What is you favourite Aire and why (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Im sure this will have been done before but in light of Jims Aires thread and having raked through all my photos Michelle and I tried to decide which our favourite was. I think for us scenery and the view is the most important rather than accessibility to facilities. Having the scooter helps.

Anyway the one for us that came up tops was the top Aire at Gavarnie in the Pyrenees. We were there in April and the weather was superb so that probably makes a difference. We also had the whole place to ourseleves apart from the odd van now and again. I imagine it is not always like that!

Anyway here it is

Link Removed

Over to you!!!

T

TomTee

Deleted User
My favourite aires are any with properly marked-out emplacements. I've no desire to spend my holidays with a motor home four feet on either side of me!

In Brittany last year we found a superb one on the Crozon peninsular but, arriving in Concarneau, we headed for the aire to find that it was a car park by the railway station and they were crammed in like sardines.

We drove straight out and found a superb family-run site two miles away for 10 euro a night. It had generous pitches, a super view and all the facilities - no contest as far as I'm concerned!

The Crozon aire was at Camaret-sur-Mer, a delightful little port town.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Im sure this will have been done before but in light of Jims Aires thread and having raked through all my photos Michelle and I tried to decide which our favourite was. I think for us scenery and the view is the most important rather than accessibility to facilities. Having the scooter helps.

Anyway the one for us that came up tops was the top Aire at Gavarnie in the Pyrenees. We were there in April and the weather was superb so that probably makes a difference. We also had the whole place to ourseleves apart from the odd van now and again. I imagine it is not always like that!

Anyway here it is

Link Removed

Over to you!!!

Whereabouts in Gavarnie is that? We stayed at the little campsite on the road to the Cirque in 2006 - got to be one of our favourite spots in the world!!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Whereabouts in Gavarnie is that? We stayed at the little campsite on the road to the Cirque in 2006 - got to be one of our favourite spots in the world!!:Smile:

Hi

I agree with you, its simply magical and no photo can do it justice. Its about a mile up the mountain from the villiage on the (only) road that goes up to the ski slopes. Quite a hike to the villiage if you dont have other transport! There are basically two large Aires on either side of the road with quite basic facilities. They charge about 4 euros in the peak season but there was hardly anyone about in April so we had it for free and to ourselves. There was a full moon one night and the moon was so bright I could hardly stare at it. Most of the vans were parked in the car park / Aire in the villiage, not sure if they were supposed to be there but obviously they wanted to be nearer to the shops, bars etc.

I also agree with the previous poster, I wont stay on an Aire where they are crammed in. These tend to be coastal Aires mainly, there are some lovely ones to be had inland if you look which are much less crowded, usually free and far more pleasant. The Aire at Biarritz for example people rave about but it was the worst one I have ever stayed on. Noisy, expensive (10 Euros) and cramped.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
One of the best inland aires we stayed on was at Broglie right next to the river. the town was only small but some lovely walks by the river. This aire was set out like a mini campsite with individual hard standing with grass area surrounding. The gate was closed overnight so very safe and all for 5 euros

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Honfleur is getting that way too - we've watched it get more and more crowded even out of holiday times. They're charging €9 now too and you can't always get hook-up.

St Valery sur Somme is nice - we were there last August and although busy they were quite large pitches, I think it was about €7

Bergerac is nice too but vans are a bit close and anything over 7 metres just won't get a place!

Montreuil- Bellay is gorgeous! Free and spacious and next to a river and a chateau!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Enjoyed this one as very quiet and a few K off the A71 S of Orleans

Attachments

• Le Fetre Buanais.jpg
    Le Fetre Buanais.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 156

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have stayed at a few one we really liked was the first one we ever used it was at Mallbussion (spelling) right on the lake with great views and nice wee beach which after 5 oclock was really quiet had picnic tables and table tennis Pizza van came and made pizza fresh to order so tasty then at 8am around came the bakers van with hot fresh bread. There was a few vans in but not cramped.

Another one we stayed at was in Autun more for the position than anything, right next to a lake with a cycle path al the way round also next to local swimming pool. 10 min walk to a lovely town centre just had a good feeling about it.

Gerry

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
WE like chateau Gontier lovely by the river in the town...tried to put a photo on but it did`nt work .....

Val

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Good topiic Barry:thumb:

There are numerous great aires and hard to pick just one...

We heard this was 'the best aire in France' before we got there and were pretty sceptical based on the photos we'd seen. Those who like space between vans would definitely not agree.

But it is in the true spirit of aires. Its a stunning harbour location and minutes walk away from a lovely town, markets and beaches. 3.40 Euro per night - shocking for such a location :RollEyes:

The close proximity of other vans means there is a great atmosphere amongst the motorhomers there - we shared oysters with our German neighbours one evening.

Anyway.....

St Valery en Caux

20090816-_MG_4397.jpg

The town

20090816-_MG_4399.jpg

The sunset

_mg_4381-1-1.jpg

Takes some beating ::bigsmile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

Bouchemaine and Lac Du Vassiviere. Photos submitted and hopefully in the new French Aires gallery soon.

Jack

May 22, 2008
Funster No
St Valery en Caux as previously posted looks great but I thought there was a 3.5 tonne weight limit there, but judging by the size of some of the vans there I got that wrong or perhaps the rule isi gnored, anyway that is one I intend to find as it looks great.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
The best We've stayed at is Ouzouer-sur-Trezee on the Briare canal. It has free electricity and free hot showers and toilets in a clean block (the building to the right of the MHs in the photo).
We visited in June and there was one other van there - don't know what it is like in August though.

Link Removed

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Great phots Neil as always. We visited the Aire at St Valery en Caux last August just for a look. There was a bloke down the road turning vans away as it was packed. Great location but too busy. The All (some of) The Aires book describes it as possibly the nicest Aire in France. But here is the thing. What some think is a really great Aire others might not. I personally would rather have a crap view and loads of space than be packed in like sardines. At Honfleur in May the Aire was busy and 9 Euros but 2 miles up the road in a small village there was a free aire that was practically empty and very nice.

The book has a few aires highlighted in a different colour which are so called "Really nice" aires. We have visited a few of these and yes some of them are nice but some are flipping horrid IMO.

My priorities do not rank location at the top as I would rather have a small drive on the scooter and some space, piece and quiet and perhaps a free stopover spending some money in the local and less touristy shops. I think its a British thing, having your own space as others in the EU dont seem that bothered. I like a good chinwag and maybe a beer with my fellow campers but I dont really want to bang my door on their van when I get out or hear them snoring or worse!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks everyone for relpying and keep them coming as its all getting noted for the next trip should I be lucky enough to have one!

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Our favourite aires....

Bouchmaine..a great one if you like space between your van and next door..it's an former municipal.. hook ups.. showers the lot.. 10 euros a night right on the Loire river..Why?..The view

Mer sur Cher...
Smashing little aire with marked out pitches 6 or 7 in all if I remember rightly but only 5 hook ups!! 5.50 a night.Why..Nice and cosy

Forge les Eaux...
Belting aire about 60 Ks North of Rouen room for at least 50 vans bags of room opposite a campsite but a lot cheaper 5.60 a night collected by the camp site owners...Why ..Lovely little town

St Jean de Monts
Smack on the beach.. facing West it's just an overnight parking place really but it's always full no.. real services other than parking but it's free and the police do patrol it..If you like to photo sunsets (Niel Mac) this is the place to do it..Why..The best view ever!!

Unfortunately most of my photos are on my other lap top and it's a bit bust!! once I get it sorted will post pix of all the aires we've visited

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Good topiic Barry:thumb:

There are numerous great aires and hard to pick just one...

We heard this was 'the best aire in France' before we got there and were pretty sceptical based on the photos we'd seen. Those who like space between vans would definitely not agree.

But it is in the true spirit of aires. Its a stunning harbour location and minutes walk away from a lovely town, markets and beaches. 3.40 Euro per night - shocking for such a location :RollEyes:

The close proximity of other vans means there is a great atmosphere amongst the motorhomers there - we shared oysters with our German neighbours one evening.

Anyway.....

St Valery en Caux

20090816-_MG_4397.jpg

That's where I fell and tore a tendon in my shoulder 6 weeks ago!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

The road from the town to the aire is very narrow - wouldn't like to meet another motorhome coming the other way!!! Rocks on one side and drop into the harbour on the other!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

We didn't stay the night just called in to have a look on our way to Calais and free overnight parking at Franglais wine warehouse!

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Great phots Neil as always. We visited the Aire at St Valery en Caux last August just for a look. There was a bloke down the road turning vans away as it was packed. Great location but too busy. The All (some of) The Aires book describes it as possibly the nicest Aire in France. But here is the thing. What some think is a really great Aire others might not. I personally would rather have a crap view and loads of space than be packed in like sardines. At Honfleur in May the Aire was busy and 9 Euros but 2 miles up the road in a small village there was a free aire that was practically empty and very nice.

The book has a few aires highlighted in a different colour which are so called "Really nice" aires. We have visited a few of these and yes some of them are nice but some are flipping horrid IMO.

My priorities do not rank location at the top as I would rather have a small drive on the scooter and some space, piece and quiet and perhaps a free stopover spending some money in the local and less touristy shops. I think its a British thing, having your own space as others in the EU dont seem that bothered. I like a good chinwag and maybe a beer with my fellow campers but I dont really want to bang my door on their van when I get out or hear them snoring or worse!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks everyone for relpying and keep them coming as its all getting noted for the next trip should I be lucky enough to have one!

Barryd
I don't suppose you can remember the name of the village 2mls from Honfleur as we will be going that way next month, As we have already seen the aire there we'd rather go for a smaller aire.

DRS

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Barryd
I don't suppose you can remember the name of the village 2mls from Honfleur as we will be going that way next month, As we have already seen the aire there we'd rather go for a smaller aire.

DRS

Yep. Its La Riviere St Sauveur. Here is the link. Its in a quiet village but there is a little traffic noise from the motorway peage flyover about half a mile away but not too bad.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=870&Localité=LA RIVIERE SAINT SAUVEUR

Latitude ( North ) Decimal 49.40856 ° or 49 ° 24 ' 30,816 ''
Longitude ( East) Decimal 000.26926 ° or 000 ° 16 ' 9336 ''

Its a short flat cycle ride to Honfleur or a bit of a hike on foot, not sure if there is any buses as we used the scooter. Use google Translate to translate the French. The photo looks like its near a busy road but it isnt.

EDIT: I just remembered, there was something wierd about the services. I couldnt work out if you had to buy a 5 euro token for electric (on the service point) and water or if you could buy them seperately for water or electric. As it happens we didnt need either but its free to spend the night.

Last edited:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
We made our 'newbie' trip to Normandy/Brittany last week, so only got to stay at 3 Aires.

Honfleur - was really busy. Loved the town, but very expensive to eat & drink out. Stayed there for our first night, and also our last. Tough to find a parking spot so we ended up right by the water in a great spot.

Link Removed

Plouha - (on the recommendation of ScotJimLand) and we loved it. As soon as I walked back down to the beach, the sun came out!

Link Removed

Mont St Michael - again very expensive doing the museums / eating / drinking etc. but it had to be done.

View of the Aire from the Mont

Link Removed

The Mont from the van

Link Removed

A couple of sunset shots

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Can't wait to get back!

Paul

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We made our 'newbie' trip to Normandy/Brittany last week, so only got to stay at 3 Aires.

Honfleur - was really busy. Loved the town, but very expensive to eat & drink out. Stayed there for our first night, and also our last. Tough to find a parking spot so we ended up right by the water in a great spot.

Can't wait to get back!

Paul

Whoa! Photos to rival Neils!! Thanks for sharing those they are brilliant. Honfleur is lovely buy I know what you mean about the food. We ate at one of the harbour side restaurants and my steak was so bad I sent it back. I think its the same the world over. The tourist spots are always hit miss. Im afraid becuase of this I would rather spend £30 in a French Market and go and have a fantastic picnic!

Do you know that the Aire at Mont St Michel is soon to be flooded as is the car park and the whole place turned back into an island?

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Do you know that the Aire at Mont St Michel is soon to be flooded as is the car park and the whole place turned back into an island?

There is always the other aire - opposite the campsite at the crossroads - it's about €7.90 a night and has nice pitches and everything except a shower block! :thumb::thumb:
We've stayed there twice now - August and October - never full and very peacefull.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
There is always the other aire - opposite the campsite at the crossroads - it's about €7.90 a night and has nice pitches and everything except a shower block! :thumb::thumb:
We've stayed there twice now - August and October - never full and very peacefull.

We seem to visit many of the same places! We have stayed there twice now. I think its the one where you get the key code from the Hotel Verte over the road next to the campsite.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=3024&Localité=ARDEVON Le Mont Saint Michel

Lovely little place and great value when you consider where it is. The local supermarket is really pricey though so if your going to Mont St Michel find a Super U on the way first. I dont mind shopping locally to support the local economy normally but its very expensive there. I suspect it will become very busy once the other Aire is closed.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We seem to visit many of the same places! We have stayed there twice now. I think its the one where you get the key code from the Hotel Verte over the road next to the campsite.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=3024&Localité=ARDEVON Le Mont Saint Michel

Lovely little place and great value when you consider where it is. The local supermarket is really pricey though so if your going to Mont St Michel find a Super U on the way first. I dont mind shopping locally to support the local economy normally but its very expensive there. I suspect it will become very busy once the other Aire is closed.

Yes that's the one! Lovely view of the Mont in the distance - if you choose your pitch carefully!:Smile:

The whole place is expensive but sometimes these things have to be done!:roflmto:

We went up the Mont in October - got some great photos in the rain! anyone can take photos of it in the sunshine!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Talking about Mont St Michael, has anyone ever seen lorries/vans etc. delivering to the site? I just wondered how all the hotels, businesses etc. get their supplies. We were there for 2 days and never saw one delivery. Must be a secret entrance somewhere! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
There is a way of getting vehicles around the outside of the Mont, if you ever ventured down to the left hand side ramparts at the end there are vehicles parked there. Now there is an old service lift and I am sure Mrs D said there is a modern one still in use but Ill have to ask her. Same thing in Rocamadour if you have ever been there in the Dordogne / Lot area. Village built into a cliff, must be a nightmare getting services there. If you like the Mont you will love Rocamadour. There is an aire which I think is free but has no facilities but however there is also a cracking little site with spacious pitches, wifi and when we were there in April and May It was E8.50 or E11.60 with EHU. Pretty good value for such a famous place.

Sorry about the naff photo

Link Removed

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Oh and while we are talking about our fav aires, here is a reminder of just how mad some can get.

This was the Aire at Erquy in Brittany in August last summer. We never stayed but had a whiz round it on the bike. Some vans were parked about a foot apart! IT looked like a happy atmosphere though. If you want to be next to the beach though then dont expect to be on your own. There are however some really good wild spots in Brittany if you look hard enough with fab views and a little less crowded. The French must be pretty tolerant though. Would you fancy having one of those houses right next to such a packed Aire?

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On a G string.

Why ? Well it's good innit.