Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Hi all Late last year i phurchased a van with a large solar panel on the roof, The main leasure battery finally died last weekend, with a new one in place already, my question is, do you leave the panel turned on perminatly or only use it when needed, ie when away, having just checked the meter reading in the van and checked that reading against a mutimeter, the both showed 13.8 volts, in very bright sun light, so back to my question on all the time or only when you use the van?

Cheers

Nick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all Late last year i phurchased a van with a large solar panel on the roof, The main leasure battery finally died last weekend, with a new one in place already, my question is, do you leave the panel turned on perminatly or only use it when needed, ie when away, having just checked the meter reading in the van and checked that reading against a mutimeter, the both showed 13.8 volts, in very bright sun light, so back to my question on all the time or only when you use the van?

Cheers

Nick

Leave on all the time. 13.8 is perfectly safe.

PS - I see others have mentioned "regulator", I could not imagine anyone fitting a permanent panel without one so I didn't. I guess some dumbos might just do that. But the 13.8v in bright sunlight indicated that you were safe.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i leave mine on all the time .you have a regulater i hope. i have 240wt panels hopefully i will always have full batteries ,i wish. at the moment at home i run a lead from the inverter in to the house and run my house fridge and other small leccy things off the batteries and panels..cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
I also have solar panels on the roof - they are permenantly fixed there, so yes, on all the time, but you need to have a regulator between the panels and the battery to prevent overcharging. Rugulators come in different sizes - you must get one that is rated at least as many watts as your panel is rated, generally the higher the rating (in watts) the more the regulator will cost. Without the regulator you would need to keep a very close eye on your battery voltage and disconnect the panel when the battery is fully charged, if you forget you will kill the battery, I know someone with a freestanding panel who does it this way, but I think it's far better to fit a regulator, then the whole system is automatic and you don't have to do anything.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
If you consider that a large percentage of base vans are driven around all day with the alternator pumping out 90+ amps, then unless you have a VERY large solar panel array, you are not likely to overcharge the battery ( assuming regulator fitted ). VMax

OP
OP
welsh winger

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Thank to all of you for you answers, and yes i do have a regulator fitted.

cheers

Nick

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
i am quite thick (on reflection very thick ):winky: but do you need a regulator for a small solar device that just trckle charge the battery

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you consider that a large percentage of base vans are driven around all day with the alternator pumping out 90+ amps, then unless you have a VERY large solar panel array, you are not likely to overcharge the battery ( assuming regulator fitted ). VMax

Slight flaw there, if the alternator is charging the battery fully then a solar panel could overcharge it.

But not, as you say, with a regulator fitted.

Anyone asking should have a voltmeter and just check the battery, as welsh winger did, and start getting worried at anything over 14.5V.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
i am quite thick (on reflection very thick ):winky: but do you need a regulator for a small solar device that just trckle charge the battery

the trickle charger i was considering a Maplin charger, that has a reverse blocking diode fitted do i still need a regulater?

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Solar panel

I would think a small 'trickle charger' solar panel is designed for just that,to top up your standing ,unused battery.I think the diode you mention is to stop current leaking back out of battery...
To the OP,i leave my 100 watt solar panel on permanant which is on top of the camper,it is in full sun from 7am till 7pm,reaching temperatures of up to 40 c in the air but much more..off the scale direct,checked thermometer today in full sun and its off the scale,the town one has broken !
There should be a safety devise built into the regulator to prevent overcharging etc. :Cool:

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99

Rule of thumb is you can use an unregulated panel up to 10% of you battery bank. e.g., a 10W panel for a 100Ah battery.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i do have one of those big red key switches in line just in casi need to do something to the wiring .or if something goes wrong.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
If you consider that a large percentage of base vans are driven around all day with the alternator pumping out 90+ amps.......

If your alternator pumps out 90+ amps all day then there is something seriously wrong with the alternator voltage control system.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Normally I consider "regulation" to be an infringement against freedom and often an attempt to curb reasonable pleasures in life but in the case of solar power I say it is a must. ::bigsmile:

JJ

Why on earth would anyone wish use a solar panel system without a regulator? (NB. I don't consider a little dash board panel that plugs into your ciggy lighter socket to be a system.)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If you have a battery master fitted your vehicle battery will then be topped up from the hab battery:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If you have a battery master fitted your vehicle battery will then be topped up from the hab battery:thumb:

My Rv has an emergency switch so the cranking batery is not connected to the leisure side but if run flat power can be taken from liesure battery
it also starts the generator from either battery

i have 3 x 110Ah batts topped up of the 230 watt solar panel
2 500w 12v-240 invertes run the tv, free view box, laptop and other small electrical things so its free power

5KVA gen runs microwave and all 240volt items when needed
petrol is no longer cheap so its sunshine power most of the time
:thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
My Rv has an emergency switch so the cranking batery is not connected to the leisure side but if run flat power can be taken from liesure battery
it also starts the generator from either battery

i have 3 x 110Ah batts topped up of the 230 watt solar panel
2 500w 12v-240 invertes run the tv, free view box, laptop and other small electrical things so its free power

5KVA gen runs microwave and all 240volt items when needed
petrol is no longer cheap so its sunshine power most of the time
:thumb:

I assume then that your three leisure batteries are wired with cable sufficient to carry cranking loads all the way back to the engine?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
i do have one of those big red key switches in line just in casi need to do something to the wiring .or if something goes wrong.

I was told by the people who fitted my panel that if you need to switch it/ disconnect it then you must break the circuit between the panel and the regulator, not between the regulator and the batteries as you could damage the regulator.

Solar panel should be left on all the time as long as there is a regulator.

The little panels from Maplin etc do not need a regulator as their output is very low. The blocking diode does not act as a regulator but just stops the battery discharging through the solar panel when there's no sun.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume then that your three leisure batteries are wired with cable sufficient to carry cranking loads all the way back to the engine?
normal fitment on an RV, oldun.

its all wired through a heavy duty seloniod :thumb:

ALL the battery wires (batt to batt inter-links and batt to 'control' panel) on mine are around 25mmsq so quite capable of engine cranking.

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Regulator

Dont forget a regulator/control panel also stops power returning to the panel in reverse as the sun goes down,most are fitted with diodes wich stops reverse polarity ie: flaterning the batteries. Also if two batteries are wired together they will always transfer power to each other so the are evenly charged. ie: one should never be fully charged and one flat ,if they are theres somthing wrong usually a knackered battery cell . Ocasionally when not in use for a while its a good thing to turn on a couple of things for a while to reduce battery power as it does them good to have a re-charge. Or if your Motorhome parked next to your house why not go green, run your house fridge , Tv from your motorhome through an 12v invertor ,why not always make use of totally free power all year and keep your bills to a minimum.

Although your alternator runs constantly on your motorhomeor car it dosnt mean it charges constantly .It to has a regulator fitted internally which clicks in when it realises the battery power has droped.:thumb:

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
normal fitment on an RV, oldun.

its all wired through a heavy duty seloniod :thumb:

ALL the battery wires (batt to batt inter-links and batt to 'control' panel) on mine are around 25mmsq so quite capable of engine cranking.

But not standard fitment on UK motorhomes I would imagine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back