Buying land to live on in a MH (1 Viewer)

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
Does anyone know anything about this?
I'd love to buy a piece of land (ideally that had mains, water & sewage) to live on in my MH.
Is this completely unheard of?
Do you need permission to do this?
Is it just a case of trawling land/property sites to try and find somewhere suitable?
Does anyone know anyone who has done this?
ta

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not 100% but you may need planning consent as you will be using it for a place of dwelling.

something about the 28 day rule...cant stay in one place for more than 28 days at a time.

someone will have more accurate info.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
even though you own land there is no automatic right to live there or even park there. The planning department will be down on you like a ton of bricks and permission almost impossible to get. Sorry if it was easy we would have all done it years ago.:Sad::Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
even though you own land there is no automatic right to live there or even park there. The planning department will be down on you like a ton of bricks and permission almost impossible to get. Sorry if it was easy we would have all done it years ago.:Sad::Sad:

Have you experience in this field then??

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Have you experience in this field then??
I have owned land and made a number of applications over the years, and read extencively on the subject, otherwise I would not have voiced an opinion. However gypsies seem to get away with it so why not. I can't read the tone of your question so not sure where you are coming from.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I'd love to buy a piece of land (ideally that had mains, water & sewage) to live on in my MH.
Is this completely unheard of?
Is it just a case of trawling land/property sites to try and find somewhere suitable?
ta

Hi,

We are just about to do something like this, although we may be restoring a property and I believe that you can have a caravan or motorhome on the site for habitation use. Rather not say too much at this stage, but hope to get a lot of answers next week as this may form part of a TV programme.

David

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
then you need planning permission to site the caravan.its not a problem for short term living but they do normally put time limits when you are building restoring property. as for living on your own land you must be in cloud cuckoo land if you think its easy . it only takes one complaint and local authority have to act . yes you may get away with it . many do but dont complain when you get caught. many of us have looked into it. the best would be buy a caravan site and all live there .i know it as been mentioned before .even then 11months could be the longest you could stay sometimes. it just dont seem fair but thats the way it is. if you do find the answer let me know . life is hard .
cheers alan

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We are just about to do something like this, although we may be restoring a property and I believe that you can have a caravan or motorhome on the site for habitation use.
Hmmm.....not quite the same as what Juliandavies is hoping to do.

As you are restoring a property you will no doubt already have power, water and drainage facilities. You will also be paying rates on the property (unless there is no roof?). Many people have done exactly what you are proposing to do before so I wouldn't think it a problem.

Juliandavies is proposing something quite different. To buy a plot of land with power, water and drainage already in, then plonk his mh there to live in as and when he feels like it. Not only will he struggle to find a plot of land for sale with those facilities, I would think he would also have a struggle with the local Council to approve it.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Buy a field with a farm building big enough to put the RV in. There may be services already connected or at least water and maybe leccy.

I sesspit is pretty easy to install for waste.

Might be a way round it as you will then be "storing" your RV:winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
A local cafe owner bought a double decker bus to use as an extention for his cafe as the interior is quite small so uses the bus mainly for workmen. He has to keep moving it around his car park every month so it isnt parked in the same position for the said 28 days. At least you get a different view every month :ROFLMAO:

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Land to park

[FONT=&quot]Come to Bulgaria, land the size of a football pitch has old collapsed house on, so water, electric and mains sewer. And you can go east or west to see Europe. Price starts at about £1,000 and could even have grape vines with that.[/FONT]

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
[FONT=&quot]Come to Bulgaria, land the size of a football pitch has old collapsed house on, so water, electric and mains sewer. And you can go east or west to see Europe. Price starts at about £1,000 and could even have grape vines with that.[/FONT]

how some times I wish I could speak Bulgarian,,,

This looks like a way forward for you Julian. Failing that I think its a case of having to get the bus repaired and moving ever 28 days. some people choose to move off for a night and return.
As Dazzer says though, I have no experience in this field :winky:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Become classed as a gypsy I know of one near us stuck a motorhome on it without planning permission & now has a couple of caravans on there as well. :Angry: Agree that the planning laws are sometimes stupid but if you try to do the decent thing & do it legit then you lose.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I gave Roger (wildman) the name of a book that out lines what you propose to do,he may remember the title/sell his copy :ROFLMAO:
It basically outlines what has to be done :thumb: ie like the gypsies do - get everything organised for a full assault weekend, organise water leccy and sewage :thumb:As soon as anyone notices what you are doing they will report it to the council who will put a stop order on your property.This means you cannot do any more work hence organising the above.:ROFLMAO:
Not sure from memory what laws to hide behind but once you are on it is a uphill struggle for them to get you off, and depending where / which council you live under it can take months/ years depending on the courts /delaying the system - it may be a good idea to buy a plot with stables/water leccy on as this is a lot cheaper than one with a derelict house on
terry

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Yes I know someone who did this in Carmarthenshire and when the local council found out they had to get off the land and is only allowed there for 28 days at a time. She owned the wood outright and it had water and a stone service road in and a small shed for the gennie.
So as everyone said its not easy, sad really they were not seen from the road and were not doing any harm to anyone.:Sad:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Is it just me, or has the world gone mad? What possible objection can anyone have if you own the land and you are sanitary? There are enough laws to enable them to take action if it becomes a nuisance, so where is the logic?

Grrrr.... now I know I am definitely a grumpy old man! :Angry:
:Eeek:

4b2

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 28-day rule is that you are only allowed to stay in your MH (or caravan/hut etc.) in your own forest/land (without planning permission) for a MAXIMUM of 28 days in any one year.

There could be dfferent rules for Scotland/England.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Councils, Logic, :ROFLMAO: can't put them in the same sentence :ROFLMAO:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 28-day rule is that you are only allowed to stay in your MH (or caravan/hut etc.) in your own forest/land (without planning permission) for a MAXIMUM of 28 days in any one year.

Correct I'm sure

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
there is a well known family of 'travellers' in Oxfordshire who brought themselves a plot of land for the 'family' to settle down on. They have had no end of trouble from the council.

seems wrong somehow but there are always those who will interpret the law to suit their own desires.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
uk law allows anyone to interpret the law as he sees fit. the courts or even the lawlords decide if you have interpreted them in a correct manner. two people can interpret them different but both be right at the same time. thats uk law. in dividual cases can set a precident but someone else can also set one differently.
some coutries tell you what you can do ,in law
uk law tells you what you cant do. usually.
thats the beauty of living here. if you dont like it go and live in a country that tells you what to do. i like it here .you can string them out for years if you feel like it.
cheers alan.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Hmmm.....not quite the same as what Juliandavies is hoping to do.

As you are restoring a property you will no doubt already have power, water and drainage facilities. You will also be paying rates on the property (unless there is no roof?). Many people have done exactly what you are proposing to do before so I wouldn't think it a problem.

Juliandavies is proposing something quite different. To buy a plot of land with power, water and drainage already in, then plonk his mh there to live in as and when he feels like it. Not only will he struggle to find a plot of land for sale with those facilities, I would think he would also have a struggle with the local Council to approve it.

Bulletguy,

Thanks for clarification. I used to regularly take our local Councillors on planning committees out in the coach to view planning applications, and am aware they do not like to see Caravans / Mobile Homes used for habitation. I believe they also use Google type sattelite photos to see if any planning rules are not being adhered to over the years.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

there are a number of 28 day rules that apply. If you have land that exceeds 5 acres then you can do what you wish on that land for 28 days a year, i.e. car boot, market , bangeing etc.
However under a ruling brought in in the peace convoy days, "anything" excludes camping.
Occupation of any land in anything other than a tent requires planning permission of one sort or another. Whilst the planner revel in granting permission to build a 1000 houses on a greenfield site, prolification of single dwellings in the countryside it discouraged. The planners "most of whom are too stupid to have opinions of their own" take the guide lines as hard and fast rules. so no chance.
The other 28 day rule applies to a CFL, CL or CS stating that a single vehicle cannot spend longer than 28 days on one site. So you have to leave and come back again. There does not appear to be a set time within which you must not return. So one assumes if you had a panelvan conversion that you used to travel to work in daily you could stay endlessly on a CL etc. By be aware those sites must be licenced.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'd love to buy a piece of land (ideally that had mains, water & sewage) to live on in my MH.Is this completely unheard of?
ta
How's this for an idea. Full-timing in reverse. Sell your RV and buy a house to live in.:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back