Trip to French Riviera (1 Viewer)

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hello all,
We're off to French Riviera on 24th June and have no schedule other than to drive south to maybe Frejus/St Tropez/Ramatuelle/Cannes/Cavalaire Sur Mer, etc. In 2008 we visited the aforementioned and really enjoyed those and some smaller places in between all along that coastline. I am looking for advice/guidance on some other (nice areas) which we could visit and enjoy. We don't necessarily have to visit the places mentioned. Also it doesn't necessarily have to be coastal areas that we visit, inland places will also be taken on board our schedule.

One more thing, while we did stay in campsites last time we wouldn't mind trying some of the Aires (pay or non-paying) which I presume would cut down on costs as we will be there for a month. Where do I find out where the aires are located (website/booklet).

Just one more thing!, how could we cut down on tolls as last time we paid about 230 euro in tolls from Cherbourg down to south and return journey included or do you think it is better to stay on the autoroutes and save time and maybe diesel by cutting down on travelling on secondary roads.

One more thing (finally!!) just to thank all you motorhoming funsters out there in cyberspace for your time and patience with this and hope it is not too long-winded to get around.
Regards, Decmac and Co.:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Decmac, if you are staying in Cannes, would recommend the Camping Cheque site just on the outskirts of Cannes with a cycle way taking about 15 mins to the centre, really good site, also has a bus stop outside and last year it was 1 euro not matter where you went, we went from Cannes to Nice for 1 euro, we thought that really good value.
Port Grimaud is another good stop and you can get a water taxi into St Tropez. Would try and avoid the toll roads if you can as they are quite expensive and we found the alternative roads very good.
Have a great trip. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hi Decmac, if you are staying in Cannes, would recommend the Camping Cheque site just on the outskirts of Cannes with a cycle way taking about 15 mins to the centre, really good site, also has a bus stop outside and last year it was 1 euro not matter where you went, we went from Cannes to Nice for 1 euro, we thought that really good value.
Port Grimaud is another good stop and you can get a water taxi into St Tropez. Would try and avoid the toll roads if you can as they are quite expensive and we found the alternative roads very good.
Have a great trip. ::bigsmile:

Thanks Carol, do I need then to have camping cheques sorted out before I go if I stay in the site outside Cannes, never used them before or maybe will pay the full amount. Have heard of Port Grimaud mentioned frequently and you say it is worth a trip? Hope you can reply to this, thanks. One more thing have you the actual address of the campsite near Cannes (east or west). Would it take much longer going on secondary roads - I know you probably can't really answer that because of different roads and conditions/driving etc., but you would really recommend it from your post. Spent a lot of money the last time (230 euro)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
once you get south of the river loire france is a delightful country to motorhome in!
so why pay tolls and drive on motorways , you might just as well stay in england and drive up and down the M1 !

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi
sounds a good trip,
We went there last autumn. We used the qutoroute at first to get us well into Burgundy then used the normal roads. (By the way many of these have been renumbered and are now D roads, a friend said it was so that the departments now had responsibility for maintaining them!) We stayed at aires and France Passion sites.
We stayed at a FP site called La Maison du Lavande just north of St Croix de Verdon. Delightful stay in a truffle orchard. We met a French couple staying for a week. Next morning we went to the aire at St Croix and got there really early. Some vans were leaving but a lot were staying more than one night. We had a magnificent spot overlooking the lake. From here you can walk to the lake and its beach, there are restaurants nearby (pricey). After that we used a FP site at Chateau des Demoiselles just north of Le Muy, again absolutely wonderful place with some walking trails through the Domaine.l. They were happy with a two night stay as long as you told them you were coming back.
This is very close to the coastal area you are heading for.
Have a great time
Violet

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Les Arcs is worth a trip (link), the old village has a lovely little museum. Also, if you like Ramatuelle you'll probably appreciatet Grimaud (as distinct from Port Grimaud), a good castle ruin and a very pretty village.

There's a good site called Les Pinedes, on the D61 between Grimaud and Port Grimaud.

I don't know how you feel about wild camping, but I reckon the forest above St Tropez, near the windmills (I think it's the D93, Route des Plages) might be a good place.

I think there may be an Aire at Gigaro - aim for the beaches below La Croix Valmer. If not, again, there are some wild camping opportunities around there.

Bon voyage - we're off there in October!

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Thank you Carol, Violet, Lebesset and TDH for your swift replies. I really appreciate them. Sorry I didn't get back earlier but my internet connection went last night:Sad:
To TDH . . . have you stayed at the Les Pinedes site between Grimaud and Port Grimaud? Would you recommend it? Wouldn't mind camping wild near St. Tropez (forest) but I wonder would there be other motorhomers around - my wife would like that. Again thank you all and if you have any more info that pops into your mind, please post again and I will be watching eagerly for your posts and hope you all enjoy the summer holidays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Thank you Carol, Violet, Lebesset and TDH for your swift replies. I really appreciate them. Sorry I didn't get back earlier but my internet connection went last night:Sad:
To TDH . . . have you stayed at the Les Pinedes site between Grimaud and Port Grimaud? Would you recommend it? Wouldn't mind camping wild near St. Tropez (forest) but I wonder would there be other motorhomers around - my wife would like that. Again thank you all and if you have any more info that pops into your mind, please post again and I will be watching eagerly for your posts and enjoy the summer holidays.

danielhenry

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Funster No
This is really nice place for spending your holidays. Stretching from Menton near the Italian border to Saint-Tropez in Var, you can follow 80 miles of scenic beaches and stunning coastline from one town to the next, experiencing the different personalities and cultures of each village on the way.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Having spent 2 weeks down there last summer my best advice would be to bring plenty of money with you!

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
To TDH . . . have you stayed at the Les Pinedes site between Grimaud and Port Grimaud? Would you recommend it? Wouldn't mind camping wild near St. Tropez (forest) but I wonder would there be other motorhomers around - my wife would like that. Again thank you all and if you have any more info that pops into your mind, please post again and I will be watching eagerly for your posts and enjoy the summer holidays.

I've not stayed there with the van but have been to a static there half a dozen times in the last couple of years. It's quiet but has what you need. PM me if you want to go there and I'll give you a contact to look up. If you get up into the Maure there are loads of opportunities for wild camping.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
have you seen the effects of yesterday's storm in that area... there is aposting on the site about it,
lala

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Good thread this as I'm just starting to look at septembers trip to the Med and thought about Grimaud and camping at Prairies de la Mer, reviwed by the Stotherts in mmm a while ago. it looks a big site but ok for few nights. the Wild camping sounds spot on. I'm thinking of looking at the Gorge de Verdun on the way but it will depend on the weather. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread but i wanted to keep it going

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back