Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Doh::Blush: It finally happened. We were ROBBED in SPAIN. :Angry:

:Sad: Was I GASSED? NO. I have only MYSELF to blame. We were parked at the beach in Cubelles among several other Spanish Motorhomes. The Blasted Robber broke the lock on the passenger side door. Actually came right INSIDE via the door, then the curtains and climbing over the cooler box in between the 2 front seats into the dining/kitchen area.
I awoke to see the curtain moving as I jumped down from the over garage bed and heard the passenger door close.
The Robber/s had gone through Sandies knitting bag checking everything, put her crocs on the ground outside then stole 3 Mobile phones and Sandy's Digital Camera. If I hadn't woken up? He could have helped himself to our Laptop and my Helicopters and Aeroplanes. Luckily our money/cards/passports etc were in a different place.
Why is it my fault? Because I had grown complacent and couldn't be bothered to learn how to set the Alarm for use when parked and in situ withing the Suntor. I now make sure that I DO set the ALARM.
Once again, we were NOT GASSED and apart from our 1 glass of Wine for supper we were NOT drunk. Just P***** off from having lost our belongings through complacency. :shout:

PS. I will NOT be making an Insurance claim. I am TOO honest to NOT report that I did not set the Alarm.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sorry to hear that. it happened to us on el saler beach last december .proper bas(((d it is .i lost 600euro +credit cards. waste of time claiming as van not damaged . you did aught to report to police. though they dont do much, sorry again it is miserable .cheers alan.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Sorry John, its still a really horrid thing to happen even if you do take the blame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
PS. I will NOT be making an Insurance claim. I am TOO honest to NOT report that I did not set the Alarm.

Is the insurance dependant on the alarm being set ? If not claim.

You're obviously OK, sympathy but no worse than the weather, so keep enjoying life.

Hydecolt

Free Member
Jan 7, 2008
Traveling in europe
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
full timed 8 years/traveled 4 years
sorry to hear of your misfortune,but thanks for reminding us all not to get complacent,
best wishes to you both
Anna and Colin

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Not a good experience. Can understand your complacency, it doesn't always feel necessary to set the alarm,...... but it's clearly something we should do every time.
Glad you're both ok
Violet

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
These thieving bar stewards are so good at what they do. A few years back we were in a hotel in Costa Teguise Lanzarote. 1st floor room , the tea leaf climbed over the balcony and nicked cash and my camera from beside the bed while we were asleep, didn't know until the morning , I always have a safe now and in the rv put all valuables out of sight and all doors and windows locked.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We always try to set the alarm & any other precautions against break ins every time we park up where ever we are. By doing this it becomes second nature & nothing special, you never know when a thief will try to break in. Think of it of locking the door of you house when you go to bed, how many people would sleep comfortably if the didn't lock the door. We also leave the van keys close to hand as you can set off the panic alarm by holding down the alarm button. We also have the mobile phone by the bed. My advice is just get into the habit of doing it so it becomes second nature.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Sorry to hear about your robbery - at least no one was hurt!

We always set the alarm, wherever we are parked - secure camp site, motorhomefun meet, whatever - the alarm is always set!

At least then we should be woken by any intrusion!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorry to hear about your robbery - at least no one was hurt!

We always set the alarm, wherever we are parked - secure camp site, motorhomefun meet, whatever - the alarm is always set!

At least then we should be woken by any intrusion!

Ditto :Smile: Thanks for the reminder though. Jane

Remember, not everyone has the same morals as yourself!

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Sorry to hear of this and glad neither of you came to harm. We all make mistakes once in a while and no doubt you will now set the alarm. Hope the robbing *%£$!"^ gets caught and get their cumupance.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
A couple of weeks back when we had broken down in France and were dumped overnight by the RAC in what might be called a scrap yard a couple of morons tried to get our bikes at 2 in the morning ,but they did not recon on my padlock alarm going off also I used to leave the MH in reverse gear so I could switch on the ignition so reversing lights and camera came on and could see the little B""""""s as they ran off .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs... how awful for you.... I bet you feel sick inside and find yourself keep thinking about the rotten thieving scumbag/s every time your mind wanders.... I'm sorry it happened.

You have reminded us all not to be complacent ... I began to think I must just be paranoid because I really worry about being broken into in the night, even when surrounded by other vans - but you have shown this happens and safety in numbers doesn't apply. Thanks for the warning.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Sorry to hear that! Its a bugger, but glad you will now be using your alarm :thumb:

We didn't for the first year and only started when we were told about robbers in Portugal when we were there in April. To be honest, as we only have a habitation door (no cab doors) I hadn't bothered to even read up on how to set it with us inside. Anyway we followed the advice given and now use it every time. We did set it off accidentally a few times getting up and out in the mornings but soon got used to it.

I hope your story will encourage others to be vigilant :Smile:

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Crumbs... how awful for you.... I bet you feel sick inside and find yourself keep thinking about the rotten thieving scumbag/s every time your mind wanders.... I'm sorry it happened.

You have reminded us all not to be complacent ... I began to think I must just be paranoid because I really worry about being broken into in the night, even when surrounded by other vans - but you have shown this happens and safety in numbers doesn't apply. Thanks for the warning.

:Sad: Yes, we have not felt very good since it happened. I wake at the slightest movement or sound. But I certainly feel better now using the alarm. BUT, it will NOT put us off parking wherever we want on the way back to the UK. Happy RV'ing/Motorhoming to you ALL. :thumb:

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
:Sad: Yes, we have not felt very good since it happened. I wake at the slightest movement or sound. But I certainly feel better now using the alarm. BUT, it will NOT put us off parking wherever we want on the way back to the UK. Happy RV'ing/Motorhoming to you ALL. :thumb:

We live and learn dont we,although frustrating it could have been a lot worse.
At least you are both ok.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John,

What a bummer, but at least you didn't lose everything as some have, nor did you awake to find the smell of gas and your PJ's removed::bigsmile:

You've seen me write here loads of times how easy it is to be robbed while we sleep and how we all sleep heavier than we think.

Deadlocks and internal alarms will almost completely negate this threat, I'm sure you'll be setting it in the future. I would definitely run it by the insurance company, they might not even realise you have an alarm with "part guard" Nothing to do with dishonesty John, this is exactly what your instance is for. I would put a claim in. Best wishes:thumb:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
we to are sorry to hear about your robbery - at least no one was hurt, on a lighter note if someone broke into our van they would leave 10 euro :Smile:

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John,

What a bummer, but at least you didn't lose everything as some have, nor did you awake to find the smell of gas and your PJ's removed::bigsmile:

You've seen me write here loads of times how easy it is to be robbed while we sleep and how we all sleep heavier than we think.

Deadlocks and internal alarms will almost completely negate this threat, I'm sure you'll be setting it in the future. I would definitely run it by the insurance company, they might not even realise you have an alarm with "part guard" Nothing to do with dishonesty John, this is exactly what your instance is for. I would put a claim in. Best wishes:thumb:

:Doh: I fitted some special deadlocks to the garage and entrance doors. I looked at getting something for the drivers and passenger doors but couldn't find anything that I liked. I will not be making an insurance claim. Sod's Law. This is the first year I have NOT had No Claims protection. :Doh:

lee

Free Member
Mar 29, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to hear of this happening to you, never had it in our van but we have had our last house turned over.

We do as Kon Tiki says, everytime. The alarm also locks the cab doors so its all locked up and alarmed with the press of a button.
Keep the keys and a phone next to our bed, with her handbag.
Its a shame, but you cant trust anywhere or anyone.

Lets hope you get over it soon, dont let theses people spoil your days.

Regards,
Lee.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
sorry to hear of your misfortune. Heres hoping the rest of your trip is pleasant and uneventful xxxx

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Glad that you are both ok and the only injury is to your pride. As others have said...it could have been worse. Doesn't get rid of the feeling of violation though.

Some good though....some of us will now make sure we set our alarms at night. :Doh:

Have a safe journey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back