Using Tesco points for ferries --- price difference (1 Viewer)

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Hi all

There was a recent link about going to Ireland mentioned using Tesco points for the ferry. i.e. four for one deals.

Good idea, I did last year. But I found that when I mentioned that I was using Tesco points, the price went up. I tried it at a few different offices and ferries and got the same reaction. So had to bite on it and still go for it. Complained to Tesco PR, but no satisfaction, not even a reply. Deal still o.k., but not as good as it initially looked to be.

Anyone experienced the same ?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I used Tecso vouchers to pay for our trip to Ireland and it cost £314. I paid the extra £4 as I had £310 vouchers worth but when advertising these trips they say only £69 for a trip to Irealnd with your car but when I tried to get that price on the web site it came up with a lot more as I said earlier, perhaps that s why it cost more BECAUSE I was using tesco vouchers???

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I have no experience of the Irish ferries but this certainly doesn't happen when booking Eurotunnel. I've just booked a £150 journey using £37.50 worth of Tesco vouchers. The price using the vouchers was the same as if we'd booked normally.

It's a brilliant deal! A £150 ferry journey for nothing because we buy some groceries and petrol!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we us tesco points on the Stena Harwich / Hook of Holland crossing been a few times now and never been charged more, we always look at the crossings and decide before we get the vouchers and book it. We like the morning crossing and book club class seats and dinner or evening meal on the vouchers, with the seats you get 3 hrs x 2 free wifi but you will need a 2 pin adaptor.::bigsmile: Bob.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used Tecso vouchers to pay for our trip to Ireland and it cost £314. I paid the extra £4 as I had £310 vouchers worth but when advertising these trips they say only £69 for a trip to Irealnd with your car but when I tried to get that price on the web site it came up with a lot more as I said earlier, perhaps that s why it cost more BECAUSE I was using tesco vouchers???

A simple marketing ploy !!!!

that fare will be for the most unsociable sailing, time wise, at the absolute off season period and for a 4mtr family hatchback with driver only for a oneway sailing.
start picking a more seasonal sailing and adding more bodies in a 6/7mtr motorhome with return trip and the price will rocket.

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
I have no experience of the Irish ferries but this certainly doesn't happen when booking Eurotunnel. I've just booked a £150 journey using £37.50 worth of Tesco vouchers. The price using the vouchers was the same as if we'd booked normally.

It's a brilliant deal! A £150 ferry journey for nothing because we buy some groceries and petrol!
Yep us too..£160 journey on Euro tunnel only cost us £40 of Tesco vouchers in April

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've had some great deals from Tesco points including ferry crossings, days out with the grandkids to theme parks, hotels, meals .... I've never been charged extra for using the vouchers.
There's something really great about feeling you get something of real value for nothing other than buying diesel and groceries. It does make me wonder though whether we eat too much! :RollEyes:

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We have never paid extra for useing tesco vouchers.I go to online booking then get day I want to travel and cost ,phone euro tunnel make sure it is free that day ,put voucher numbers into tesco on pc ,within a couple of days tokens arrive phone Euro and they hold booking for few days till vouchers arrive, send them off recorded delivery with booking form.No problems at all Paid for four journeys now to france around £35 in vouchers £140.The price on the internet booking is the price I pay.

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010

Yep us too..£160 journey on Euro tunnel only cost us £40 of Tesco vouchers in April

Can you explain a bit more, was it £37.50 & £40 with the vouchers or without?

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Can you explain a bit more, was it £37.50 & £40 with the vouchers or without?

I originally thought that we'd sent £40 of vouchers but my wife has convinced me that we only sent £37.50!

The Tunnel cost was £150 return and you get four times the value of the vouchers when you apply to Eurotunnel. We didn't actually send any money at all, not a penny.

The journey is effectively free, although it's fair to say that I really cost us £40 because I could have used the vouchers in Tesco to get £40 off our weekly shop.

Hope that's clear!

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Cheers Tom so its 4 x the voucher price ::bigsmile: sounds good, the wife usually keeps
them till Xmas for a spend, so will be putting a stop to that :ROFLMAO:

Madmaggott

Free Member
Jun 19, 2010
Fishguard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 Year
Eurotunnel using Tesco vouchers is a real bargain. You have to pay cash for the extra cost if you're taking a dog though.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back