caravan club.. no shows (1 Viewer)

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi just recieved a reply from caravan club about no shows to the letter i sent..

here..

I acknowledge receipt of your recent e-mail via the Enquiry Service.

I note your comments regarding members who abused the system by making bookings and failing to turn up and, quite understandably, you wish to see some action taken. Please bear in mind, however, that there have been instances sadly of the death of a partner which has resulted in members not taking up their pitch. In these circumstances, clearly the alst thing on the member’s mind would have been to cancel their site booking and, of course, it would be totally inappropriate for The Club to knonowingly cause distress by penalising these people for cancellation.

Clearly the majority of members are like-minded and have the courtesy to cancel bookings thereby freeing up a pitch for their fellow members. However, you can be encouraged by the fact that The Club will now be endeavouring to monitor regular abusers and take the appropriate action. As you will have seen from The Club Magazine, several of these members have been written to and their membership suspended pending confirmation that they will cease this abuse. This checking process will continue on a regular basis.

It is sad, therefore, that a small minority of members choose to abuse what is arguably a much more open booking process. You may be interested to note that site bookings by the end of December 2006 were up 80% essentially meaning that we were fulfilling more members’ requirements.

[SIZE=+0]If I can be of any further help or assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

[/SIZE]

ray

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Did you ask about double booking. ie A destination for good weather or bad even if one is cancelled at the last minute.

Motorhomer

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Well done for asking the question Ray, not sure what question you asked though as the reply is the usual CC smoke and mirrors type answer.
If this really was caused by a minority and some of them down to members dying, why are the wardens so ticked off by it? If so many members are dying throughout the year then maybe the sites will be less full in future? As the previous poster has commented about the double booking, why have they not addressed that, or even referred to it in their answer to you? It is good news that they are going to suspend membership for abusing the system, however in my opinion it is the system that is failing because it allows this activity in the first place.
This is the same type of reply that I got when I asked about RV parking on their sites, absolute politic.....
If, when a member books, that member states that they have a large vehicle (not just an ARV), they are told whether the site can accept a vehicle of that size and as most CC sites do not have a wealth of pitches able to accommodate large vehicles, they should , again in my opinion, reserve the large pitch for that member. If it requires a deposit to be paid, then fair enough, but there is nothing worse than booking onto a site, drive for ages only to be told that there are no suitable pitches for your size of motorhome, because the large pitch has been taken by a member who was fortunate enough to arrive before you...... This has happened to us at Warwick when the pitch we thought we had reserved was occupied by "a large caravan", all of 16 feet long. He was on the only pitch that could accept a 30 foot RV and as a consequence we had to park on the car park. WHY? Because their rules state that pitch reservations are not allowed, and that each member has an opportunity to chose whichever pitch is available at the time they arrive. This is clearly not fair to members with larger outfits as a small caravan has "access" to 100% of the pitches whilst a 30+ foot RV probably ONLY has the choice of 1 or 2 pitches to begin with.
Now if you put this problem with the fact that the sites get booked up in January??? it means that members who have paid their subs as well, but who own a slightly larger than average vehicle, have nowhere to go within the CC network for the weekend. We have had refusals at many CC sites if we call during the week that we wish to stay because they are fully booked, and sometimes we have been rejected because we have an RV and they have no large pitches. Is this typical? Do other members of the CC have this problem?
In my opinion, it is high time that the CC started to listen to the people that pay to make that club what it is and start to provide a suitable and fair booking in system, one that stops the prebookers from dominating the system and not turning up, whilst at the same time allowing reservation for larger motorhomes to reserve their pitch so they know that when they arrive they can be DEFINITELY accommodated on the site that they have booked.
Rant over.............................. This is something that has always wound me up, privately owned sites manage without problem so why can the CC not achieve it? It is, after all, such a simple thing to do and they certainly have the experience and manpower to achieve it, therefore I can only assume that it is that they do not have the will to do it.
Happy camping :thumb:

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Chairman

:ROFLMAO:Was there not something a while ago in one of the magazines, (probably mmm) where it was stated that the Chairman of the Caravan Club said something detrimental about motorhomes????
In other words, they do not want us!!!:ROFLMAO:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Graham
Not sure if it was the Chairman who said it, but I am aware of a couple of site Gruppenfuhrers that have reportedly made the comments. Maybe they forget who EXACTLY pays their salary :Doh:
I think that the CC are fast becoming a club for Caravan owners ONLY and we certainly thought long and hard before we renewed our membership this year, hopefully there will be a viable alternative available for next year. If there is then guess what? We will be voting with our feet (and our money) and we shall join a more motorhome friendly club, that does not look down its nose at motorhomers.
It is only when their revenues are affected that they MAY look for the reasons why and do something about it, until then we (CC Members) are left to the mercy of the "club" officers to decide if we are worthy of belonging to their club.
Given a choice we will not be renewing our membership with them, and I will be actively searching for an alternative this year and if 50,000 other motorhome owners decide to do the same thing than they will be 1.5 Million pounds worse off for their trouble. This is the only vote that you realistically have in the club and we will be exercising it, I just wonder how many others feel the same way?
In this instance I am certain that it is only a minority of Wardens and Officers who are prejudiced against motorhomes and they are going to spoil it for the rest, most of the wardens that we have met and spoken to are very helpful and friendly, some even stretching the rules to "reserve" a pitch for us, and coincidentally they are also the same ones that have so much to say about the failings of the booking system, because at the end of the day, it is they who have to deal with tired and disgruntled members when they turn up and find no available pitches.
I would welcome any advice from others who can suggest a viable alternative to the CARAVAN Club for us to join next year.
Thanks

Keith

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Keith

I totally agree with all that you have said and i think you have made a very good point below. But taking the point you made then why does anyone bother to pay £30+ when you can find (and quiet often have to) a more orgainised and suitable situation e.g. campsite within the private sector, and hopefully if the campsite database on hear gets a lot of support there will be even less need to join one of the clubs

This is something that has always wound me up, privately owned sites manage without problem so why can the CC not achieve it? It is, after all, such a simple thing to do and they certainly have the experience and manpower to achieve it, therefore I can only assume that it is that they do not have the will to do it.
Happy camping :thumb:

Keith

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
I read it somewhere

Hi Keith.
It or something very similar was said and the magazine that printed it was advising motorhomers to vote with their feet as it was stated something to the effect that if someone in such a high position had said such a thing, we were been treated as second class citizens.:Eeek:
It may have been A frame related or trailer related regarding extra charges for these, while a tugger will not pay for the car.:whatthe:
I definitely read something about it somewhere!!:Eeek:

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,
Until the database on hear gets more entries i would suggest that you could use

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

It does show some of the CC and C&CC club sites but it also has hundreds of privately owned sites listed with comments etc from actual users, I find it very very helpful and it dosen't cost you a penny ? and as for the ?? discounts that the CC and C&CC clubs offer on insurance, breakdown cover, ferries etc etc i personnally have always been able to beat or at least match their offers and lets be fair I'm £30+ in front before i start looking

Just my opinion

I would welcome any advice from others who can suggest a viable alternative to the CARAVAN Club for us to join next year.
Thanks
Keith

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi,
Until the database on hear gets more entries i would suggest that you could use

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/

It does show some of the CC and C&CC club sites but it also has hundreds of privately owned sites listed with comments etc from actual users, I find it very very helpful and it dosen't cost you a penny ? and as for the ?? discounts that the CC and C&CC clubs offer on insurance, breakdown cover, ferries etc etc i personnally have always been able to beat or at least match their offers and lets be fair I'm £30+ in front before i start looking

Just my opinion

Brian,

I've been a member of the CC since the year dot and agree about the club being caravan orientated it always was and I think It always will be.:Angry:

In the early 80's I worked for the club doing touchstone walking holidays, on one site the warden was most upset that I had a motorhome as the walk leaders pitch was in a prime position. :thumb:

We use Club sites a couple of times each year when I visit an aged parent. We don't use privates very often as we don't tour that much in the UK. :Smile:

The main reason I stay with them is the discount on P&O North Sea Ferries. :thumb:

£50 so far this year and another £50 or so when I book our winter trip in December. So I'm up £70, I've tried most of the discount sites but they can't match them. :thumb:

Don

PS it was Bob Black the chairman who made the comments about motorhomers and free camping.

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Don

I accept that, that is the case with the ferry crossing you are using ? but they CC or C&CC have never beaten any trip I have had with Seafrance Dover-Calais in late 2006 and 2007 or Norfolkline Dover - Dunkirk in early 2006, or for my motorhome insurance which includes breakdown cover, so I supose you pays your money and takes your chance ??

I would just rather not pay my money i would rather take the chance LoL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brian,

The main reason I stay with them is the discount on P&O North Sea Ferries. :thumb:

£50 so far this year and another £50 or so when I book our winter trip in December. So I'm up £70, I've tried most of the discount sites but they can't match them. :thumb:

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I have just come back from Southport Caravan Club site where I spent Wednesday until this morning. I wanted to stay Friday as well but the site was shown as fully booked as from Friday. On the morning of leaving I learned from speaking to people that two other Van owners had walked into the office on the Friday morning and booked an additional day ie. Friday, very annoyed:Angry:. Two other points,
1. The site was reasonably full for our two days and I would estimate that 75% there were Motorhomes.
2. Caravan Club sites should only be open to Caravan Club Members.

R

Ralph

Deleted User
Hi, Keith

hopefully if the campsite database on hear gets a lot of support there will be even less need to join one of the clubs

I didn't even know we had a campsite database.
I just go straight to "new posts" so I hadn't seen it. Perhaps we need to have more forum discussions about this sort of thing as I'm sure we can all contribute.

R

Ralph

Deleted User
I accept that, that is the case with the ferry crossing you are using ? but they CC or C&CC have never beaten any trip I have had with Seafrance Dover-Calais in late 2006 and 2007 or Norfolkline Dover - Dunkirk in early 2006,

My experience too. However the C&CC promised to beat any price by 5% so I tried to ring them to book. I went straight into a queue and I was paying for the call. As the SeaFrance cost was down to £95 return anyway I didn't hang about for the sake of 5% :Doh:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Keith

I totally agree with all that you have said and i think you have made a very good point below. But taking the point you made then why does anyone bother to pay £30+ when you can find (and quiet often have to) a more orgainised and suitable situation e.g. campsite within the private sector, and hopefully if the campsite database on hear gets a lot of support there will be even less need to join one of the clubs

One of the main reasons I like CC & C&CC sites, is that you know you will not be crammed in, and the Shower facilities will be clean. Unfortunately some of the Private Sites advertisements lead you to believe that you are going to a dream campsite with top facilities, only to find because you have a Motorhome you can be stuffed into a small corner between two caravans just because they want your money, and don't give a damn. ( Many sites do not fall in this category, but you don't know when you book ) I quote Reveille being played by Campers at our Bosworth Rally at 8.15 on a Sunday morning ( That would'nt happen on a Club site ).
If CC charged a 10% deposit when booking there would be less all year bookings made in January, plus less failures to turn up.

R

Ralph

Deleted User
If CC charged a 10% deposit when booking there would be less all year bookings made in January, plus less failures to turn up.

In most instances the CC is better organised than C&CC except this one. C&CC charge a deposit of £25. I believe if you need to cancel you can hold the deposit against another booking but you can't have it back. Seems fair to me.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
One of the main reasons I like CC & C&CC sites, is that you know you will not be crammed in, and the Shower facilities will be clean. Unfortunately some of the Private Sites advertisements lead you to believe that you are going to a dream campsite with top facilities, only to find because you have a Motorhome you can be stuffed into a small corner between two caravans just because they want your money, and don't give a damn. ( Many sites do not fall in this category, but you don't know when you book ) I quote Reveille being played by Campers at our Bosworth Rally at 8.15 on a Sunday morning ( That would'nt happen on a Club site ).

Absolutely agree at least with either CC or C&CC you know what to expect, a lot of the private sites we've stayed on leave a lot to be desired. Henley on Thames was a prime example I booked up months in advance and specifially asked for a pitch for a 35ft RV you could'nt have fitted a 28ft on the pitch allocated so we ended up stuck in a corner cross ways. And not many private sites I've been on can hold a candle to CC toilet and shower facilities.
Just a shame some of the wardens are so petty, mind you again in my experience it is the minority as most are very helpfull.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back