Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi in the summer we (my wife, two children and myself) plan to go to Crotia.
This will be our longest trip so far in our motorhome.

Can anybody suggest some really good places to stay in the north of Crotia near a really good beach?
On the way there we might stop off in Venice, can anyone suggest a good place to stay for a few nights?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bunny

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well last August we did go to Crotia and stopped off at Fussen in Austria where we went and visited King Ludwig's castle (Chitty, Chitty , Bang ,Bang Castle- my boys words not mine).
Crotia was amazing, so amazing that we are going back this year. On the way back we went to Venice which was fantastic.

We managed to avoid most toll roads on the way down. We did however need to buy a Go Box in Austria due to the weight of our motorhome. On the way back we went through Italy which was slower but cheaper.

gwilliam

Free Member
Jun 19, 2010
Funster No
Going to Croatia with GB Privilege this September, went to Bavaria with them last year and had a wonderful time, no worries, no pre booking just follow my leader to the next campsite and there were tours, visits and meals out included. Making our own way back and intend heading for Koblenz and up the Mosel valley to make it a 25 day trip. Highly recommended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
Well last August we did go to Crotia and stopped off at Fussen in Austria where we went and visited King Ludwig's castle (Chitty, Chitty , Bang ,Bang Castle- my boys words not mine).
Crotia was amazing, so amazing that we are going back this year. On the way back we went to Venice which was fantastic.

We managed to avoid most toll roads on the way down. We did however need to buy a Go Box in Austria due to the weight of our motorhome. On the way back we went through Italy which was slower but cheaper.

we are going to croatia this year setting off 23rd july and for around 4 weeks, going down through italy, garda venice then to croatia going back up to slovenia then leogang austria, munich then up 2 disney, really looking forward to it now, 5 weeks to go and counting

walmic

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
bridlington
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
going to croatia

Hi there!

we have been to croatia for the last 2 years, may and june!

with a family we can recommend;

venice area--"vella bleu"--- in the "camping cheques" book, on the peninsular opposite venice. lovely family site, wonderful beach, and only 10 minutes by bus to the ferry for venice terminal.

northern croatia-- again using camping cheques -- camp olive at rabac is a good start point-- good site set in a lovely bay, with a lovely village to walk to within 5 minutes. the old town of rabac is at the top of a hill, 5 minutes on the bus or scooter--it has a very good aldi supermarket.

from here we can suggest going up the istrian coast to rovinj--camping amarin is great for families--water taxi bus into rovinj.

keep away from the VERY large and busy sites round / near pula.

we have travelled right down the adriatic highway to dubrovnik and montenegro--a long way with a family, best for your first trip to stay in the northern part--called istria.

tip!!! beware going round trieste! your sat nav will probably take you to the border with italy and slovenia and then stop. you DO NOT need to pay the slovenian tolls if you do a quick entry and exit from slovenia using the non motorway road to croatia.

try to have an empty fuel tank as fuel in both slovenia and croatia is very cheap compared to italy!!

have a good time-- contact me if you need more advice!

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Just back from Rovinj in Istrea Croatia, could have been St Tropez without the Super Yachts, very pretty and scenic, Croatia not known for Sandy Beaches in this area. stayed at Camping Valdisio, clean and near town. Stayed at Ca Savio for Venice bus ride to Ferry about 5mins then 35min Ferry to near St Marks Square around 16e for 12 Hour unlimited bus/boat ticket.
Motorway shown to Koper to Pula does not exist as such in process of being built looks as if it could take a long time, toll is only 20 Kuno taken as a one off charge at a toll booth at northern end. We saw only one fuel station on motorway as far as Rovinj. We went in on a Saturday and there was a very very long queue coming out through Check-Points.
Be a little wary of the route around Trieste avoiding Vignette some of the road is new and may not be on everyones Sat Nav we did`nt notice any vignette checks here. There are three toll booths to pass through en route back via Slovenian Motorway to Austria with vignette you just pass through approriate lane.
We were checked for our vignette in Austria by being pulled off motorway and through rest area.

OP
OP
Bunny

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are going to stay near Rovinj and have a camp site with a partially sandy beach. Croatia was great for our children and it was very cheap in comparison to the Euro zone.
We also plan to stop off at Disney on the way back. I plan to buy a Fantasy ticket for approx £120 each. This provides free entry for the year and free parking at Disney Land. ::bigsmile:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
We are going to stay near Rovinj and have a camp site with a partially sandy beach. Croatia was great for our children and it was very cheap in comparison to the Euro zone.
We also plan to stop off at Disney on the way back. I plan to buy a Fantasy ticket for approx £120 each. This provides free entry for the year and free parking at Disney Land. ::bigsmile:

we are going to stay Link Removed and we are also getting the annual pass because we plan to go back at new year, what dates are you going? a friend and also member on here is joining us (smith123)

mejsefajn

Free Member
Jun 20, 2010
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

If you intend to come from north side, I would recomend you to stay for a night in Bohinj - Slovenija. Beautiful lake with clear water. and make a short trip near river Soča. Extremly good place for rafting. You will never forget this experience.

And when you will be in Istra take a time to visit Brioni isle. That is fantastic and Plitvice. Now is a lot of rain and when is a lot of water than you can really enjoj.

OP
OP
Bunny

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we are going to stay Link Removed and we are also getting the annual pass because we plan to go back at new year, what dates are you going? a friend and also member on here is joining us (smith123)

Hi we are going from the 25th of July until the 15th of August. We are staying here Link Removed

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
Hi we are going from the 25th of July until the 15th of August. We are staying here Link Removed

no campsite came up, can i just ask i see on your profile pic your van has a camos on, did it work all the way down last year? we didnt have ours on last year so we are unsure if it works in croatia,
keep an eye out for 2 vans mine an 08 roller team and it has a cyclejunkies sticker on the back and col has an 06 chausson welcome 28 and he has a saint helens sticker (i think) in the back window, and pop round for a drink if you see us:thumb:

OP
OP
Bunny

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi will do! I have not used the CAMOS in Croatia but we did use a 40cm manual dish last year that gave us (after lots of fine tuning) a really good signal.
Fingers crossed that the Camos will work (and it should ).
Four weeks to go and counting!!!!!

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I did`nt get the impression it was cheaper than the Euro Zone especially food. Fresh produce salad etc was far cheaper in Italy.

bunny2

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Went to Croatia

This was the second year we have been to Croatia and we will go back next year.
Croatia is great. Generally good weather although this year we did have four days of heavy rain. Fuel is cheap in Croatia but the camp-site supermarkets were expensive. However down the road from where we stayed is Lidl which was good value. The camp site Vestar was about 50 Euro's a day for four of us, had a really good pool, shingle type beach and numerous small island just off shore.Perfect for our two boys (5 and 7). We have a boat that we take with us, its inflatable with a sail and engine and can be transported in our garage.

It took 24hrs to get to Croatia. We travelled through France, Belgium, Germany , Austria and Slovenia. I hate paying tolls and as per last year we paid nothing until Austria. As our motorhome is over 3.5 t we have a go box and the tolls through Austria both ways was about 130 Euro's. Last year we came back via Italy (and Venice) which while longer seemed cheaper, although I haven’t really compared it.

On the way back we went to Disneyland. A day's parking was 20 Euro but now that we have four fantasy passes we can park for free and have free entry into the park for 330 per year. So for the next year I can see that we will be making quite a few visits.

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
hi bunny glad you enjoyed your trip, how did your camos shape up? we lost bbc's itv and 4 around southern germany, would you recommend the site you stayed?

bunny2

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Going again

Croatia was amazing last year and so we are going again this year for the third time . We are leaving on the 23rd, spending two days in Disneyland Paris and them three weeks in Croatia. On the way back we are going to spend a week just south of Venice. For a family of four its still a good value holiday.

We can't wait :thumb:

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
We are going in just over a week, july 5th.

Plan is to stay overnight near tunnel for 07.20 crossing on 6th. Then its 3 days to get there without a clue where to go or where to stop. Stay in Croatia for a week at Camping Politin then 4 days to get back. Tunnel Wednesday morning (20th).

We are just so looking forwards to the trip:Smile:

Phil & Gill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back