of calculation , 1 kg of LPG ( propane) = 2 lt

so a 6kg bottle holds 12 lt

The procedure is quite straightforward ..

a) ensure bottle is empty by venting in a safe area, then close the valve. Best done before arriving at the filling station.

b) screw on adapter

c) connect filling gun

d) open bottle valve

e) fill bottle to correct amount by watching the LPG pump gauge. This is not critical, you can either stop early or overfill up to 87 % quite safely.

f) CLOSE THE BOTTLE VALVE ..

g) disconnect filling gun, pay cashier and walk away smiling.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi doddy .follow jim,s instructions .its easy. use 1 bottle then swap to other .fill empty bottle .best way. if you are down here look me up .may get up your way .usually racing past on way somewhere. think you have my number pm me if you havent . thought i had yours but am losing the plot .have fun ,cheers alan.

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
hi doddy .follow jim,s instructions .its easy. use 1 bottle then swap to other .fill empty bottle .best way. if you are down here look me up .may get up your way .usually racing past on way somewhere. think you have my number pm me if you havent . thought i had yours but am losing the plot .have fun ,cheers alan.

Cheers Alan I'm in Fowey area August but probably couple of long weekends before in Cornwall so we'll pop in. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi

You must never try to 'top up' , the bottle must be empty before attempting to refill ..

80% is the recommended max and it is possible to overfill if your careless.. which could have dire results.

For ease of calculation , 1 kg of LPG ( propane) = 2 lt

so a 6kg bottle holds 12 lt

The procedure is quite straightforward ..

a) ensure bottle is empty by venting in a safe area, then close the valve. Best done before arriving at the filling station.

b) screw on adapter

c) connect filling gun

d) open bottle valve

e) fill bottle to correct amount by watching the LPG pump gauge. This is not critical, you can either stop early or overfill up to 87 % quite safely.

f) CLOSE THE BOTTLE VALVE ..

g) disconnect filling gun, pay cashier and walk away smiling.

Hi doddy the only other thing I can add to Jim's post is it helps if the bottle is secured in position as this makes it easier to fasten the lpg gun onto the filler :thumb: but not essential - I usually leave the valve open once I fit the adapter onto the bottle ready to accept lpg straight away :thumb: you will only forget to close the valve after filling once :ROFLMAO:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best not smoke or play with matches when doing it aswell. as if you can .take your time dont rush .
if you do bring an empty we can play at the garage to show you how its done.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
lpg

Yes very easy even I can do it filled 2 Calor Lite Bottles at station no issues the filler thingy I got has a none return valve in it so even if you do forget to close the valve before discon the filler gun it dosnt rush out all over the place but as everyone says take your time and use empty bottles the BP Lite are good as they are semi transparant and you can see the level of gas left inside.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
First time I have logged on for some time so only just seen this. I have 2 x 6Kg Calor propane bottles (One is calorlite) in my garage. I have just got a new Motorhome and had Gaslow fitted so the old Calor bottles no good to me. If you still need 2 bottles and are prepared to collect then I am sure that we can come to a mutually favourable arrangement :winky:

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
First time I have logged on for some time so only just seen this. I have 2 x 6Kg Calor propane bottles (One is calorlite) in my garage. I have just got a new Motorhome and had Gaslow fitted so the old Calor bottles no good to me. If you still need 2 bottles and are prepared to collect then I am sure that we can come to a mutually favourable arrangement :winky:

Where you based?

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if you are going to fill your own bottles why do you need to change them ?

OP
OP
Doddy999

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
if you are going to fill your own bottles why do you need to change them ?

Where have I said I AM I said IF, some kind people are telling me the different options.
Please read my posts fully. are you a the forum psychiatrist :roflmto: thats a few times you have done that. :thumb: see ya

pegasus

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since Nov 2009
Are all petrol stations let you fill up calor gas bottles?

Hi and appologies for jumping in.
I would like to get an adapter, so I can re-fill my calor gas bottles, but in autogas' web page I remember it was mentioned that you are not permited to re-fill gas bottles).
Q1) Are all petrol stations let you fill up calor gas bottles?
Q2) Has any one of you had any problems with a garage not letting you re-fill?
Q3) Are French LPG stations use the same nozzle or would I need a different adapter?
Q4) where do I get the adapter(s)

Thank you

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get them on e bay or pm me ican give you a number. you need diferent connectors but they are all available .some garages will stop you but then didnt want to spend my money there either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back