Skype in Majorca "Help" (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a nokia 95 8 gb on contract with 3. I will be in Majorca later this month and I would sooner not take my lap top.
My question is will I be able to connect to Skype via an internet link if I can find one and can I be sure that I am not being connected through the telephone network.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
surely you would do the same there as here....

if you enter the phone number into skype then it will connect through skype and not the local mobile network.

unless, of course, skype on a phone is different to skype on a lappy/desktop. :Doh:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i am sure you would be charged roaming charges for the mobile phone and internet which is not cheap. 3 do have agreements with some countries re roaming but spain is not one of them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
If your mobile has Wifi
AND you can install Skype on to it

Then you can connect to a wifi network (e.g. macdonalds) and use Skype free of charge (or pay for skype-out)

Just ensure you set Skype to use WiFi only!!!

Can't give any more info as it is all phone specific - but yes, I can (and do) use it on my smartphone.

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
take your laptop and you will be able to get on skype , if you have a internet connection , free skype to skype calls :thumb:eek:r a small fee for landlines

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It can be done....but you will have to pay dearly for it.
I have had the 3 Skype phone since its start and was under the impresion that Skype to Skype calls were free around the world as they are on my laptop.
Had a huge shock when the bill came with roaming charges etc.
Use the Skype facility a lot when am in UK to keep in contact with friends and family around the world but never use it when am out of sight of UK.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If your mobile has Wifi
AND you can install Skype on to it

Then you can connect to a wifi network (e.g. macdonalds) and use Skype free of charge (or pay for skype-out)

Just ensure you set Skype to use WiFi only!!!

Can't give any more info as it is all phone specific - but yes, I can (and do) use it on my smartphone.
Thanks for your suggestions, I guess that I was being lazy not working it out for myself. I use Skype most days on my 3 phone but the Skype was downloaded through my Three network, it is then a free service. If not done this way then you soon reach your max internet fare use limit.
On reflection I think that I will make the changeover with a Skype internet download while still in the uk. This should then connect automatically but only if I am connected via WiFi in Majorca as the Three Skype download will have been disabled.
[FONT=&quot]Does that make any sense or am I missing something:Confused:[/FONT]

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Buttons,

I can't speak for Spain, but in Italy you can't use the McDonalds free wifi. you have to be resident in the country (they check out your addres on there system before sending you by email the passkey by email.

We did manage to buy a PAYG data card in Italy and used this with an un-locked dongle.

Good luck:thumb:

Patrick

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons,

I can't speak for Spain, but in Italy you can't use the McDonalds free wifi. you have to be resident in the country (they check out your addres on there system before sending you by email the passkey by email.
We did manage to buy a PAYG data card in Italy and used this with an un-locked dongle.
Good luck:thumb:patrick
Thanks Patrick.. Amazing! One Europe yet each country is different. The Three network is free in Italy but not in Spain. I think that I will have to phone Three in India to confirm my best options.:Confused::Smile:
Cheers
Buttons

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the best solution is get a local payg sim/data sim/dongle for the country you are in, but some countries are even making that difficult now.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
the best solution is get a local payg sim/data sim/dongle for the country you are in, but some countries are even making that difficult now.
Thanks chatter, I'm only there for a week so I was hoping to make do.:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Making proper phone calls from your mobile will be cheaper than roaming data charges. Ring them and ask if they do a prepaid package for Europe, im on Orange and they do a good deal if paid in advance.:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Making proper phone calls from your mobile will be cheaper than roaming data charges. Ring them and ask if they do a prepaid package for Europe, im on Orange and they do a good deal if paid in advance.:thumb:
:thanks2::bigsmile:azzer, only problem is that my calls are mainly to the US this is why I was hoping to use Skype through a Wifi connection.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
:thanks2::bigsmile:azzer, only problem is that my calls are mainly to the US this is why I was hoping to use Skype through a Wifi connection.

Im sure the price is the same no matter where you call when you are roaming. Calling the UK or the USA, its still an international call.

Have a look on here for extended wi-fi antennas, its been discussed at length a few times and you can usually find a wi-fi zone somewhere.

There is always the option of an internet cafe of course

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back