Anyone fitted a roof vent spoiler to stop vibration? (1 Viewer)

kaspian

Free Member
Aug 16, 2009
bonnie Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 months and counting!
Hi all, our new Autoquest 130 has a very annoying habit of when hitting any speed over 50mph , the roof vent cover adjacent to the wardrobe starts to vibrate which sounds like someone using a pneumatic drill on the roof to the point you cannot hear each other talking in the cab because of the racket! Any sort of cross wind can also start it off and it really is so loud it sounds like the cast of Riverdance performing on the roof!:Eeek:
It has been supplied with the new style roof vent which ,when the internal flyscreen is opened ,the roller blind swings down with it as it is moulded into the same assembly . Our previous 2 vans had the older style hinged removable flyscreen frame .

Unfortunately the outer opaque vent cover is made from extremely flimsy plastic, the thickness of an egg box and is very poorly held to the roof vent frame ! So far we have travelled with dishclothes etc stuffed into it to try to deaden the racket and Elddis to their credit did offer to change out the vent to the older style but this would involve a 120 mile round trip to a dealer.

I spotted a Fiamma roof vent spoiler available on the internet that fits around the vent and is supposed to redirect the airflow over the roof vent to stop buffeting . Has anyone fitted such a vent and if so did it work as this would be an easier solution than ripping out the existing vent. Many thanks!

DiscoDave

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
The north
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
properly 4 years, playing at it for ages
I have fitted a Fiamma wind deflector, admittedly not to stop the wind noise on a roof vent but to stop the inane whistling sound caused by my solar panel being on the highest part of the roof. It worked a treat

One thing i would advise is that the instructions for fitting say to take out the screws on the roof vent and slide the wind deflector under the vent fixings. I would order a deflector of the next size up from the roof vent i was fitting it to, this way the deflector can just be bonded with skia or purflex without disturbing the vent and causing any problems with waranty.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I fitted the Fiama wind deflecters on an old Elddis we had years ago and they worked,agree with previous post...stick them on with Sikaflex.
What I did find also was that since fitting them I could leave the vents open slightly to aid ventilation whilst traveling without having to put up with the noise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I know this may sound strange but have you had your wheel balancing checked, I think it may be worth having done before fitting any additional equipment as it could just be a transfer from the wheel balancing to the weakest point.

The reason I suggest it is that you link this directly to speed, and if it were wind, while speed does have a contributor factor on the wind its not the only thing as wind direction and the general wind speed itself will also play a part, therefore if it happens as soon as you reach a specific speed i would suggest its more likely to be wheel balancing that perhaps you are not noticing via your steering wheel.

Just a thought, hope it helps

Hi all, our new Autoquest 130 has a very annoying habit of when hitting any speed over 50mph , the roof vent cover adjacent to the wardrobe starts to vibrate which sounds like someone using a pneumatic drill on the roof to the point you cannot hear each other talking in the cab because of the racket! Any sort of cross wind can also start it off and it really is so loud it sounds like the cast of Riverdance performing on the roof!:Eeek:
It has been supplied with the new style roof vent which ,when the internal flyscreen is opened ,the roller blind swings down with it as it is moulded into the same assembly . Our previous 2 vans had the older style hinged removable flyscreen frame .

Unfortunately the outer opaque vent cover is made from extremely flimsy plastic, the thickness of an egg box and is very poorly held to the roof vent frame ! So far we have travelled with dishclothes etc stuffed into it to try to deaden the racket and Elddis to their credit did offer to change out the vent to the older style but this would involve a 120 mile round trip to a dealer.

I spotted a Fiamma roof vent spoiler available on the internet that fits around the vent and is supposed to redirect the airflow over the roof vent to stop buffeting . Has anyone fitted such a vent and if so did it work as this would be an easier solution than ripping out the existing vent. Many thanks!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I made my own from plastic architrave :thumb: stuck to roof with Sikaflex type glue :thumb: When we made it we did not know they sold things like it. :ROFLMAO: Just looked at the vent on the roof and thought it should have something to deflect the wind :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Attachments

• Photo-0005.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Photo-00051.jpg
    Photo-00051.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 116
Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Afternoon all,

I put one on the roof of my adria twin to reduce wind noise.
Ued two fiamma joined together and stuck on with sikaflex and then painted to match, more expensive than first anticipated but what the heck.

georgio

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back