LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Got a new satellite box at Stratford. Very pleased with it but how do I get teletext on it. When I press the "text" button I get a window which says "no data"

Confused of Yarkshire. :ROFLMAO:

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Is it a 'Freesat' box (i.e. one which is particularly oriented to the Freesat branded interface) or a generic Free to Air receiver.

If it is the former, it will have the ability to receive MHEG services, which include the text and Red Button stuff, it will also be able to read and display the full Freesat Electronic Program Guide.

If it is the latter, you will get the base transmission, but none of the other services, and text, which used to be transmitted like terrestrial text, is no longer generally available.

(If it is a 'Freesat' box, text isn't transmitted on variousl of the channels, make sure you test on BBC1, and give it a minute after tuning the channel, as MHEG takes some time to load on some boxes).

You could always post which box it is.

HTH

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, the box is a "Micro" HDMI/High definition Free to Air Satellite Receiver. Thanks for the info. I thought text was freely available. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Don't think you're going to get text. :cry:

I have a Maplin FTA box I've had from before Freesat days, and am in the same boat.

I quite miss text, and was considering getting a cheap Freesat HD box from Argos (as most of the HD, but none of the SD boxes has a 12v feed).

Whilst you can't use BBC Red Button services (say an alternative tennis match or something), most FTA receivers do store the alternate channels. If you do a bit of Googling it will tell you how to identify them from your scanned channel listing (as they won't be labelled anything like 'BBC Red Button').

No similar solution for text though. :Sad:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
question is , what is the maximum voltage these 12v devices will accept ?same with LED tv's ?
have been trying to find out , but no luck

vehicle batteries are excellent stabilisers [ no power spikes ] but they don't actually give 12v , do they ; a fully charged one in good condition is going to give about 12.7 v , and if being charged from the engine 13.7v seems to be more like the norm

so is this ok ? lots of people have tried and not seemed to have problems , but this may being in the short term ; yes , you can buy stabilisers to give you a narrow range , but they are a rip off price

I found one in the USA for this purpose , it said it cut the current if the voltage went too low or too high ......11.8v and 16v respectively ; 11.8 to stop your battery being too heavily discharge sounds ok to me , but wouldn't 16v be too high for a TV ?

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have a look at this it may help Link Removed look at interactive. BBC red button channel 105 Teletex channel 100 and so on.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
I run both the TV and the satellite box from the split output of an Amperor voltage stabiliser, (the combined load being within the rating)

http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/12v_Stabiliser.asp

(and split to two feeds by using some cheap components from maplin)

I did have a problem in the past before buying the stabiliser with a Freeview receiver melting the case after it became hot, so now I don't take the chance.

Not particularly cheap (it was a bit cheaper when I bought), but much cheaper than replacing equipment, and my 'van can go up to 14.5v under charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back