Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi everyone

We are heading across the channel soon, and are looking for an over night stop near Aachen, or anywhere along the A2, A3 (E314) towards Koblenz.

Any recommendations, preferably a platz/site which you can arrive and leave 24 hours?

Here's our route (Blue Line on the map), click here

Thanks in advance

N&K

chrisshipp

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Funster No
Please ignore me as I haven't a clue what I'm talking about, not even having a motorhome at the moment, but, the Stellplatz in Aachen is recommended...

Link Removed

Aachen is supposed to be a hidden gem and a city many simply pass on the Autobahn but apparently is well worth a visit. Liege is also supposed to be worth a visit but haven't sorted out where to stay there yet.

What's at the Rhein-Westerwald Naturpark - the end of your blue line? Looks from the map as if this could be interesting....

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks chrisshipp, I have copied down the details ready for our up and coming trip.

The route is only part of our route it Italy, we go that way to save on Tolls. Koblenz is the point where we can go varies ways to reach the Brenner. There are various route, all of which are very similar distances but vary greatly. i.e. 1 lane roads, 2 lane motorways with restricted overtaking if you are towing, or 3 lanes and a lot quieter motorways with no overtaking restrictions, so no real reason for the Rhein-Westerwald Naturpark :thumb:

The plan is to get off the channel tunnel and drive about 4 hours and stop for a kip. I would like not to sleep in a service station as we are towing a motorbike, so anywhere along the route is good for us.

ta.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Koblenz is the point where we can go varies ways to reach the Brenner. ta.

Just stopped at Sankt Goar south of Koblenz for 1 night but it was so good we stopped 3 nights. Camping Loreleyblink. Noisy due to railway but it's facinating watching the Rhein traffic on the prettiest section of the Rhein. We did St Goar to Calais in one hop.

We'd just done Italy via Switzerland. Spent more time in Switzerland than planned because I'd forgotten just how spectacular it is.

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Many Thanks Brian

Even though we are setting off next week, I am jealous you are all ready touring round mainland Europe! I'm ready for a holiday!

I found the site you mentioned
Link Removed

Thanks

N.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many Thanks Brian

Even though we are setting off next week, I am jealous you are all ready touring round mainland Europe! I'm ready for a holiday!

I found the site you mentioned
Link Removed

Thanks

N.

Other way round here, frozen and pissed off, the annual big event is all over :cry:

Worse the &@&~@$s here keep saying how good the weather was while we were away :Angry:

A spectacular campsite to be sure. They pay a fortune to cruise the Rhein to go past it probably not realising that to steam through the Loreley takes less than an hour. Whereas we got a day at a time for €18.

We got down as far as Firenza this time. Camping Michelangelo proved to be as good as reported on here for views and convenience for walking into town and bussing back. A whole Euro to get back. Good news for Olde Fartes, over 64 and it seems many museums etc are free with proof of age.

Have a good trip, hope it doesn't get too hot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
We have stayed at the stellplatz at Aachen a few times and is well worth a couple of nights to look round the city. It is an easy drive from there to St Goa and the Loreliey blick camp site. Been on there a few times but has been said earlier it can be very noisy. Having said that it is a very easy walk into town and is great watching the river traffic.

Have fun Sooty10

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp