Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Sittingbourne Kent
Funster No
MH
Bess E435
Exp
9 months ex caravanner
Hi can anyone help me with a potentially nasty problem please?

I have a Bessacarr E435 2002 Motorhome with retractable steps, all well until last week when we nearly took a ladies leg off!!!!

The steps normally retract automatically when the ignition is turned on but last week that didn't happen, luckily someone noticed & screamed at me to stop before we passed a crowded area.

I rang Highbridge caravans (where we bought it 9 months ago) they said it was probably a blown fuse, he said it's probably behind the switch or if I removed the fridge vents it would probably be there, it wasn't & they couldn't help anymore, I then emailed Bessacarr & haven't received a reply!

So does anyone out there have any idea as to where it might be hidden?

Help!!!!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi can anyone help me with a potentially nasty problem please?

I have a Bessacarr E435 2002 Motorhome with retractable steps, all well until last week when we nearly took a ladies leg off!!!!

The steps normally retract automatically when the ignition is turned on but last week that didn't happen, luckily someone noticed & screamed at me to stop before we passed a crowded area.

I rang Highbridge caravans (where we bought it 9 months ago) they said it was probably a blown fuse, he said it's probably behind the switch or if I removed the fridge vents it would probably be there, it wasn't & they couldn't help anymore, I then emailed Bessacarr & haven't received a reply!

So does anyone out there have any idea as to where it might be hidden?

Help!!!!
Hi

I think we can help you.

If you open the bonnet you will see in the centre of the engine bay and towards the top a black box (cover) with 2 x gold 10mm nuts, remove the nuts and cover and you will see a fuse box with 5 x fues in.You should find the blown fuse there and it should be 15a.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Glenn Harris Workshop Manager

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Help!!!!

What horrendously bad design.

I would expect a simple microswitch connected to a loud beeper and powered by the ignition so if the step is not retracted and the ignition is on then you get an automatic warning.

Do they really fit these things with this ??????

Could you have one and it's faulty ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

weeme

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
lothian
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
steps

Hl
We have a Swift 2006 630 l
If steps are left down, buzzer sounds when ignition turned on
and steps retract .

Tony

Upvote 0
T

TomTee

Deleted User
It may not be a fuse as this is a very common fault. Steps are exposed to the elements and get all sorts of muck thrown up at them. It happened to me on my previous 'van and the step, which hadn't retracted, struck an earth bank as we cornered in a very narrow Cornish lane.

Fortunately, we were on the way to Camborne to have a Beeny Box fitted and the firm doing the job removed the mangled step for me.

The manufacturer was very good and accepted that the step was at fault and as the 'van was under warranty they replaced it free of charge.

If it's not the fuse it will be a dirty contact somewhere in the retracting mechanism.

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Or it could just be full of crap and needing a good clean and a whip round with WD40 on all the moving parts :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lindop

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Sittingbourne Kent
Funster No
MH
Bess E435
Exp
9 months ex caravanner
Thanks for all the replies but I think I may have confused you all.

My problem isn't the steps not working at all, they work fine when using the switch inside the rear door but no longer retract automatically when the engine is started.

I have checked all the fuses in the main fuse boxes plus the fuses in the wardrobe, all seen to be ok.

I also checked the fuses suggested by St Johns Motorhomes (thank you very much) but they also seem ok.

I have also traced back the wires from the switch, removing shelves etc to no avail.

Double Help!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lindop

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Sittingbourne Kent
Funster No
MH
Bess E435
Exp
9 months ex caravanner
Hi

I think we can help you.

If you open the bonnet you will see in the centre of the engine bay and towards the top a black box (cover) with 2 x gold 10mm nuts, remove the nuts and cover and you will see a fuse box with 5 x fues in.You should find the blown fuse there and it should be 15a.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Hi Glen

Thank very much for your help, I have checked the fuses & all seen to be ok.

The steps work when using the switch inside the rear door but no longer retract when starting the engine.

I have checked all the fuses in the main boxes plus the fuses in the wardrobe all seem to be ok!!!

Regards

Steve

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
It will be the ignition relay that has stuck/failed. This is a simple switch the closed a circuit when the ignition is turned on and pulls the step in. Maybe John Cross can tell you where to find it??:thumb:

Upvote 0

weeme

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
lothian
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
steps

Hi check a post by PEGASUS todays posting 15-01pm

there is a link for wiring etc attached omnistep

it might help

Tony

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could the problem be a relay rather than a fuse, if so, any idea where it might be?

Hi Lindop

Swift generally fit the relays as near to switch as possible but also fit them within the fridge cabinet so removal of the fridge would be necessary.

I hope you can resolve this soon

Regards

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back