Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
hi anyone know stop over pitlochry or near

1 one on Loch tummel, I belive it's called Queens View. This is closest to Pitlochry.
2 Far end of Loch Rannock. Near Power station (don't worry it doesn't look like a power station) It's one of those that pump water at night and make power during the day. Right on the loch side, & very quiet.

Edit.
There is also a large area between the two Lochs near Kinlock Rannock which looks OK.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
1 one on Loch tummel, I belive it's called Queens View. This is closest to Pitlochry.
2 Far end of Loch Rannock. Near Power station (don't worry it doesn't look like a power station) It's one of those that pump water at night and make power during the day. Right on the loch side, & very quiet.

Edit.
There is also a large area between the two Lochs near Kinlock Rannock which looks OK.

"Sure by Tummel and Loch Rannoch and Lochaber I will go,"

http://www.alansim.com/scohtml/sco318.html

Brea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes Brian, just an old Scottish ditty but it's the way I remember them but never found which Lochaber the song refers to.

Oh yes - Google Maps throws up loads but all in England - like Lochaber Play Group.

Autoroute throws up just on near Dumfries.

Maybe he'd had a wee dram too many when he wrote it.

But the views make it all worthwhile....

Attachments

• I~000019.JPG
    I~000019.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 41

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Oh yes - Google Maps throws up loads but all in England - like Lochaber Play Group.

a very interesting thread ..

I don't believe there is a loch called 'Locharber' , rather it is an area of Scotland around Fort William and is on the road to the Isles.. hence

Sure, by Tummel and Loch Rannoch
And Lochaber I will go,
By heather tracks wi' heaven in their wiles;
If it's thinkin' in your inner heart
Braggart's in my step,
You've never smelt the tangle o' the Isles.
Oh, the far Coolins are puttin' love on me,
As step I wi' my cromak to the Isles.

Link Removed

Another example :

I was born in Lochwinnoch , Renfrewshire, but there is no loch called 'Lochwinnoch' or indeed 'Winnoch' , the loch is called Castle Semple Loch after the local estate of Castle Semple, named after the owner Lord Semple.

The village is named after a Saint Winnoch .. hence Lochwinnoch ..

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
You can stay over at Dalwhinnie next to an unused restaurant .We have stayed there a few times other motorhomes usually there but no problem if alone.Couple of lorries park up and leave early we didnt even hear them leave .....

Val

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It has a lot to answer for.

Indeed.. :roflmto:

Well, if your ever in that locale Brian I could advise on some great wild camping spots .. far from the maddening crowd and well off the usual tourist route .. although now found by the Glasgow yuppies and chav riff raff :RollEyes:

http://www.lochwinnoch.info/

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No

I don't believe there is a loch called 'Locharber' , rather it is an area of Scotland around Fort William and is on the road to the Isles.. hence

And Lochaber I will go,
Braggart's in my step,

Link Removed

Another example :

I was born in Lochwinnoch , Renfrewshire, but there is no loch called 'Lochwinnoch' or indeed 'Winnoch' , the loch is called Castle Semple Loch after the local estate of Castle Semple, named after the owner Lord Semple.

Jim,

100 lines were you not educated in Scotland like me , as you would get the tawse for bad spelling ! It is cromach which is a Scottish walking stick. :Doh:

David

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Where is Locharber

And Lochaber I will go,
Braggart's in my step,

Link Removed

Another example :

OK Jim & Brian now some research I have done.

The best reference to Lochaber I've found is in Glen Spean. The area between Loch Laggan and Fort William there is an area which appears on OS maps as Braes o' Locharber and this is on the way to Fort William (roughly) between Loch Rannock and Sky.
To be more precise it's between Roy Bridge and Tulloch Station.
See it HERE

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OK Jim & Brian now some research I have done.

The best reference to Lochaber I've found is in Glen Spean. The area between Loch Laggan and Fort William there is an area which appears on OS maps as Braes o' Locharber and this is on the way to Fort William (roughly) between Loch Rannock and Sky.
To be more precise it's between Roy Bridge and Tulloch Station.
See it HERE

Good work Keith

I think that is in agreement with my findings and your map is the same area as the one I pointed to,

Would you agree that there is no loch called Locharber ?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Good work Keith

I think that is in agreement with my findings and your map is the same area as the one I pointed to,

Would you agree that there is no loch called Locharber ?

In that area no, there is no Lochaber, but there is one in Mabie Forest in Dumfries & Galloway but that would be one hell of a walk, unless you are heading for the Isle of man. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
breeks
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
wild camp

You can stay over at Dalwhinnie next to an unused restaurant .We have stayed there a few times other motorhomes usually there but no problem if alone.Couple of lorries park up and leave early we didnt even hear them leave .....

Val
just back thanks for the help.breeks:thumb:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can buy a little piece of land and inherit a title from Lochaber and become a lord or lady. I did it for fun quite a few years ago. You get a certificate with ordnance survey location and fishing rights. Good laugh for £30

www.lochaberhighlandestates.com

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Think you can park overnight in either the large car park in Pilochry designated parking bays or at the car park at ladder dam also at House of Bruar

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Done & Dusted !!

Think you can park overnight in either the large car park in Pilochry[HI][HI] designated parking bays [/HI][/HI]or at the car park at ladder dam also at House of Bruar

There are 6 bays for motorhomes at the top of the car park, clearly marked "Motorhomes only".....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back