Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
Just got a fiamma zip of off a Rapido, received all the fittings etc. Need to get it fitted to my Bessacarr coachbuilt. Live near Ormskirk in Lancashire. Can anybody help, with info on how to or know of an installer. Thanks

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Stick and self tap 3 / 4 brackets to side of van :thumb: lift awning onto brackets secure with grub screws :thumb: wind out awning -wind back in :thumb: put away pole nether use it again :ROFLMAO: 20 mins :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GDH

Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
We assumed that there were fixing points on the van. The bracket that came of off the Rapido went into the gutter on the top, so would we not need that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I would have to see the van and brackets but they are usually about 4 ins sq with a lip on that the awning clips onto then secured with the grub screws- another lip so it is a long c shape if you can follow what I mean.
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GDH

Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
This is a view of the end of the bracket. Any help??

Attachments

• P1000272.jpg
    P1000272.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If that's the case go to my original idea - stick (sikaflex ) and self tap :thumb:
terry
got pic you can fit full or saw smaller bits off - say 6 ins

Upvote 0

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
I'm a bit wary of getting involved with this thread, as the consequences of wrongly fitting are pretty bad.

I have fitted my own awning, however, so here is some background - you use any of it at your own risk :Sad:.

First, the bracket you show is specific to the Rapido, and is shaped to fit into the gutter on these 'vans - you shouldn't use it for your van.

Second, many vans have reinforced positions for mounting the brackets - if you want to be sure, either ask your dealer or manufacturer, or alternatively check similar vans for where the bracket positions are.

I'm not au fait with your 'van, but I would suspect you need the standard, flush-fitting brackets appropriate to your awning length. This may be the AS400 kit pictured here:

Link Removed

For something the weight we are talking about, hung on the vertical wall, I would personally never simply stick and self-tap, but bolt all the way through the wall and use the backing plates, as Fiamma recommend. By all means seal the bracket to the wall, (I'd bed on a thin layer of mastic), and definitely seal any holes drilled.

Picking the mounting points also involves being sure what is on the inside of the wall (needs clear access to tighten bolts) and preferably the inner point being within a cupboard/locker (to hide the mounting from open view). If you can't hide, plastic covers are supplied.

Main issue is that you only get one go at drilling the mounting points, and they have to be absolutely in line across the brackets (probably 3), such that the brackets align. Without decent access (scaffolding or ladders) this can be difficult. (ironically, it is much easier on the Rapido, as the guttering provides a clear refence, and you can drop the bracket on BEFORE drilling).

Don't underestimate the weight of the awning, as it needs lifting onto the brackets once they've been installed. It's a good 2-person job, and I had to call on a friend to help as it was far to heavy for my other half).

It can be done as a DIY job, but needs research, confidence, some basic skills, and some brute strength.

Added as an edit:

I also forgot, there is a post somewhere on here about the shorter Bessacarr havingt an awning fitted, and the arm (when extended) fouling the habitaition door, stopping it from opening or closing. Installation height and horizontal positioning ia thus critical (It may not be such a big problem on your 'van)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GDH

Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
Thanks very much for your advice. We have found a chap who fits them, and he is gonna do on Tuesday for us. Not sure we have the nerve to drill holes in our van. Not as brave as some. Saw the post about the awning being in the way with the door open.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm a bit wary of getting involved with this thread, as the consequences of wrongly fitting are pretty bad.

I have fitted my own awning, however, so here is some background - you use any of it at your own risk :Sad:.

First, the bracket you show is specific to the Rapido, and is shaped to fit into the gutter on these 'vans - you shouldn't use it for your van.

Second, many vans have reinforced positions for mounting the brackets - if you want to be sure, either ask your dealer or manufacturer, or alternatively check similar vans for where the bracket positions are.

I'm not au fait with your 'van, but I would suspect you need the standard, flush-fitting brackets appropriate to your awning length. This may be the AS400 kit pictured here:

Link Removed

For something the weight we are talking about, hung on the vertical wall, I would personally never simply stick and self-tap, but bolt all the way through the wall and use the backing plates, as Fiamma recommend. By all means seal the bracket to the wall, (I'd bed on a thin layer of mastic), and definitely seal any holes drilled.

Picking the mounting points also involves being sure what is on the inside of the wall (needs clear access to tighten bolts) and preferably the inner point being within a cupboard/locker (to hide the mounting from open view). If you can't hide, plastic covers are supplied.

Main issue is that you only get one go at drilling the mounting points, and they have to be absolutely in line across the brackets (probably 3), such that the brackets align. Without decent access (scaffolding or ladders) this can be difficult. (ironically, it is much easier on the Rapido, as the guttering provides a clear refence, and you can drop the bracket on BEFORE drilling).

Don't underestimate the weight of the awning, as it needs lifting onto the brackets once they've been installed. It's a good 2-person job, and I had to call on a friend to help as it was far to heavy for my other half).

It can be done as a DIY job, but needs research, confidence, some basic skills, and some brute strength.

Added as an edit:

I also forgot, there is a post somewhere on here about the shorter Bessacarr havingt an awning fitted, and the arm (when extended) fouling the habitaition door, stopping it from opening or closing. Installation height and horizontal positioning ia thus critical (It may not be such a big problem on your 'van)

Perhaps I gave GDH too much credit /assumed he has a little common sense in that he would find the batons to screw his brackets to :ROFLMAO: When he mentioned someone to fit or advise to fit himself I naturally thought he would be competent to do so :thumb: Common sense dictates that you can open the doors and position of the awning :winky: At 4.5 mtrs long again I assumed he would know he needed 2 people to lift it in position. as such I take on board what you are getting at :thumb:
I will try to go into as much detail as possible the next time, if I have an hour or so spare (or if GDH asked for more detail ) to write every detail :Blush: but I could have fitted the awning in less time it has taken me to write this reply :Eeek:
Since he has now opted for a professional to fit his awning it is now irrelevant
but I will detail every move on how to fit one for others that may want to fit there own
First put the kettle on then-
1. follow the instruction book - if no book available--
2, use the correct brackets or if confident modify what you have :ROFLMAO:
3 mark out the position where you want to fit awning - making sure you do not foul any doors windows or vents etc try to find / locate any strengthening beams to fix into them
4 stick ( I recommend sikaflex type adhesive ) and self tap the brackets into your marked position making sure you seal any holes/screws etc,wiping off any excess.
5 lift and place in position the awning remembering to secure in place with the grub screws.
6 drink the coffee that your partner made for you while you fitted the awning :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GDH

Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
I did understand that you needed to have two (at least) to lift the awning, its not a light weight item!! I also have enough brains to know that the door will have to be opened when the awning is wound out. Doh!!! I still do not have to nerve to drill the side of my van, like its been said you only get one attempt. Getting it fitted is just the cowards way I guess. And just for your info Terry GDH is a female. Don't be so presumptious. haha

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb::ROFLMAO: I will bet RH knew you were female hence having to explain fully :ROFLMAO: not blonde are you :RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
:thumb::ROFLMAO: I will bet RH knew you were female hence having to explain fully :ROFLMAO: not blonde are you :RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Actually, I didn't make any assumptions.

It seemed to me that the OP was looking for advice, was therefore probably looking for some detailed help, and was potentially being dragged into something that could have ended up as a real 'bodge'.

In particular, expecting to re-use the existing bracket was not a good idea - I know, I had to buy the Rapido specific brackets to fit to my van, and they are very different to the standard supplied brackets. ( there is also other advice in my post that conflicts somewhat with what you posted).

I simply attempted to add my knowledge/experience, and expected the OP to use it as they required.

It appears she has, and good luck to her.

I hope GDH has a good sense of humour - I wouldn't dare post what you just have, especially if my other half were watching. :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb: that's why I put the :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: bits in :thumb: not intended to offend anyone hence my thanking you earlier under your post :thumb: The advise I gave still holds in my opinion and the bracket only needed cutting into 3 x 6 ins lengths and the top section cutting off :thumb: hence the link to the pretty pics to see which would suit HER van :ROFLMAO::thumb::winky:
terry

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Terry i have seen the pictures of your van( bloody brilliant) please remember we are not all as practical as you and cannot build a fantastic motorhome that looks great from a few bits and bobs and sticky back plastic:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am sorry if I have offended anyone ( it was not my intention to do so ) When someone asks for DIY advice I sometimes assume they have the necessary skills to carry out the advise given.:Doh: The time frame of making / drinking coffee was to give a general idea of how easy a job I was describing
terry

Upvote 0

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
:thumb: that's why I put the :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: bits in :thumb: not intended to offend anyone hence my thanking you earlier under your post :thumb: The advise I gave still holds in my opinion and the bracket only needed cutting into 3 x 6 ins lengths and the top section cutting off :thumb: hence the link to the pretty pics to see which would suit HER van :ROFLMAO::thumb::winky:
terry

A few scattered emoticons wouldn't cut any ice with my Marian, she's a very scary lady. :help:

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do not think you offended anyone Terry I was just reminding you we are not all as good with practical things as you:ROFLMAO: what is a five minute job to you is a bloody hell better get an expert to some::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A few scattered emoticons wouldn't cut any ice with my Marian, she's a very scary lady. :help:
:ROFLMAO: you are now assuming that GDH has a hubby :ROFLMAO:
PS no scarier than my other half ::bigsmile: I am a man not a mouse :ROFLMAO: now were is that cheese :Eeek::winky:
terry
pps I know I am the boss - the wife told me I am

Upvote 0

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Wind out Awnings.

Do vans need a wind out awning or is it just a fad 'that we must have one'.
People forget that these animals are quite heavy with all the relavent strain on that side of the van, in time is responsible for many leaks.
I was offered an awning to be fitted on my new unit and refused, the salesman said everyone has an awning, without one your not with it. My answer is not for publication.
When one takes a look at the number of times an awning is put out most will agree is not very often yet we still accept the weight and risks of having one. I, like a number of others carry a portable umbrella a fraction of the weight of your wind out awning.
My money was spent on such as security issues, suspension units and speed controls etc. OK this was about £3500 but more beneficial than an awning.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back